Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 19:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

History shows that while simultaneously attaining global or

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Posts: 782
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 0

History shows that while simultaneously attaining global or [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2007, 02:55
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
History shows that while simultaneously attaining global or even regional dominance, a country generally succumbs to erosion of its social infrastructure.
a. History shows that while simultaneously attaining

b. History would show that, while attaining

c. History bears out that, in the course of attaining

d. During the course of history, the attainment of

e. Throughout history, during any country's attaining


Please explain.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 03 Sep 2006
Posts: 889
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 171 [0], given: 33

Re: SC History [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2007, 07:08
vshaunak@gmail.com wrote:
History shows that while simultaneously attaining global or even regional dominance, a country generally succumbs to erosion of its social infrastructure.
a. History shows that while simultaneously attaining

b. History would show that, while attaining

c. History bears out that, in the course of attaining

d. During the course of history, the attainment of

e. Throughout history, during any country's attaining


Please explain.


As per my understanding and using the POE, I end up with the choice "B" or the choice "C".
"B" must be correct because the choice "B" uses the auxiliary would which should be used only in the case of uncertainty. Countries generally succumb but not necessarily, thus uncertainty.

Correct answer is B.

What is the original correct answer?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2006
Posts: 62
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2007, 07:11
I think the uncertainty is shown in the latter part by 'generally'. What history bears out is certain.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 15 Jul 2004
Posts: 1474
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 13

Re: SC History [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2007, 07:14
LM wrote:
vshaunak@gmail.com wrote:
History shows that while simultaneously attaining global or even regional dominance, a country generally succumbs to erosion of its social infrastructure.
a. History shows that while simultaneously attaining

b. History would show that, while attaining

c. History bears out that, in the course of attaining

d. During the course of history, the attainment of

e. Throughout history, during any country's attaining


Please explain.


As per my understanding and using the POE, I end up with the choice "B" or the choice "C".
"B" must be correct because the choice "B" uses the auxiliary would which should be used only in the case of uncertainty. Countries generally succumb but not necessarily, thus uncertainty.

Correct answer is B.

What is the original correct answer?



Nice explanation. Second B. I choose B simply because it's more concise - "while attaining" IMO is less wordier than "in the course of attaining".
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Posts: 782
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2007, 10:30
OA is 'B'

a.History shows that while simultaneously attaining

************'Simultaneously' doesn't make sense***********

b. History would show that, while attaining
**********'would' changes the meaning *************

c. History bears out that, in the course of attaining

**********Conveys the meaning correctly*******

d. During the course of history, the attainment of
**********This doesn't make the meaningful sentence****

e. Throughout history, during any country's attaining
*************'Attaining' is unidiomatic**********
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Sep 2004
Posts: 371
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2007, 19:58
OA is B or C.

vshaunak@gmail.com wrote:
OA is 'B'

a.History shows that while simultaneously attaining

************'Simultaneously' doesn't make sense***********

b. History would show that, while attaining
**********'would' changes the meaning *************

c. History bears out that, in the course of attaining

**********Conveys the meaning correctly*******

d. During the course of history, the attainment of
**********This doesn't make the meaningful sentence****

e. Throughout history, during any country's attaining
*************'Attaining' is unidiomatic**********
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 11 Mar 2007
Posts: 86
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2007, 01:18
my choice was B. Its clear & consise !! rest are all wordy awkward
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 23 Jun 2005
Posts: 847
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 1

 [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2007, 07:44
Do we have an OA on this yet? My bet is on C as others have explained. I would love an in-depth explanation from someone as to why it should be B.

Anand
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 29 Jul 2006
Posts: 877
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2007, 08:08
'would' is used when something is said from the perspective of the past about the future...
Here,history is just being used to state a fact.

So, its C.
  [#permalink] 13 Apr 2007, 08:08
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
3 Experts publish their posts in the topic One feature of the global food economy is the simultaneous StrivingTurtle 12 02 Mar 2013, 00:59
5 One feature of the global food economy is the simultaneous Runner2 18 06 Feb 2012, 22:16
1 History shows that while simultaneously attaining global or ssandeepan 2 26 Jul 2008, 22:08
Elena: While I was at the dog show, every dog that growled jyotsnasarabu 7 30 Nov 2006, 12:47
Elena: While I was at the dog show, every dog that growled WinWinMBA 7 31 May 2005, 13:40
Display posts from previous: Sort by

History shows that while simultaneously attaining global or

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.