Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 01:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Historian : The term Baroque refers to a style of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 81 [1] , given: 5

Historian : The term Baroque refers to a style of [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2010, 17:12
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

66% (02:15) correct 34% (00:48) wrong based on 41 sessions
Historian: The term “Baroque” refers to a style of architecture that developed along with absolutist governments in seventeenth century Europe. Works of Baroque architecture were characterized by opulence and grandeur and were often commissioned by leaders wishing to gain support in the race to expand their influence in newly-discovered North and South America. Because of its role in this early form of nation-building, Baroque architecture can be considered as much a tool of propaganda as a form of artistic expression.

If all of the statements above are true, which of the following can properly be inferred on the basis of them?

(A) Architecture of the Baroque period often served the purpose of increasing political power.
(B) Absolutist rulers spent much of their countries’ wealth on Baroque works constructed in North and South America.
(C) Baroque architecture was the first artistic style to be inspired by a new form of government.
(D) Older, less politically-influenced forms of architecture displayed little opulence or grandeur.
(E) Architects of the Baroque period could be more rightly considered politicians than artists.

I disagree with the OA.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
The OA is A, and the explanation is:

Quote:
Reasoning: Which is an inference that can be drawn from the passage? The historian claims a connection between the opulence and grandeur of Baroque architecture and the political power of absolutist governments. The connection between political and artistic forms of power allowed Baroque architecture to be used as a tool of propaganda. Propaganda, by definition, means the spreading of ideas in support of a (usually political) cause.

According to the passage, Baroque architecture had a role in the nation-building of absolutist governments. Specifically, that role was as propaganda, or as a method of increasing political power.

While this explanation is obviously correct, I disagree that you can infer answer A from this logic. A states that architecture of the Baroque era often served the political purpose - not that Baroque architecture often served this purpose. We only know that the specific subset of Baroque architecture from this period of time served this purpose, and we don't know how much of all architecture was actually Baroque, and how much was older styles.

I went for answer E, which you can directly conclude from the last line of the passage: "Because of its role in this early form of nation-building, Baroque architecture can be considered as much a tool of propaganda as a form of artistic expression."

Thoughts?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by TehJay on 17 Oct 2010, 05:24, edited 2 times in total.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 144 [1] , given: 10

Re: Baroque architecture (GMAT Club Test v06) [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2010, 19:11
This post received
KUDOS
Using the fact test.

Apart from choice A none of the other choices have been directly referred in the argument.

B. countries’ wealth ?
C. first artistic style ?
D. Older, less politically-influenced forms ?
E. Architects ?

Hence A wins.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Baroque architecture (GMAT Club Test v06) [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 11:48
I went for A
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 12

Re: Baroque architecture (GMAT Club Test v06) [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 12:25
I went for A too :)
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: Baroque architecture (GMAT Club Test v06) [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2010, 09:05
[A] is the obvious choice. Can someone please post the difficulty level of this question? Is it a 600-650 one?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 5

Re: Baroque architecture (GMAT Club Test v06) [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2010, 05:22
Has anyone read my post?
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 325 [1] , given: 109

Re: Baroque architecture (GMAT Club Test v06) [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2010, 07:21
This post received
KUDOS
+1 A 8-)

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 37

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Baroque architecture (GMAT Club Test v06) [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2011, 13:40
This post received
KUDOS
The passage talks about architecture. There is no reference made about architects in that period.
That is why I ruled out E.

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

GMAT CLUB:VERBAL TEST 6 CR QUESTIONS [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2011, 04:44
Historian: The term “Baroque” refers to a style of architecture that developed along with absolutist governments in seventeenth century Europe. Works of Baroque architecture were characterized by opulence and grandeur and were often commissioned by leaders wishing to gain support in the race to expand their influence in newly-discovered North and South America. Because of its role in this early form of nation-building, Baroque architecture can be considered as much a tool of propaganda as a form of artistic expression.
If all of the statements above are true, which of the following can properly be inferred on the basis of them?

•Architecture of the Baroque period often served the purpose of increasing political power.
•Absolutist rulers spent much of their countries’ wealth on Baroque works constructed in North and South America.
•Baroque architecture was the first artistic style to be inspired by a new form of government.
•Older, less politically-influenced forms of architecture displayed little opulence or grandeur.
•Architects of the Baroque period could be more rightly considered politicians than artists.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 9

Re: GMAT CLUB:VERBAL TEST 6 CR QUESTIONS [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2011, 05:06
Is it A?
Manager
Manager
Schools: NUS

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 31

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: GMAT CLUB:VERBAL TEST 6 CR QUESTIONS [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2011, 06:29
+1 for A
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: Q V

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 18

Re: Historian : The term Baroque refers to a style of [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2012, 00:27
only A comes closer as correct answer....though it is debatable because it's unclear from stimulus whether it served its purpose or not.
Re: Historian : The term Baroque refers to a style of   [#permalink] 06 Mar 2012, 00:27