Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 01:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Hitting rock bottom...Advice on the next step?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Wharton '17, Haas '17
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.65
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 10

Hitting rock bottom...Advice on the next step? [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2013, 15:58
Hello all -

I've been lurking around here for a bit. Thanks for all of those who have taken the time to write explanations to some of those killer quant problems - I appreciate it!

So, I've hit rock bottom today with a not-up-to-snuff GMAT score. I've been prepping for the GMAT for 3 months now (~1-2 hours a day / ~4-5 hours on the weekends) and really thought I was ready for a 650+. I've come a long way, but apparently the test makers think I've got more to go ;)

My first prep test was an MGMAT #1... 350 (!). Yup, you read that correctly. Since then, I've covered all of the manhattan quant guides cover-to-cover (to include the foundations book) and most of the manhattan SC and CR guides. I've error logged and done every OG quant problem and Quant review problem. The work had paid off -> I subsequently scored:

- 540 GMATPrep #1,
- 570 MGMAT #2
- Practice AWA 5
- 640 MGMAT #3 (Q37, V40)
- and 2 weeks ago, a 650 GMATPrep #2 (Q43, V37, IR8, mock AWA complete).

The past 2 weeks I've been reviewing concepts I'm weak at and working on the GMATPrep question packs and getting all of the medium and half of the hard quant problems correct in the appropriate time.

You can imagine my shock when I walked out of the test center today with a disappointing 570 (Q36, V31). :? I felt like someone stole my wallet, car, and beer all at once. Haha.

Perhaps it was nerves, perhaps it was a lack of breakfast, perhaps it was the unfamiliarity of the whole situation...who knows.

Regardless, I need to hit the books again and schedule a re-test.

Any suggestions on a way ahead? Would the GMAT Club tests be too difficult for me right now? I feel like face-smashingly hard quant problems would help me out, but after a real-life Q36, I probably need to rethink that.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 520 Q35 V26
GMAT 2: 670 Q48 V34
GMAT 3: Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 8

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Hitting rock bottom...Advice on the next step? [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2013, 01:29
Hi,

You could start with the 500 level questions in the gmatclub tests then work your way up to the 600 and finally the 700. The gmatclub tests helped me boost my quant score so much. I definitely would recommend them. After doing all of the questions, I felt my speed increased and could attempt a question right away rather than stare at it blankly. Just keep up your hard work and I'm sure it will pay off.

Really appreciate Kudos!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 12

Re: Hitting rock bottom...Advice on the next step? [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2013, 02:16
Hey, keep at it. Have you considered joining any course or taking help from a tutor who can help you real time and assess where / how you can improve?
Director
Director
Status: My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 57

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Hitting rock bottom...Advice on the next step? [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2013, 05:54
Journey from now onwards wont be that difficult, just plan strategically. Gc tests will be tough but you can learn immensely from them..

Here are few important links...

everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-129968.html

Quick note- When you see your doing a mistake from a topic, reread the theory and practice questions, dont move ahead unless you get 90% accuracy.

General GMAT useful links-->

Indian Bschools Accepting Gmat | My Gmat Daily Diary | All Gmat Practice CAT's | MBA Ranking 2013 | How to Convert Indian GPA/ Percentage to US 4 pt. GPA scale | GMAT MATH BOOK in downloadable PDF format| POWERSCORE CRITICAL REASONING BIBLE - FULL CHAPTER NOTES | Result correlation between GMAT and GMAT Club's Tests | Best GMAT Stories - Period!

More useful links-->

GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios| GMAT and MBA 101|Everything You Need to Prepare for the GMAT|New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>|GMAT ToolKit: iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android application|

Verbal Treasure Hunt-->

"Ultimate" Study Plan for Verbal on the GMAT|Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read)|Best Verbal GMAT Books 2012|Carcass Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section|Ultimate GMAT Grammar Book from GC club [Free Download]|Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia|Souvik's The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC|ALL SC Rules+Official Qs by Experts & Legendary Club Members|Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik|Critical Reasoning Shortcuts and Tips|Critical Reasoning Megathread!|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- CR|GMAT Club's Reading Comprehension Strategy Guide|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- RC|Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia|ALL RC Strategy+Official Q by Experts&Legendary Club Members

----
---
--
-

1 KUDOS = 1 THANK

Kick Ass Gmat

Re: Hitting rock bottom...Advice on the next step?   [#permalink] 04 Oct 2013, 05:54