Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 02:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Higher Quantitative Score by Missing Early Questions

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Higher Quantitative Score by Missing Early Questions [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2012, 01:57
Hi there!

I recently purchased the Manhattan GMAT online set of tests, and had a question regarding Quantitative strategy. I'm new to these forums and haven't spoken with any GMAT experts, so I apologize in advance in my question has already been answered. If anyone could reply to this thread (including fellow test takers or experts), I would be extremely grateful!

I came up with an interesting observation after completing three practice exams from Manhattan GMAT:

Exam #1: Q(50, 95%), V(45, 99%), Total: 770
Exam #2: Q(48, 86%), V(41, 93%), Total: 730
Exam #3: Q(51, 99%), V(45, 99%), Total: 780

I noticed that while my first two exams averaged 31 questions each with 700-800 difficulty, my third exam consisted of only 8 questions with 700-800 difficulty (I missed two questions early on, and so the difficulty of all subsequent questions was much easier).

Thus, I was hoping you could tell me if missing questions early on in the Quantitative section could potentially be a strategy for attaining a higher overall math score (via easier questions).

Thanks again for your help, and I look forward to hearing back from you!
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1147

Kudos [?]: 5331 [1] , given: 165

Re: Higher Quantitative Score by Missing Early Questions [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2012, 00:23
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
cbears2010 wrote:
Hi there!

I recently purchased the Manhattan GMAT online set of tests, and had a question regarding Quantitative strategy. I'm new to these forums and haven't spoken with any GMAT experts, so I apologize in advance in my question has already been answered. If anyone could reply to this thread (including fellow test takers or experts), I would be extremely grateful!

I came up with an interesting observation after completing three practice exams from Manhattan GMAT:

Exam #1: Q(50, 95%), V(45, 99%), Total: 770
Exam #2: Q(48, 86%), V(41, 93%), Total: 730
Exam #3: Q(51, 99%), V(45, 99%), Total: 780

I noticed that while my first two exams averaged 31 questions each with 700-800 difficulty, my third exam consisted of only 8 questions with 700-800 difficulty (I missed two questions early on, and so the difficulty of all subsequent questions was much easier).

Thus, I was hoping you could tell me if missing questions early on in the Quantitative section could potentially be a strategy for attaining a higher overall math score (via easier questions).

Thanks again for your help, and I look forward to hearing back from you!

It is not just accuracy but also the level of questions you get that defines your score. If you get easier questions, your score will be lower. If you answer easy questions incorrectly, you will keep getting easier questions till you answer them correctly. Then you will keep getting tougher questions. Skipping 2-3 questions in the beginning will delay reaching the tougher questions by some questions and your score will suffer.
Do not make strategies based on MGMAT tests or even GMAT prep tests for that matter. The algorithm of actual GMAT is not known to anyone outside GMAC (that includes all prep test companies). So the strategies you try to build using other people's algorithms could ruin your score. Try to do as well as you can on as many questions as you can within the stipulated time. That is how you will maximize your score.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Higher Quantitative Score by Missing Early Questions [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2012, 01:00
Karishma,

Thanks for your logical and well-reasoned response.

I was just surprised that an MGMAT Quantitative question set with only 8/37 advanced problems could generate a higher score than ones with 34 and 28 advanced problems.

Nevertheless, since the actual GMAT algorithm is unknown, I'll refrain from pulling any funky stunts on the real test.

Regards,

Justin
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

Re: Higher Quantitative Score by Missing Early Questions [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2012, 10:40
This post received
KUDOS
Dude - good question, it really is. But from all the folks that I talked to earlier on when I started my prep - and then, spent a few hours trying to research this on forums - I had just one takeaway:
Just leave it be. Study Hard, Give it your best. And, there's no substitute for that.

You probably already knew that, but sometimes it takes hearing it from an external entity to reinforce the idea. It did for me. Thanks.

PS: Also, if there was such a strategy, it would be out in the open. Don't ya think? That would then prompt GMAC to make amends, and we'd be back to where we started from! Just my 2c.

Last edited by fxsunny on 24 Feb 2012, 07:55, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V31
GPA: 3.45
WE: Marketing (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 41

Re: Higher Quantitative Score by Missing Early Questions [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2012, 03:53
Yeah I second Karishma's comment, although I haven't taken the test yet but after spending some free time on trying to figure out the GMAC algorithm, now I can assure you that the best way out is to study rather to analyse the algo..
Affiliations: IIT Alumni Association, ISB Alumni Association
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Followers: 46

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 27

Re: Higher Quantitative Score by Missing Early Questions [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2012, 06:01
Hi

My two cents:

I have heard from quite a few people on this forum that, in case of MGMAT tests, if you do very well on your first few tests, you exhaust a decent chunk of the higher difficulty question pool and thus, the number of 700+ level questions in the subsequent tests could theoretically be much smaller. Am a tad surprised that this happened as early as the third test though! Do let us know how the fourth test went and the number of 700+ questions you got.

Though I have taken all the MGMAT tests, I wasn't diligent enough to go through each test I took and note the number of questions of each level of difficulty.

A KUDO A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY

Introducing Best Debrief Writer & Contributor of the Month!: introducing-best-debrief-writer-contributor-of-the-month-127355.html
My GMAT debrief: gmat-760-50-q-42-v-satisfied-124675.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Higher Quantitative Score by Missing Early Questions   [#permalink] 24 Feb 2012, 06:01