Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 12:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

HKUST 2012 - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 18 Jun 2010
Posts: 150
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 2

Re: HKUST 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2012, 23:26
aviroop wrote:
prakhag - get in touch with togafoot a member of this forum, and an alumni of HKUST, or the much loved kryzak who is now in the IT sector and an alumni of Haas. Both can guide you in the right direction about post mba plans in IT.


On a separate note - I dont think I have seen IT specialization courses in any B school curriculum. There are however courses about strategy/management addressing the tech sector in general.

Many thanks aviroop:).
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 13 Oct 2011
Posts: 3
Location: United States
Schools: HKUST (M)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: HKUST 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2012, 20:20
prakhag,

I am a current HKUST student. The following classes are offered in our Information Systems and Operations Management (ISOM) area:

Operations Management
Information & Technology Management
Business Simulation and Strategic Decisions
Information Systems Outsourcing Management
Electronic Commerce
Computer and Internet Security Management
Information and Entreprensurship Management
Business Modeling
Information Systems Assurance and Forensic Investigation

From my knowledge, specializations in IT were popular in the late 1990's and early 2000's (HKUST had a IT track as well years ago). My guess is that the IT tracks in most B-Schools were considered to overlap with Consulting too much or were too specialized.

The school and students do meet with technology firms (both in industry and consulting) for events and potential opportunities.

Hong Kong is a finance hub, but finance is supported by technology (I was a BI consultant for Financial Services in the US). Many other companies have opportunities in their technology areas. Additionally, HK is trying to build up it IT capabilities through entrepreneurial programs throughout the city so there are many start-ups beginning in Hong Kong focused on technology. Lastly, the proximity to Shenzhen is good for technology as major R&D facilities and mainland companies are based there.

Hopefully that helps.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 18 Jun 2010
Posts: 150
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 2

Re: HKUST 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2012, 23:17
mstansfield wrote:
prakhag,

I am a current HKUST student. The following classes are offered in our Information Systems and Operations Management (ISOM) area:

Operations Management
Information & Technology Management
Business Simulation and Strategic Decisions
Information Systems Outsourcing Management
Electronic Commerce
Computer and Internet Security Management
Information and Entreprensurship Management
Business Modeling
Information Systems Assurance and Forensic Investigation

From my knowledge, specializations in IT were popular in the late 1990's and early 2000's (HKUST had a IT track as well years ago). My guess is that the IT tracks in most B-Schools were considered to overlap with Consulting too much or were too specialized.

The school and students do meet with technology firms (both in industry and consulting) for events and potential opportunities.

Hong Kong is a finance hub, but finance is supported by technology (I was a BI consultant for Financial Services in the US). Many other companies have opportunities in their technology areas. Additionally, HK is trying to build up it IT capabilities through entrepreneurial programs throughout the city so there are many start-ups beginning in Hong Kong focused on technology. Lastly, the proximity to Shenzhen is good for technology as major R&D facilities and mainland companies are based there.

Hopefully that helps.

Many thanks mstansfield.

Given that HK is predominantly a financial hub and most IT opportunities are based in China, do you think my lack of knowledge or no knowledge of Mandarin will be a limiting factor for me? Also, do you have any major IT firms recruiting in other APAC regions, Europe or US? Going by what's listed on HKUST official website, a major chunk of student gets placed in HK and China. Unfortunately, I do not find odds in favor when it comes to china 'cz of my unfamiliarity with local language and culture.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 03 Mar 2007
Posts: 981
Location: Hong Kong
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 8

Re: HKUST 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2012, 00:01
Seems the thread has been awfully quiet for the past few weeks. Any new admits/interview calls?
HKUST Thread Master
avatar
Status: Applying to schools
Joined: 05 Jun 2010
Posts: 60
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V29
GPA: 2.9
WE: Operations (Computer Software)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 2

Re: HKUST 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2012, 08:24
aviroop wrote:
Seems the thread has been awfully quiet for the past few weeks. Any new admits/interview calls?

so how many people from your batch have you spoken to so far? :)
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 03 Mar 2007
Posts: 981
Location: Hong Kong
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 8

Re: HKUST 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2012, 11:28
spoken to quite a few through facebook

Check your gmail inbox also - sent you an email
HKUST Thread Master
avatar
Status: Applying to schools
Joined: 05 Jun 2010
Posts: 60
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V29
GPA: 2.9
WE: Operations (Computer Software)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 2

Re: HKUST 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2012, 04:03
aviroop wrote:
spoken to quite a few through facebook

Check your gmail inbox also - sent you an email


nice...

n hey nope.... I've still not got ur email! :(
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 03 Mar 2007
Posts: 981
Location: Hong Kong
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 8

Re: HKUST 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2012, 09:19
a good post about HKUST from accepted.com

Filled choc a bloc with the latest about the school and especially what they are looking for in the admissions process.

VGR - some of the write up is applicable for you in case you are interested in re-applying to HKUST

http://www.accepted.com/chat/transcript ... chool.aspx
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Mar 2012
Posts: 17
Schools: HKUST
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: HKUST 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2012, 23:32
i'm a round 3 applicant. Anyone applied in R3 and received an interview invite? I've got an upcoming interview this week.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Dec 2011
Posts: 10
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: HKUST 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 06:29
teroc wrote:
i'm a round 3 applicant. Anyone applied in R3 and received an interview invite? I've got an upcoming interview this week.

Hi Teroc
I am an r3 applicant.When is your review.Where are you from?Please do share your profile.Do they send out interview invites so fast?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Mar 2012
Posts: 17
Schools: HKUST
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: HKUST 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 06:54
I got my interview invite shortly (few days) after the R3 deadline. I submitted my application on 13 March. My profile:
GMAT: 660
GPA: 1st Class Honors
W/E: 5 years (4 years in public policy and 1 year in corporate strategy)
Location: Singapore

Last edited by teroc on 26 Mar 2012, 06:57, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Mar 2012
Posts: 17
Schools: HKUST
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: HKUST 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 06:55
Hi jaisraju,

What is your profile? my interview is this thursday. I'm getting a bit nervous.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Dec 2011
Posts: 10
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: HKUST 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 08:07
teroc wrote:
Hi jaisraju,

What is your profile? my interview is this thursday. I'm getting a bit nervous.

Keep your cool man.....My profile is as below
GMAT-730
Work Ex-4+years in ShipBuilding/Construction
Submitted the application on 11 March 2012...Atleast you have got a call...Am still wondering what happened to my application????
Go through the interview experiences in the various forums....Will boost your morale.....
Best Wishes...... :-D
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Mar 2012
Posts: 17
Schools: HKUST
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: HKUST 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 08:14
Thanks. I guess. you have pretty strong GMAT and profile. I guess they are just randomly reviewing the application. Where you from?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Dec 2011
Posts: 10
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: HKUST 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 08:20
teroc wrote:
Thanks. I guess. you have pretty strong GMAT and profile. I guess they are just randomly reviewing the application. Where you from?

Yup.....from the outset,it seems so......Lemme hope for the best...Am from India.....
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Mar 2012
Posts: 32
Location: Hong Kong
WE: Project Management (Investment Banking)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: HKUST 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2012, 18:13
Hello everyone,
I have an invitation for an on-campus interview + campus tour/dinner with alumni this Saturday. Any other R3 applicants in HK ?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Mar 2012
Posts: 17
Schools: HKUST
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: HKUST 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2012, 20:02
sandymp wrote:
Hello everyone,
I have an invitation for an on-campus interview + campus tour/dinner with alumni this Saturday. Any other R3 applicants in HK ?


That's cool. I'm having skype interview on thursday. Are you from Hong Kong? or working in Hong Kong?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Mar 2012
Posts: 32
Location: Hong Kong
WE: Project Management (Investment Banking)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: HKUST 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2012, 21:57
Good luck for your interview on thursday Teroc. Write a post on how it went.
I'm currently working in HK (not from here originally).
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Mar 2012
Posts: 17
Schools: HKUST
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: HKUST 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2012, 02:52
sandymp wrote:
Good luck for your interview on thursday Teroc. Write a post on how it went.
I'm currently working in HK (not from here originally).


Thanks sandymp. Good luck to you on saturday too!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Dec 2011
Posts: 10
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: HKUST 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2012, 21:27
Hi everyone.....
No more interview calls?????
Am getting nervous regarding my application. My profile is as below
GMAT: 730 Q49V41
Experience: 4+Years in Ship Building/Construction in a famous Indian MNC
GPA: 8.1/10
Confident about the essays I wrote......
I applied on 11 March 2012 and still have not got an interview call.. Till which date do they send out calls??? Though the brochure says 8 May, almost all have been receving calls by end march...If any seniors are out there...please reply....will help cool down my nerves :-D
Or isn't my profile strong enough for HKUST :?
Re: HKUST 2012 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 29 Mar 2012, 21:27
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
8 Experts publish their posts in the topic HKUST 2014 Calling all applicants! souvik101990 83 25 Apr 2013, 08:41
16 Experts publish their posts in the topic HKUST 2012 - Calling All Applicants vgr 231 15 Aug 2011, 22:49
16 Experts publish their posts in the topic HKUST 2013- Calling All Applicants souvik101990 129 23 Oct 2012, 00:25
6 Experts publish their posts in the topic HKUST 2011-2012 - Calling All Applicants shaselai 295 14 Sep 2010, 09:35
Display posts from previous: Sort by

HKUST 2012 - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12    Next  [ 232 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.