Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Dec 2014, 11:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

higher ranked msf vs. lower ranked mba

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Bentley College (McCallum Graduate School of Business), Iona College (Hagan School of Business), Fairleigh Dickinson (Silberman College of Business)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

higher ranked msf vs. lower ranked mba [#permalink] New post 12 May 2010, 06:48
This post received
KUDOS
I have recently been accepted to Bentley into their MSF program and Fairleigh Dickinson into their MBA program. I am also waiting to hear from Iona (MBA) but I am pretty positive I will get in.
My predicament is that I want to stay in the tri-state area but I belive that Bentley is the best of the three schools.
I have been reading previous posts that stated it almost is not worth going to a lower ranked MBA program. Unfortunetly my options were limited due to a low GMAT score.
I guess I am just hoping to hear that I will still get a good job coming from either Iona or FDU but I would appreciate some honest feedback.

stephanie

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 39

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: higher ranked msf vs. lower ranked mba [#permalink] New post 14 May 2010, 17:44
I have a similar question. How valuable is a name? Not getting a lot of response from others. I wish I knew the answer to this.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Bentley College (McCallum Graduate School of Business), Iona College (Hagan School of Business), Fairleigh Dickinson (Silberman College of Business)

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: higher ranked msf vs. lower ranked mba [#permalink] New post 17 May 2010, 05:02
Me too, it's getting down to the last minute and I'm still unsure. If you get any feedback that would be great if you could keep me posted!

stephanie

SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 74

Kudos [?]: 690 [0], given: 548

Reviews Badge
Re: higher ranked msf vs. lower ranked mba [#permalink] New post 17 May 2010, 09:28
Not an expert in MSF degrees, but if you are intending to do your MBA at the school that you mentioned above, I think your opportunities post MBA will be very limited.

Bentley is a decent business school for other programs, such as accounting and etc. I am not sure how well they are known for their MSF degree or what kind of relationship they have with Wall St firms, but one thing looks clear to me. Unless you will be doing your MBA part time, that MBA degree won't open many doors.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: higher ranked msf vs. lower ranked mba [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2010, 19:52
nink wrote:
Not an expert in MSF degrees, but if you are intending to do your MBA at the school that you mentioned above, I think your opportunities post MBA will be very limited.

Bentley is a decent business school for other programs, such as accounting and etc. I am not sure how well they are known for their MSF degree or what kind of relationship they have with Wall St firms, but one thing looks clear to me. Unless you will be doing your MBA part time, that MBA degree won't open many doors.

Wait, do you go to Yale?

"The public Treasury, which should only exist as a conduit conveying the people's tribute to its legitimate objects of expenditure, becomes a hoarding place for money needlessly withdrawn from trade and the people's use, thus crippling our national energies, suspending our country's development, preventing investment in productive enterprise, threatening financial disturbance, and inviting schemes of public plunder."

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

Re: higher ranked msf vs. lower ranked mba [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2010, 20:59
Do the MSF at Bentley. Their program is decent and will place well in Boston. If your dream is to work in finance those MBA's you mentioned will not help. If you want to work in F500 than many of them will consider an MSF to be at the same level as an MBA.

Do the Bentley program if you are still not happy apply for T1-30 MBA programs in a couple years.

Master in Finance HQ
http://www.msfhq.com

SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 74

Kudos [?]: 690 [0], given: 548

Reviews Badge
Re: higher ranked msf vs. lower ranked mba [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2010, 05:56
GroverCleveland wrote:
Wait, do you go to Yale?

Hmmm......no one has ever asked me that before in the forum..... :lol:

I guess there is first time for everything.

P.S. - Yes
Current Student
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 295

Re: higher ranked msf vs. lower ranked mba [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2010, 09:18
I can perhaps offer some advice. I have a tier-1 technical undergrad and a MSFE in a tier-2 college near NYC (cost was a major factor - 3x cheaper?!). While the academics covered in MSFE in the tier-2 college was probably equivalent to the academics in a tier-1 college, the quality of the networking and career placements is dependent on the school. My tier-2 college placed well only for the NYC area for boutiques, diversified financial firms, and asset management firms and not so much on the widely known investment, bulge banks.

Upon graduation, while I received offers from my local's career placement services, I leveraged my network from my tier-1 undergrad to secure a sweet job in a top firm halfway across the country in a major city. I'm now looking at a tier-1 MBA for a career switch (sort of).

I would definitely research your schools' employment reports and talk with professors as well as alums to see what your career prospects are before committing to a school. Then you can figure out if the school is the right fit for you based on the data from the employment reports. If Bentley places well in Boston or has a significant number of alumni there, then it might be a good fit for you. Just my two cents.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: higher ranked msf vs. lower ranked mba [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2010, 23:11
gkumar wrote:
I can perhaps offer some advice. I have a tier-1 technical undergrad and a MSFE in a tier-2 college near NYC (cost was a major factor - 3x cheaper?!). While the academics covered in MSFE in the tier-2 college was probably equivalent to the academics in a tier-1 college, the quality of the networking and career placements is dependent on the school. My tier-2 college placed well only for the NYC area for boutiques, diversified financial firms, and asset management firms and not so much on the widely known investment, bulge banks.

Upon graduation, while I received offers from my local's career placement services, I leveraged my network from my tier-1 undergrad to secure a sweet job in a top firm halfway across the country in a major city. I'm now looking at a tier-1 MBA for a career switch (sort of).

I would definitely research your schools' employment reports and talk with professors as well as alums to see what your career prospects are before committing to a school. Then you can figure out if the school is the right fit for you based on the data from the employment reports. If Bentley places well in Boston or has a significant number of alumni there, then it might be a good fit for you. Just my two cents.

hey thank you for your advice

Can you please share your profile, college from where you did MSF and the your job profile.
Current Student
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 295

Re: higher ranked msf vs. lower ranked mba [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2010, 08:44
nikhilkatira wrote:
gkumar wrote:

hey thank you for your advice

Can you please share your profile, college from where you did MSF and the your job profile.

Hey, PM me with your questions.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: higher ranked msf vs. lower ranked mba [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2010, 20:13
gkumar wrote:

Thanks for you information i newly join and your post help me.
Re: higher ranked msf vs. lower ranked mba   [#permalink] 25 Oct 2010, 20:13