Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 07:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

High verbal but Low Quant Score

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

High verbal but Low Quant Score [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2013, 04:53
i have given gmat twice

aug 2011 total 660 81% Q 47 76% V 34 68% aa 5.5

april 2012 total 720 94% Q 47 76% V 42 95% aa 4.5

i couldn't focus on last 3 questions of quant due to shortage of time (no excuses but may b its due to the fact that i had acute cough during exam day and focusing was a trouble )
i was initially very happy about crossing the 700 mark but i am really worried about my low and stagnant quant percentile.

i m from business background and aim to do phd in marketing (though not in quantitative marketing but behavioral)
I have got strong gpa ( high scores in statistics ,finance and economics ) and work experience as a research assistant with reputed university leading to one international publication

How badly will quant component affect my chances since i have heard phd admission committee gives lot of significance to quantitative abilities.

Should i retake the test ?

please help !
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
WE: Consulting (Education)
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 22

Re: High verbal but Low Quant Score [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2013, 13:45
Hi ankita21cen - Congrats on getting a strong overall score with that second attempt!

We know how stressful this stuff is and we understand your doubts, but we would advise that in most cases, someone with this score history, at this stage of the admissions cycle, should put the GMAT behind them and proceed to the next part of their applications. We can't say for sure that that's what YOU should do, because we don't know anything about you except for GMAT scores, but we're betting that it is the advice we'd end up giving you after gathering a lot more information.

Your two 47 quant scores are nothing to be ashamed of - the 71 percentile is not the best-of-the-best but it's respectable. You're right to wonder about the imbalanced score but the improvement in verbal is pretty impressive, and that does count for something too. Because you ended up at 47 twice, then we would be skeptical that you'd be able to bring the quant up in a radical fashion from here. If you test again and get a 48, it doesn't do anything more for you - it would only underscore your abilities. You'd need to get a 49, probably - and that 2-point jump might be hard to pull off. We don't know, obviously, that's something only you can say.

The only reason we don't care for your 720 score is that unfortunate dip in the AWA - a 4.5 is actually sad to see, as it's below what we would expect from you, and it's so much off from what you did before. We have only once told someone to retake the GMAT only due to AWA so we don't think you should retest just for this point. A 4.5 won't keep you out of bschool. But it's a glitch in the profile - you may want to share with the adcom the fact that you were sick during the test (you could tell them this in the optional essay).

We're guessing that you're coming from the ever-popular pool of Indian candidates :-) which is why you're worried. The average GMAT for accepted Indian students is around 720, so you're actually in good shape with this recent test. There's a lot of moving parts to a bschool app so we can't definitively say "yes" or "no", you should or shouldn't retest - but our instincts are saying that you could be fine. It really needs to be examined within the scope of your entire profile - if you want to share more details with us, we'd be happy to try and help you further. Ack - sloppy reading. You did tell us you got good grades etc. On the whole we would bet that you'll be fine. The essays, recs, resume matter a LOT. Turn your attention to that now. All that takes a lot of work too. Others are likely to have different opinions but we say you should go ahead with this 720 score.

EssaySnark

EssaySnark Essays Reviewed on GMAT Club FOR FREE!

Intern
Intern

Re: High verbal but Low Quant Score [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2013, 02:21
thanks for the reply !

heres a brief about myself

i have done both my undergraduate and graduate study in business administration from one of the top universities in India earning a GPA of 3.7 and 3.8 respectively and work experience of about 8 months as a research assistant (co authored a paper published in a reputed international journal)

Would like to mention it again that i m applying for phd in management and not mba and have heard their Adcom's criteria is quite different.

i am in no rush to apply for fall 2014 either. All i aim for is to get admit from one of top 20 b schools and wont mind waiting if that requires that i take additional work experience in research particularly for 1 or two years , publish 2-3 research papers more with some professors etc so that my profile becomes increasingly convincing about my research abilities and can overshadow the gmat scores somehow.

Now the biggest question is Am i thinking on the right track?

Re: High verbal but Low Quant Score [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2013, 05:13
ankita21cen wrote:
Would like to mention it again that i m applying for phd in management and not mba and have heard their Adcom's criteria is quite different.

Wow - totally overlooked that! Glad you mentioned it again. The adcoms do look for very different things for PhD candidates. It's both easier, and more difficult, to get into a doctoral program: Easier, because if you're here on the GMAT Club forums that means you're doing your research into how to write your application, and often applicants do a real sucky job on their SOPs; also there's a lot less competition, without nearly the volumes of applications that the MBA programs receive, so you have a better chance of standing out; more difficult because there's not nearly as many spots available either.

On your college GPA, how did you come up with those numbers? We're a little nervous about how high you're reporting - not because we're doubting your performance in school, but because those are both very high GPAs and very few people end up with grades that high. It's tricky to convert grades from the different Indian systems so you need to be cautious. We're not familiar with many Indian schools that report academics in the 4.0 scale so we're guessing that you converted this yourself. Did you have WES or another service do it? If so then you're fine, if not, just be careful; you should be conservative with this, it can look really bad if you tell the adcom your grades were X and then end up being Y.

Whether your current GMAT is actually going to be strong enough really depends on which specific doctoral program you're talking about. We have to backtrack on what we said before - and apologies for not reading your original post carefully enough (what you're going for is really rare around here so we didn't even notice the bit about PhD in the first read, we just assumed you're doing MBA like everyone else). Hate to punt on this but we really would need to know the specifics of your background, and which schools/programs, before commenting further - it would be irresponsible of us to make any categorical statements at this point without getting those details. It's possible that everything we said initially is still spot-on accurate but we honestly can't say for sure without digging in. You can try PMing us with more if you don't want to post publicly but really, this is the type of situation that would benefit from our personalized assessment service called the Comprehensive Profile Review (sorry for the upsell, but yours is an unusual case).

EssaySnark

Intern
Intern

Re: High verbal but Low Quant Score [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2013, 05:21
thanks for the prompt reply !

yes i converted my scores using WES evaluation service ! and thanks for the link of personalised review! Efforts much appreciated xx
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

Re: High verbal but Low Quant Score [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2013, 12:18
Quote:

Can someone explain the giant shifts in percentiles vs V/Qxx in only 8 months?

Re: High verbal but Low Quant Score [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2013, 07:39
MadCowMartin wrote:
Quote:

Hey MadCowMartin - not sure if you're reading the data right. Those scores are:
Aug 2011 - 660 / 81%
Q47 / 76%
V34 / 68%

Apr 2012 - 720 / 94%
Q47 / 76%
V42 / 95%

As of this moment (July 2013), a 47Q actually represents the 73rd percentile, and 42V is now 96%, so those have shifted. The percentiles that the OP reported were at the time of their respective tests. The changes occur when more people take the test; percentiles are recalculated based on the recent crop of test-takers. Recalcs used to happen about once a year but after IR was launched last June, the GMAC released recalcs more often as they acquired a larger population of tests with the IR component included.

Hope this helps, but let us know if we misunderstood your question entirely. :-)
EssaySnark

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

Re: High verbal but Low Quant Score [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2013, 07:51
essaysnark wrote:
MadCowMartin wrote:
Quote:

Hey MadCowMartin - not sure if you're reading the data right. Those scores are:
Aug 2011 - 660 / 81%
Q47 / 76%
V34 / 68%

Apr 2012 - 720 / 94%
Q47 / 76%
V42 / 95%

As of this moment (July 2013), a 47Q actually represents the 73rd percentile, and 42V is now 96%, so those have shifted. The percentiles that the OP reported were at the time of their respective tests. The changes occur when more people take the test; percentiles are recalculated based on the recent crop of test-takers. Recalcs used to happen about once a year but after IR was launched last June, the GMAC released recalcs more often as they acquired a larger population of tests with the IR component included.

Hope this helps, but let us know if we misunderstood your question entirely. :-)
EssaySnark

Thank you for your reply EssaySnark,

I did misread, sorry for that. I read it as:

August 2011:
Q47 - 81%
V34 - 76%
aa 5.5 - 68%

April 2012
Q47 - 94%
V42 - 76%
aa. 4.5 - 95%

Very stupid interpretation now that I think of it, I guess my brain was drained from taking the GMAT yesterday. Luckily my reading comprehension was better on the test (V40), lol!

Still interesting to read about the change regarding IR tho :)

Re: High verbal but Low Quant Score [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2013, 08:03
Re: High verbal but Low Quant Score   [#permalink] 05 Jul 2013, 08:03