Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 06:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

His campaign for sanitary conditions in operating rooms

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [2] , given: 0

His campaign for sanitary conditions in operating rooms [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2008, 07:53
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

23% (01:53) correct 77% (00:56) wrong based on 594 sessions
His campaign for sanitary conditions in operating rooms finally successful, Sir Joseph Lister lent his name to the company that developed Listerine, the first antibacterial liquid.

(A) His campaign for sanitary conditions in operating rooms finally successful
(B) Since his campaign for sanitary conditions in operating rooms had been eventually successful
(C) Because of the eventual success of his campaigning for sanitary conditions in operating rooms
(D) His campaign for sanitary conditions in operating rooms being eventually successful
(E) Campaigning, eventually successfully, for conditions to be sanitary in operating rooms
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [2] , given: 0

Re: SC - Campaign for sanitary conditions [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2008, 00:00
This post received
KUDOS
aviator83 wrote:
IMO (A) is correct as (A) uses absolute phrase construction.
And by POE also i think (A) is the only good choice.
Nice question Namurad. +1

Thanks aviator. Yes A is the correct choice. I came across such a question for the first time. Tomorrow is my D-Day and I am still coming across new concepts. Damn this SC. New day..new concept. :d
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

Re: SC - Campaign for sanitary conditions [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2008, 15:56
This post received
KUDOS
A is the answer, I think.
I don't know if I'm correct: the absolute phrase "His campaign for sanitary conditions in operating rooms finally successful" is used to modify the sentence. I read about absolute construction somewhere in this forum

haveaniceday

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 58 [1] , given: 0

Re: SC - Campaign for sanitary conditions [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2008, 20:37
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
A gr8 Q.
Straight into my log.(+1).

My 2 cents:
His campaign for sanitary conditions in operating rooms finally successful, Sir Joseph Lister lent his name to the company that developed Listerine, the first antibacterial liquid.

A. His campaign for sanitary conditions in operating rooms finally successful
[ This option misses the verb, thus it can only act as a modifier to something. So here
it does modify Sir Lister. Its less expensive and clear]

B. Since his campaign for sanitary conditions in operating rooms had been eventually successful
C. Because of the eventual success of his campaigning for sanitary conditions in operating rooms
[ B and C try to use
Because/Since IC, IC kind of format. Which can also be correct ( I don't agree to people who say
it is not a cause-effect relation). But B uses "had been" were simple past can be used. And C uses
campaigning - campaign it self suggest a on going process. "of his campaigning" is akward.]
Even if B and C would have been correct, they are wordier than A !!
D. His campaign for sanitary conditions in operating rooms being eventually successful
[ being ]
E. Campaigning, eventually successfully, for conditions to be sanitary in operating rooms
[ changes the meaning of the sentence]
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 0

Re: SC - Campaign for sanitary conditions [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2008, 09:28
This post received
KUDOS
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 52

Kudos [?]: 181 [1] , given: 17

Re: SC - Campaign for sanitary conditions [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2009, 21:36
This post received
KUDOS
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 73 [1] , given: 149

Re: SC - Campaign for sanitary conditions [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2010, 09:31
This post received
KUDOS
saxenashobhit wrote:
I am still not able to grasp the concept..how is A correct...Does someone have more examples of this sort...i read this is appositive...somewhere I read this is absolute construction

APPOSITE MODIFIER IS A NOUN MODIFIER . IT MODIFIES A SINGLE NOUN

My Post Invites Discussions not answers
Try to give back something to the Forum.I want your explanations, right now !
Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 35 [1] , given: 1

Re: SC - Campaign for sanitary conditions [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2010, 10:20
This post received
KUDOS
use this link to learn about absoulte phrase

http://www.testmagic.com/grammar/explan ... uction.asp
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [1] , given: 25

Reviews Badge
Re: SC - Campaign for sanitary conditions [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2010, 18:38
This post received
KUDOS
IMO A

Appositive explaining... good one

Kudos if any of my post helps you !!!

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 294

Kudos [?]: 692 [1] , given: 6

Re: His campaign for sanitary conditions in operating rooms [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2013, 18:38
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Responding to why (A) is not wrong:

Take a look at that first part of the sentence before the comma:

"His campaign for sanitary conditions in operating rooms finally successful"

--notice it is NOT a complete sentence.

So since it is not a complete sentence, it must be a descriptive phrase. What does that descriptive phrase modify?

It modifies Sir Joseph Lister.

We can confirm this with the word "HIS" -which must reference that person.

Cut the fluff and read it like this:

"His campaign finally successful, Sir Joseph did blah blah blah.."

Likewise:

"His GMAT studies finally complete, Abhay went out and partied."--same idea - it's fine.

http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... stion/3189

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Manager
Manager
Schools: Chicago R2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - Campaign for sanitary conditions [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2008, 08:15
B is my choice.
A. His campaign for sanitary conditions in operating rooms finally successful
omitted verb
B. Since his campaign for sanitary conditions in operating rooms had been eventually successful
I became confused by since but after considiration moved to this one
C. Because of the eventual success of his campaigning for sanitary conditions in operating rooms
it was my 1st choice after POE but "his campaigning" seems wordy and not idiomatic (for my non-native ear :-D )
D. His campaign for sanitary conditions in operating rooms being eventually successful
just out - wordy, not clear, etc
E. Campaigning, eventually successfully, for conditions to be sanitary in operating rooms
even more strange than D
Manager
Manager

Re: SC - Campaign for sanitary conditions [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2008, 08:32
Quote:
"had been eventually successful" - "had been" is past perfect, and then "eventually" is incorrect because with the use of "had been" we need a participle ({verb + -ing} acting as a nown.) generally speaking (but not always required). Also, eventually seems to give the meaning of future tense like "He will eventually get better at sentence correction."

jallenmorris, I disagree, man. IMO eventually can also mean "finally".
SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 440 [0], given: 32

Re: SC - Campaign for sanitary conditions [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2008, 09:04
The OA is A.

See this link:

http://www.beatthegmat.com/modifier-mis ... 12037.html

barfer wrote:
Quote:
"had been eventually successful" - "had been" is past perfect, and then "eventually" is incorrect because with the use of "had been" we need a participle ({verb + -ing} acting as a nown.) generally speaking (but not always required). Also, eventually seems to give the meaning of future tense like "He will eventually get better at sentence correction."

jallenmorris, I disagree, man. IMO eventually can also mean "finally".

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Re: SC - Campaign for sanitary conditions [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2008, 15:46
This too http://www.urch.com/forums/gmat-sentence-correction/73865-sir-joseph-lister.html. But I still don't accept A... and need a clear explanation.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - Campaign for sanitary conditions [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2008, 17:39
IMO (A) is correct as (A) uses absolute phrase construction.
And by POE also i think (A) is the only good choice.
Nice question Namurad. +1
Manager
Manager

Re: SC - Campaign for sanitary conditions [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2008, 05:57
chan_nhu78 wrote:
A is the answer, I think.
I don't know if I'm correct: the absolute phrase "His campaign for sanitary conditions in operating rooms finally successful" is used to modify the sentence. I read about absolute construction somewhere in this forum

chan_nhu78, you're cool!!! it's great sample of absolute construction!!! I've never met that's why I'm so happy :lol: NEW, NEW, BRAND NEW rule for me!!!! Many thanks!!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: SC - Campaign for sanitary conditions [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2010, 06:20
I am still not able to grasp the concept..how is A correct...Does someone have more examples of this sort...i read this is appositive...somewhere I read this is absolute construction

If you like my post, consider giving me some KUDOS !!!!! Like you I need them

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 1.3

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 15

Reviews Badge
Re: SC - Campaign for sanitary conditions [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2010, 07:49
b i feel
Reason:Both events i.e. successful campaign and lending name happened in the past,also in that campaign happened first ,so for the first event happening in the past we use past perfect and lending happens next,so we use simple past for it(this rule is avaiilbale in all grammar books under use of past perfect tense)
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 6

Re: SC - Campaign for sanitary conditions [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2010, 20:24
I thought D was correct since it uses passive voice correctly with the word "being". However going by the explanations esp the last one about appositives it seems A is correct

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 4

Re: SC - Campaign for sanitary conditions [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2010, 20:39
C,D and E are out.confused between A and B.Had been in B seems correct because first action is success of campaign and second action is lending of name so had been seems correct to me.Plz help

Kingfisher
The king of good times and a companion in bad ones......

Re: SC - Campaign for sanitary conditions   [#permalink] 12 Nov 2010, 20:39