Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 16:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Higher Expectations with a lower GMAT Score

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 Sep 2012
Posts: 45
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V32
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V40
GPA: 4
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 19

Higher Expectations with a lower GMAT Score [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2013, 10:05
Hi

I had appeared for the GMAT on 11.02.2013. I've scored less than what I was aiming for. My score is - 680, AWA - 6, IR - 7. I was scoring pretty awesomely on my practice tests (from 720 to 750) everytime so I had prepared my list of 5 schools according to those scores. One of the schools was LBS.

Now after a month or so I've received an email from LBS, saying essentially this -
"I am sure you would agree that the GMAT test is one of the more challenging parts of the application process, so your good score is certainly a step towards a successful application!"

My query is - I am really excited to see that LBS considers my score "good". But then I think to myself that maybe LBS is calling it a good score because it's above average according to GMAC. Or is it possible that it's good enough for LBS according to their standards. I know that the average GMAT score for LBS is way more than 680. But then averages are just averages.

Please tell me what to make of the statement in the email from LBS.

My profile - Mech. Engg. from NIT Jalandhar, India. Graduated 2nd in my class with an internship in Germany sponsored by DAAD. Have a couple more international achievements - Invitation by NASA to visit their research facility after winning a competition on global level and won a competition by AIAA at the Asian Level. I have played basketball at the national level in India. Pretty decent social work. Rest is the usual - Organizing committees in university fests, compering various stage shows etc.
The main deterrent in my profile - I will have a work ex only of 2 years by the end of July, 2013. Coupled with my "less than expected" GMAT score.

Please tell me whether there is any hope in applying to LBS.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 Sep 2012
Posts: 45
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V32
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V40
GPA: 4
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 19

Re: Higher Expectations with a lower GMAT Score [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2013, 02:28
Hi Again

I forgot to mention that my work experience is in NTPC Ltd. (Thermal Power Generation Sector) as an Operations engineer for almost 2 years.

Thanks. Hoping for some positive replies. :) :) .
Current Student
User avatar
Status: Too close for missiles, switching to guns.
Joined: 23 Oct 2012
Posts: 762
Location: United States
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 305 [0], given: 163

Premium Member
Re: Higher Expectations with a lower GMAT Score [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2013, 07:15
The good news: It's comfortably in the mid 80% range of 650-750.
The bad news: It's 30 points below the median of 710.

http://poetsandquants.com/school-profile/london-business-school/

IMO, I think the email is the marketing arm of LBS encouraging you/thanking you for applying. Have you applied? If not, and if you were crushing practice exams and have time to take it again, it wouldn't hurt. Obviously LBS admits people with a 680, but if you get a ding/WL with a 680 - you can only wonder if a higher score could have helped.
_________________

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 11 Dec 2012
Posts: 313
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 66

Re: Higher Expectations with a lower GMAT Score [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2013, 08:34
Expert's post
kartikdatwani wrote:
Hi

I had appeared for the GMAT on 11.02.2013. I've scored less than what I was aiming for. My score is - 680, AWA - 6, IR - 7. I was scoring pretty awesomely on my practice tests (from 720 to 750) everytime so I had prepared my list of 5 schools according to those scores. One of the schools was LBS.

Now after a month or so I've received an email from LBS, saying essentially this -
"I am sure you would agree that the GMAT test is one of the more challenging parts of the application process, so your good score is certainly a step towards a successful application!"

My query is - I am really excited to see that LBS considers my score "good". But then I think to myself that maybe LBS is calling it a good score because it's above average according to GMAC. Or is it possible that it's good enough for LBS according to their standards. I know that the average GMAT score for LBS is way more than 680. But then averages are just averages.

Please tell me what to make of the statement in the email from LBS.

My profile - Mech. Engg. from NIT Jalandhar, India. Graduated 2nd in my class with an internship in Germany sponsored by DAAD. Have a couple more international achievements - Invitation by NASA to visit their research facility after winning a competition on global level and won a competition by AIAA at the Asian Level. I have played basketball at the national level in India. Pretty decent social work. Rest is the usual - Organizing committees in university fests, compering various stage shows etc.
The main deterrent in my profile - I will have a work ex only of 2 years by the end of July, 2013. Coupled with my "less than expected" GMAT score.

Please tell me whether there is any hope in applying to LBS.


Hi kartikdatwani, I'd say there is certainly hope for applying given the e-mail you received, and your extracurricular activities can either make or break an application with a 680 (very good score, but less than LBS average, as you mentioned). If you only have two years work experience, it certainly sounds like you're pretty young and could reapply again next year. Even with the same 680 score, you'll have more more experience and presumably more activities than this year.

So, there's obviously no guarantee of getting in to LBS with your current profile, but I'd say it's worth a shot. Worst case, it doesn't pan out and you reapply next year. If you're dead set on getting in somewhere this year, then you can apply to a couple of schools.

Best of luck on your applications! Please let us know how things work out if you can.

Thanks!
-Ron
_________________

Ron Awad
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting Services
Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 Sep 2012
Posts: 45
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V32
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V40
GPA: 4
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 19

Re: Higher Expectations with a lower GMAT Score [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2013, 10:39
Hi

Thanks CobraKai and VeritasPrepRon.

CobraKai - I was infact crushing practice tests. On the test day I believe I ran out of luck. I am one of those who didn't have a purely pleasant test day experience. Anyways I learned a lot from that experience and can now move on and prepare again, even harder this time. I do have time on my hand so I will most probably appear again for the GMAT. Though not fully decided on this.

VeritasPrepRon - Thanks for encouraging me and reaffirming my strategy of "what's the harm in applying". I do agree that my work experience is very less than the average at LBS. I think the work experience criterion gains importance when the admissions committee wants to see the variety of life experiences an applicant has had or his/her emotional and professional maturity. Is it so? Or is it because of some other reasons which I cannot fathom?

I will certainly let the forum know how things work out. Please let me know what extra I can do ( besides improving my GMAT score) in order to stand out in the competitive environment that is the LBS.

Also, I am considering applying to ISB too. Is my profile good enough for ISB?

Thanks again for the replies. :) :). Deeply grateful.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 Sep 2012
Posts: 45
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V32
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V40
GPA: 4
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 19

Re: Higher Expectations with a lower GMAT Score [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2013, 04:17
CobraKai wrote:
The good news: It's comfortably in the mid 80% range of 650-750.
The bad news: It's 30 points below the median of 710.

http://poetsandquants.com/school-profile/london-business-school/

IMO, I think the email is the marketing arm of LBS encouraging you/thanking you for applying. Have you applied? If not, and if you were crushing practice exams and have time to take it again, it wouldn't hurt. Obviously LBS admits people with a 680, but if you get a ding/WL with a 680 - you can only wonder if a higher score could have helped.


Hi CobraKai

I just want to let you know that I took your advise and appeared for the GMAT again. This time I scored a 730 (Q50 V40) [Awaiting IR and AWA scores]. I am now pretty sure that my GMAT score is pretty decent. I just want to know now whether applying to LBS this year makes sense, given my profile, which I've mentioned in the 1st post on this Topic.

P.S. - Congrats for making it to Johnson. :) .
Current Student
User avatar
Status: Too close for missiles, switching to guns.
Joined: 23 Oct 2012
Posts: 762
Location: United States
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 305 [0], given: 163

Premium Member
Re: Higher Expectations with a lower GMAT Score [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2013, 16:19
kartikdatwani wrote:
CobraKai wrote:
The good news: It's comfortably in the mid 80% range of 650-750.
The bad news: It's 30 points below the median of 710.

http://poetsandquants.com/school-profile/london-business-school/

IMO, I think the email is the marketing arm of LBS encouraging you/thanking you for applying. Have you applied? If not, and if you were crushing practice exams and have time to take it again, it wouldn't hurt. Obviously LBS admits people with a 680, but if you get a ding/WL with a 680 - you can only wonder if a higher score could have helped.


Hi CobraKai

I just want to let you know that I took your advise and appeared for the GMAT again. This time I scored a 730 (Q50 V40) [Awaiting IR and AWA scores]. I am now pretty sure that my GMAT score is pretty decent. I just want to know now whether applying to LBS this year makes sense, given my profile, which I've mentioned in the 1st post on this Topic.

P.S. - Congrats for making it to Johnson. :) .


Thanks! Congrats on your score! I'm not sure how much work experience LBS likes, but you can be sure that no one has ever gotten dinged because of a 730 GMAT. I'd say go for it if it's what you want!
_________________

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 Sep 2012
Posts: 45
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V32
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V40
GPA: 4
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 19

Re: Higher Expectations with a lower GMAT Score [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2013, 08:33
CobraKai wrote:
kartikdatwani wrote:
CobraKai wrote:
The good news: It's comfortably in the mid 80% range of 650-750.
The bad news: It's 30 points below the median of 710.

http://poetsandquants.com/school-profile/london-business-school/

IMO, I think the email is the marketing arm of LBS encouraging you/thanking you for applying. Have you applied? If not, and if you were crushing practice exams and have time to take it again, it wouldn't hurt. Obviously LBS admits people with a 680, but if you get a ding/WL with a 680 - you can only wonder if a higher score could have helped.


Hi CobraKai

I just want to let you know that I took your advise and appeared for the GMAT again. This time I scored a 730 (Q50 V40) [Awaiting IR and AWA scores]. I am now pretty sure that my GMAT score is pretty decent. I just want to know now whether applying to LBS this year makes sense, given my profile, which I've mentioned in the 1st post on this Topic.

P.S. - Congrats for making it to Johnson. :) .


Thanks! Congrats on your score! I'm not sure how much work experience LBS likes, but you can be sure that no one has ever gotten dinged because of a 730 GMAT. I'd say go for it if it's what you want!


Thanks a lot CobraKai.
Re: Higher Expectations with a lower GMAT Score   [#permalink] 14 Aug 2013, 08:33
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic IR Score Significantly Lower Than I Expected NoriNYC 4 03 Jun 2014, 17:41
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic Old GMAT score was higher... jenl2881 16 27 Nov 2013, 19:14
Experts publish their posts in the topic GMAT score was lower than I expected…what do I do now? bryantmichaels 0 25 Jul 2013, 19:36
Scored higher on GMAT than expected... need help with target rcharchar 1 08 Sep 2012, 03:40
Are they easier, harder? Will it score you lower? higher? asdert 3 24 Jul 2008, 14:54
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Higher Expectations with a lower GMAT Score

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.