Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 07:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Historian: Newton developed mathematical concepts and

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
Followers: 311

Kudos [?]: 2608 [0], given: 696

Re: Hard one ! [#permalink] New post 23 May 2011, 06:53
Expert's post
In this kind of CR questions generally a split can be done.

of course the first bold portion is an evidence; the second do not add further information but the phrase only give us where the information are (highlights something - evidence). so D

1.56 minutes...:)

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UNC Duke Kellogg
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 4

Re: Hard one ! [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2011, 17:35
Top question this! Great practice.....

D for me....

Rumor has it more boldface questions are popping up on the GMAT lately....
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 07-16-2012
GPA: 3.4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 25

Reviews Badge
Re: Hard one ! [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2011, 05:32
really nice question IMO D

-------Analyze why option A in SC wrong-------

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Hard one ! [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2011, 22:22
1+ D
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 15

Re: Hard one ! [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2011, 23:33
D
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 15

Re: Hard one ! [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2011, 18:05
D it is. The author supports that the two discoveries were independent. If we are clear with the conclusion, then everything falls into place.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Re: Hard one ! [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2011, 08:48
I choose D too. And yet at V41 I got quite a number of bold face questions (3-4 questions)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: Hard one ! [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2011, 09:41
casaudom99 wrote:
I choose D too. And yet at V41 I got quite a number of bold face questions (3-4 questions)

Hey, When did you give your GMAT..Are you saying that at later stages or in early stages of the verbal section you got bold face type?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Hard one ! [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2011, 09:05
Nice one... D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GPA: 3.65
WE: Project Management (Real Estate)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 56

Re: Hard one ! [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2011, 12:35
I picked D...It took me 2:40mins.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GPA: 3.2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 21

Re: Hard one ! [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2011, 22:58
defends and criticizes are the two major signposts for the correct answer for this BF CR. Loved the question. D it is.

Two great challenges: 1. Guts to Fail and 2. Fear to Succeed

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 11

Reviews Badge
Re: Historian: Newton developed mathematical concepts and [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2014, 07:31
Hi E-GMAT,

Please find my analysis below,

Historian: Newton developed mathematical concepts and techniques that are fundamental to
modern calculus. Leibniz developed closely analogous concepts and techniques. It has
traditionally been thought that these discoveries were independent. Researchers have,
however, recently discovered notes of Leibniz’ that discuss one of Newton’s books on
mathematics. Several scholars have argued that since the book includes a presentation of
Newton’s calculus concepts and techniques, and since the notes were written before
Leibniz’ own development of calculus concepts and techniques
, it is virtually certain
that the traditional view is false. A more cautious conclusion than this is called for, however.
Leibniz’ notes are limited to early sections of Newton’s book, sections that precede
the ones in which Newton’s calculus concepts and techniques are presented

A. The first provides evidence in support of the overall position that the historian defends; the
second is evidence that has been used to support an opposing position.
B. The first provides evidence in support of the overall position that the historian defends; the
second is that position.
C. The first provides evidence in support of an intermediate conclusion that is drawn to provide
support for the overall position that the historian defends; the second provides evidence
against that intermediate conclusion.
D. The first is evidence that has been used to support a conclusion that the historian criticizes;
the second is evidence offered in support of the historian’s own position.
E. The first is evidence that has been used to support a conclusion that the historian criticizes;
the second is further information that substantiates that evidence.

Now lets break this argument.

Historian: Newton developed mathematical concepts and techniques that are fundamental to
modern calculus....FACT1
. Leibniz developed closely analogous concepts and techniques.FACT2

It has traditionally been thought that these discoveries were independent. HISTORIAN OPINION....intermediate conclusion.

Researchers have,however, recently discovered notes of Leibniz’ that discuss one of Newton’s books on
mathematics. Researchers Opinion

Several scholars have argued that since the book includes a presentation of
Newton’s calculus concepts and techniques, and since the notes were written before
, SCHOLORS OPINIONS

it is virtually certain that the traditional view is false. Historians Opinions..... MAIN CONCLUSION.

A more cautious conclusion than this is called for, however.
Leibniz’ notes are limited to early sections of Newton’s book, sections that precede
. Historion Opinion.

So as per the above understanding, First Bold face is the explanation to support the main conclusion.

and Second Bold Face as it mention However. I though i should be against the main conclusion.

With this understanding I'm able to eliminate all the choice but I'm not able to understand why in option D,second bold face statement support the main conclusion.

Thanks

Nitin Singh
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1299

Kudos [?]: 3668 [0], given: 185

Re: Historian: Newton developed mathematical concepts and [#permalink] New post 01 May 2014, 02:00
Expert's post
Nitinaka19 wrote:
Hi E-GMAT,

Please find my analysis below,

modern calculus. Leibniz developed closely analogous concepts and techniques. It has
traditionally been thought that these discoveries were independent. Researchers have,
however, recently discovered notes of Leibniz’ that discuss one of Newton’s books on
mathematics. Several scholars have argued that since the book includes a presentation of
, it is virtually certain
that the traditional view is false. A more cautious conclusion than this is called for, however.

A. The first provides evidence in support of the overall position that the historian defends; the
second is evidence that has been used to support an opposing position.
B. The first provides evidence in support of the overall position that the historian defends; the
second is that position.
C. The first provides evidence in support of an intermediate conclusion that is drawn to provide
support for the overall position that the historian defends; the second provides evidence
against that intermediate conclusion.
D. The first is evidence that has been used to support a conclusion that the historian criticizes;
the second is evidence offered in support of the historian’s own position.
E. The first is evidence that has been used to support a conclusion that the historian criticizes;
the second is further information that substantiates that evidence.

Now lets break this argument.

modern calculus....FACT1
. Leibniz developed closely analogous concepts and techniques.FACT2

It has traditionally been thought that these discoveries were independent. HISTORIAN OPINION....intermediate conclusion.

Researchers have,however, recently discovered notes of Leibniz’ that discuss one of Newton’s books on
mathematics. Researchers Opinion

, SCHOLORS OPINIONS

it is virtually certain that the traditional view is false. Historians Opinions..... MAIN CONCLUSION.

. Historion Opinion.

So as per the above understanding, First Bold face is the explanation to support the main conclusion.

and Second Bold Face as it mention However. I though i should be against the main conclusion.

With this understanding I'm able to eliminate all the choice but I'm not able to understand why in option D,second bold face statement support the main conclusion.

Thanks

Nitin Singh

Hi Nitin,

Thanks for sharing detailed analysis. In this way, I'll be able to point exactly where all you faltered:

modern calculus....FACT1 - Correct
. Leibniz developed closely analogous concepts and techniques.FACT2 - Correct

It has traditionally been thought that these discoveries were independent. HISTORIAN OPINION....intermediate conclusion. - It's not an intermediate conclusion. A conclusion needs to be supported by some reasoning. Which statement supports this? It is only traditional opinion.
mathematics. Researchers Opinion -Incorrect. It's a discovery. So, it needs to be a FACT.

, SCHOLORS OPINIONS -Incorrect - Both the parts following "Since" are facts. They are presented as information or facts.

it is virtually certain that the traditional view is false. Historians Opinions..... MAIN CONCLUSION. -Incorrect. This is scholars' opinion and it's their conclusion, not Historian's

. Historion Opinion. - Incorrect. Historian opinion is limited to " A more cautious conclusion than this is called for". The rest of the sentence is a fact. Since, this is the only historian opinion in the argument, this is also the main conclusion.

Now, given my above comments, would you like to re-evaluate the option statements?

Thanks,
Chiranjeev

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 11

Reviews Badge
Re: Historian: Newton developed mathematical concepts and [#permalink] New post 06 May 2014, 07:54
Thanks Chiranjeev,

Lots of things are cleared, which are FACTs and which are opinions...

:)
Re: Historian: Newton developed mathematical concepts and   [#permalink] 06 May 2014, 07:54