Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:32 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1103 [53]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GPA: 3.85
WE:Sales (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [7]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [2]

Send PM
General Discussion
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 577 [0]
Given Kudos: 198
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 740 Q51 V38
Send PM
Re: Historians have long thought that America was, from the beginning, pro [#permalink]
The author is primarily concerned with
(A) refuting a proposed thesis about eighteenth-century America
(B) analyzing a long-established interpretation of American history
(C) criticizing a set of deeply held beliefs about early American ideology
(D) reconciling opposing interpretations of eighteenth-century American ideology
(E) defending a novel reading of the ideology of eighteenth-century America

Request experts to explain how the OA is A...and why not other options such as B or D
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 984 [3]
Given Kudos: 1021
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V48
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V47
GMAT 4: 790 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q168 V167

GRE 2: Q170 V169
Send PM
Re: Historians have long thought that America was, from the beginning, pro [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
ShashankDave wrote:
Good read. All except Q5 correct. I can't figure out how C is the answer and B is not. GMATNinja any comments? and also..do you think it's an original GMAT paper test question? If possible, please also suggest where can GMAT paper test questions can be found

Quote:
5. The passage suggests that, if classical republicanism had been the ideology of eighteenth-century America, which of the following would have resulted?
(A) People would have been motivated to open small businesses and expand commercial activity.
(B) Citizens and politicians would not have been encouraged to agitate for increased individual rights.
(C) People would have been convinced that by pursuing their own interests they were contributing to the good of the group.
(D) The political and social privileges enjoyed by the landed gentry would have been destroyed.
(E) A mood of optimism among people over individual profits and prosperity would have been created.

I agree that choice (B) seems defensible. If somebody has access to the source, please verify the OA.

Several questions from the paper tests are discussed in this forum. The paper tests are also available for purchase from the mba.com store.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 984 [2]
Given Kudos: 1021
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V48
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V47
GMAT 4: 790 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q168 V167

GRE 2: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Quote:
GMATNinja please help in explaining Questions 4 and 5.

Quote:
4. The author mentions which of the following as a fact that weakens Pocock’s argument about the ideology of eighteenth-century America?
(A) Jefferson’s obsession with virtue and corruption and his fear of commercial development
(B) The precapitalist mentality that was pervasive among farmers in early America
(C) The political decline of artisans and shopkeepers in eighteenth-century America
(D) The colonists’ lack of commitment to support the general welfare of the British Empire
(E) The existence of political privilege in early American society

Try this one again after reviewing this portion of the passage: "Yet Pocock’s thesis and the reinterpretation of the history of eighteenth-century America engendered by it are of dubious validity. If Americans did believe in the ideals of classical virtue that stressed civic duty and made the whole community greater than its discrete parts, then why did the colonists lack a sense of obligation to support the greater good of the British Empire? If indeed America has not always been the society of individual rights and self-interest that it is today, how and when did it be come so?"

As for question 5, refer to my earlier post: https://gmatclub.com/forum/historians-h ... l#p1959924
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2162 [1]
Given Kudos: 368
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 600 Q38 V35
GMAT 6: 710 Q47 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Tough question. Would be good to clarify the source.

Passage map:
p1: To state a reinterpretation of a long standing belief
P2: To argue that this reinterpretation is not representative of how the US was created
The author is initially quite descriptive, then questions a lot of the arguments given by the authors in question

2 incorrect, sat this untimed

I'm just writing out my analysis for the 2 questions i got wrong.

Question 1
A - I didn't select A, incorrectly I marked it as a Contender, as I didn't really understand how things tied together. But now I see that A is correct. Initially the author states that's Pocock's argument: that he believes the US was "rooted" in "classical republicanism" - M's writings. The author, in the second passage, then argues against Pocock's thesis (that US was uprooted...) stating that it is of "dubious" validity. The author then states what the US is founded upon: "optimism..." (last sentence).
Thus the main idea is encapsulated in A
B is incorrect because this is just not supported. The passage is based on the virtues the US was founded upon
C -- i stupidly selected this as I didn't fully understand the argument. It's incorrect as the argument isn't really concerned with this, it's states pocock's belief then argues against it.
D - is incorrect as this is more the author's view, not pocock's.
E - No- jeferson is briefly mentioned to present how jeferson is reinterpreted in light of P's notion

Question 2
This relies on you understanding of this portion of the passage:
Pocock argues that out of the writings of antiquity Machiavelli created a body of political thinking called “classical republicanism.” This body of thought revived the ancient belief that a human being was by nature a citizen who achieved moral fulfillment by participating in a self-governing republic. Liberty was interpreted as a condition that is realized when people are virtuous and are willing to sacrifice their individual interests for the sake of the community.

Initially, my view of what Pocock is says was murky - i thought the opposite of what he actually intends. "Self-governing republic" is what led me there.
A is incorrect because it is more an example of self-interest
B is incorrect as its not apparent what "self-interest" is being sacrificed
C is incorrect because the individual is forcefully helping the community
D is incorrect for similar reasons to B
E is correct because it shows how one sacrifices self interest for the sake of the community, as defined in the text I captured above.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V27
GRE 1: Q160 V150
GPA: 2.7
Send PM
Can some one help me with que 7. I am unable to identify the location in passage
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.94
Send PM
prags1989 wrote:
Can some one help me with que 7. I am unable to identify the location in passage

" Liberty was interpreted as a condition that is realized when people are virtuous and are willing to sacrifice their individual interests for the sake of the community. To be completely virtuous, people had to be independent and free of the petty interests of the marketplace. The greatest enemy of virtue was commerce."
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Can anyone please explain as to why is answer to question 6 is option A?
I think it should be option D.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.94
Send PM
Historians have long thought that America was, from the beginning, pro [#permalink]
JasleenKahlon wrote:
Can anyone please explain as to why is answer to question 6 is option A?
I think it should be option D.

In the second paragraph, it is mentioned: "If indeed America has not always been the society of individual rights and self-interest that it is today, how and when did it become so?"

D says the opposite. The Colonists did not support the greater good of the British Empire. This implies that the colonists were not reluctant to place their individual interests above those of Great Britain.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Can anyone please explain question 7?
Thanks in advance :)

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.47
Send PM
Historians have long thought that America was, from the beginning, pro [#permalink]
Hi GMATNinjaTwo

In question 6 options A and D both represent the thought of the author as to why Pocock's theory was not plausible enough.

If Americans did believe in the ideals of classical virtue that stressed civic duty and made the whole community greater than its discrete parts, then why did the colonists lack a sense of obligation to support the greater good of the British Empire? If indeed America has not always been the society of individual rights and self-interest that it is today, how and when did it be come so?

How is A correct ?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [3]

Send PM
Kudos