Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 19:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

High Undergrad GPA, Low Masters GPA - will this hurt chances

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

High Undergrad GPA, Low Masters GPA - will this hurt chances [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2013, 21:43
Hi guys,

I got my Bachelors from Moscow State University (one of the best Russian schools) with a GPA of about 4.9/5. In my Masters program in Canada (top 7 school in engineering research), I banked a C in one of my courses and my GPA dropped significantly to 3.51. Without the C, it sits @ 3.7 - still not stellar.

My question: will this low grad school GPA affect my chances of admission?

I have two years experience after completing the masters working on a $5 billion project in a special task force assigned by the Alberta Government to design a Mega Oil Plant. This position is with a #1 Fortune 200 company in its category of operation.

More so, all my life has been an excellent academic ride until I got to the MSc program which suddenly derailed me. I was awarded two solid international scholarships in graduate school, was an executive on the Alberta Graduate Student Council board. Also, co-founded a wireless startup in grad school which I left to work for this major project in oil and gas and now the wireless startup has been acquired for over half a milla in less than 8 months.

Will this help matters?

I am asking as this is the first time I get to worry about my grades becoming an obstacle. Any suggestions on how to make my application stand out?

I hope to write GMAT in October of this year. I am an aspiring class of 2016 @ either of HBS, Stanford, Sloan, Columbia or Wharton.

Career objective: investment banking in the energy sector/or telecommunications or strategic management in oil and gas.

Thanks and let me know your thoughts.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 311 [0], given: 166

Premium Member
Re: High Undergrad GPA, Low Masters GPA - will this hurt chances [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2013, 05:40
opcomm wrote:
My question: will this low grad school GPA affect my chances of admission?

I wouldn't sweat it. Adcoms tend to care more about undergraduate GPAs because:

1) All Applicants have a bachelor's degree
2) Undergrad GPAs are reported on class profiles and can be used in rankings - graduate GPAs don't factor into this.

I'm in the opposite situation as you, a higher masters GPA and a low-ish undergrad. I was hoping having a quant-heavy masters would have carried some weight, but judging by my results, it didn't help much.

Good luck - crush the GMAT and that Master's GPA won't matter much - if at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
Schools: Goizueta '16
GPA: 3.34

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Re: High Undergrad GPA, Low Masters GPA - will this hurt chances [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2013, 21:07
Cobra - can you elaborate a little more about your undergraduate and graduate school experience? Also, what are you majoring in for your MBA?

For me, I graduated from a top regional university with a degree in banking and finance. Currently, I am in my Master's of Accountancy from a state university.

Thanks,
T.

Current Student
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 311 [0], given: 166

Premium Member
Re: High Undergrad GPA, Low Masters GPA - will this hurt chances [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2013, 06:17
UGAtoUNC wrote:
Cobra - can you elaborate a little more about your undergraduate and graduate school experience? Also, what are you majoring in for your MBA?

For me, I graduated from a top regional university with a degree in banking and finance. Currently, I am in my Master's of Accountancy from a state university.

Sure. I graduated with a BS in Mechanical Engineering from an undergrad engineering program consistently in the top 20 according to US News. My GPA was a pedestrian 3.09. After about six years, the military sent me to get my masters in Civil Engineering at a Top 50 graduate program according to US News (despite the fact that I was admitted to a top 10 program, but that's another can of worms). My hope was that getting a 3.7 in my masters (finishing it in 1-year no less) would score me some points with the adcom, but I doubt it did. I'm interested in marketing, and grad school incurred a 3-year military obligation which delayed my application to last fall (I decided during my masters that I wanted to leave the military to get an MBA). This probably looks strange to the adcom that I would get a masters in civil engineering and then apply for an MBA. In hindsight, I wish I used the optional essay (even though I mentioned it in the interview) that I went to Grad school on orders and incurred a 3-year obligation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: High Undergrad GPA, Low Masters GPA - will this hurt chances [#permalink] New post 07 May 2013, 05:14
I am also curious about this. I recently graduated a masters in finance program (top school) with a 3.4 GPA, my undergrad GPA was 3.8

Anyone else have experience/input on this situation?

I'm also hoping to attending a top bschool for MBA.
Re: High Undergrad GPA, Low Masters GPA - will this hurt chances   [#permalink] 07 May 2013, 05:14