Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:29 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [0]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [3]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [3]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [2]
Send PM
Re: HKUST 2013- Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
Adcom has just started reviewing applications. Expect to hear the first batch of invites to start coming out in the next 1 -2 weeks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE:Operations (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Kudos
souvik101990 thanks for the creation of the new thread!

I submitted my application last week, looking forward to having interviews... I hope that my solid CV and the dedication I put in the essays will pay off! I am a spanish telecommunications engineer with >4 years of experience, in korean and chinese consumer electronics corporations, technical positions. I seek in HKUST an opportunity for gaining knowledge in China to place my future career towards strategic consulting/operations management in technology sector, APAC region.

2013 intake candidates, let's keep in touch by here, keep your profiles and status updated!

Thank you,

Javier
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
waris1987 wrote:
Hi aviroop,
I was in MBA tour hoping to see HKust but they didn't come. However, I got to talk to admission director from University of Hongkong and it was interesting

what do you think about both universities comparing to each other?

thanks,

I would choose hkust any day over hku. Better brand recognition in terms of an MBA, a far superior program, diversity of class is better. HKU is a good school but it does not deliver the bang for the buck that hkust does.

Just to give you an idea - Citi held their MBA career trek at HK. There were 35 students and career services people from HKUST. From HKU, barely 5 students showed up. I attended other career events organized by companies and seldom came across HKU candidates. JP Morgan held a networking event for their markets and research program. The event was for both undergrads and MBA students. Out of the 30 odd students that were invited, there were 10 HKUST MBA students and 20 undergrads from HKU, CUHK and HKUST.

I am biased towards HKUST.. :P
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Not sure if anyone has gotten an outright acceptance or rejection yet? I interviewed a month ago and HKUST admissions said they would have a decision in 4 weeks. They e-mailed me recently saying that they need another 4 weeks to further review my application and make a decision. Anyone who has interviewed receive the same response?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
dldls wrote:
I also got admitted to hku, so I really hope to hear from hkust before Jan. 24th! I was interviewed in early Dec and recently was told to wait 4 more weeks..

Has anyone heard about their final offer from HKUST yet! I have seen people who have had their interviews, only post that they have been asked to wait for 4 weeks further since the date they were told they would come to know about the final offer.

I don't know why this is happening. The process HKUST is following seems to be very unclear. I also heard cases where students who applied in R2 receive interview invites before R1 candidates. There should be an advantage given to students who apply in R1 in terms of reviewing their applications and letting them know their admit / reject before other round candidates, which doesn't seem to be happening.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
siddharth123 wrote:
Hi i have my interview at HKUST in the last week of January. Can someone please share their interview expierience. And what type of questions were asked.

Please refer to the previous year's thread on interview experience. A lot of questions have been posted.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 690 Q39 V45
WE:Project Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Congrats. I'll have my interviews next week, applied in R2. Which round did you apply in?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 690 Q39 V45
WE:Project Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
I'm in!!! Got the e-mail this morning.
It's conditional, they want me to send in some documents has anyone else been asked to do that?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
Schools: HKUST '15
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
Send PM
Kudos
getgyan wrote:
I do not think there is any hope left for those who applied in Round 2. If you have not already heard from them, it is most likely that you have been dinged.

PS - I am a dissapointed Round 2 applicant. Praying that my above statement is rendered false.

Actually, I got an email yesterday(Feb 28) invited to interview that will take place on March... specific date has yet to be determined
Although I won't hold my hopes up high lol, my profile is rather weak (very low GPA and not too much leadership experience)

oh yes, I submitted on Jan 1st, like 1 day before the round 2 deadline
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE:Corporate Finance (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Can someone comment on thier overall acceptance rate ?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Send PM
If anybody would like to know about the school or the admit process and relevant information, feel free to talk to me. I am curently enrolled at the program and it had been a very good experience so far.
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [0]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Expert Reply
aviroop wrote:
If anybody would like to know about the school or the admit process and relevant information, feel free to talk to me. I am curently enrolled at the program and it had been a very good experience so far.

Hey aviroop
Thanks for the info!
Can you share some interview experiences in HKUST?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE:Operations (Telecommunications)
Send PM
aviroop wrote:
Interviews will be carried out by admissions office, especially Sherring Ng. She will be going to US, Europe and Asia on tours, so if you get a chance to speak to her, you definitely should.
A lot of emphasis is placed on interviews. The school is looking for fit and for well rounded applicants. This year, our batch profile has been exceptionally strong, with an averge of 6 years work experience and an average gmat score of 650 plus.
If you are called for an interview, do talk about why HKUST. The admissions office will judge to see how well you have researched the program and why you want to study in Asia. The interviewers are friendly but at the same time they will ask you some challening questions.

From your end, demonstrate your enthusiasm and research done for the program. Also if possible, highlight your international work experience and diversity. This is a big plus point for the school. We have 109 students in the current batch but they come from 27 different countries and only 3-4 students are local HK

Hi, aviroop, thanks for sharing your experience. I see that you have strong GMAT and GPA. In my case they are not so brilliant but are compensated with work experience (almost 6 years by the MBA start date), asian exposure (even if I am Spanish, I worked in Korean and Chinese multinationals, and spent 1 year of internship living in Japan) and some academic & professional awards. Do you think that admissions office has these points in consideration as well? How important are scores vs. CV?
Director
Director
Send PM
Javier82,
Dont be concerned with grades or gmat score. They are part of your application, but you have international experience and you have worked in Asia. Definitely emphasize on your experience with the Chinese firm and talk about what you have learned from that experience.

There are two students from spain in my batch. Also HKUST offers a scholarship for Spanish students.
As I mentioned before, you have to be well rounded. There are talented students in my program with low GMAT scores. So once again, dont be focused too much on grades or scores.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Hi Aviroop,

I submitted my application a few days before deadline and recently got an interview invitation for the week of November 25. The interview will be via Skype. Did you interview this way also? I have never done a Skype interview so I just wanted to know if you have any tips on how to handle it as opposed to a regular face-to-face interview.

If you don't mind, can you share a few questions that you recall were asked during your interview? I just want to get an idea of how to prepare. Also, would you say the interviews are more general regarding your background and personality? Or do they lean more technical, product knowledge within your field etc?

Thanks for your help!
Director
Director
Send PM
blueram,
Treat the skype interview as a regular face to face interview. Make sure your webcam works, you are dressed in business professional attire (including wearing pants and shoes - in some cases, students were asked to get up and turns out some did not wear pants.....another story for another time).

The interview will be very relaxing - it will be very conversational..

things to remember

1 Read your CV and remember all bullet points you have listed - anything is fair game and if you cannot explain things on your CV then too bad
2. Read your essays and remember them well - adcom will ask you questions regarding your work experience, or handling conflict, challenges, team leadership from the stuff you have written in your essays.
3. talk about international experience, diversity, why MBA, why now, why at HKUST.
4. ask questions about the program - do some research on the program and do come up with some good questions - not generic types
5. interviews will be on background and personality - adcom is not going to ask what sort of exotic derivatives you structured if you were a trader at a bank. As I have said before, the interview is all about fit.

good luck with the interview.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GPA: 3.29
WE:Project Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Hi aviroop,

Could you please describe your overall experience and its curriculum? and do many students get scholarship? (partial or full)
I currently working for Li&Fung, HK based company (not sure if you know this company but I think they are quite famous in HK) in my country for 3 years and I'm lookin hkust as one of my option

Thanks,
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts