Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 16:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

HKUST > Yale, according to Financial Times?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

HKUST > Yale, according to Financial Times? [#permalink] New post 04 May 2010, 14:25
Hi all. I was looking at the Financial Times ranking and oddly, HKUST Business School is ranked 9th over Yale School of Management, which is 16th:

http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolra ... a-rankings

In fact, HKUST is ranked above Yale, Stern, and Oxford.

I went to HKUST's site and they claim that 80% range of their GMAT scores are between 580-730:

http://www.mba.ust.hk/ftmba/faq/adm.html#2

Compare this to Yale, where the middle 80% range of their GMAT scores are between 660 and 760 (2010 class):

http://mba.yale.edu/MBA/students/class_statistics.shtml

How does the Financial Times compose these rankings? Is it because the US economy has been hit harder than Hong Kong/China, and because of the lower employment rates by new grads, Yale is ranked that badly?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 63 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: HKUST > Yale, according to Financial Times? [#permalink] New post 04 May 2010, 15:56
This post received
KUDOS
I'm no expert, but it seems like it's hard to calculate a school's value outside of the country it exists within. If you want to work in Asia, go to HKUST. If you want to work in the United States, go to Yale. Aside from a few worldwide brands (HBS, Stanford, Wharton, LBS, maybe a few more), a school's value drops significantly outside of the home country. Even these worldwide brands (HBS, Stanford, Wharton, LBS) won't carry as much weight abroad -- but the drop isn't quite as significant.

In short -- I ignore worldwide rankings because it's almost impossible to compare them. It's all about perspective
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: HKUST > Yale, according to Financial Times? [#permalink] New post 04 May 2010, 21:52
YourDreamTheater wrote:
I'm no expert, but it seems like it's hard to calculate a school's value outside of the country it exists within. If you want to work in Asia, go to HKUST. If you want to work in the United States, go to Yale. Aside from a few worldwide brands (HBS, Stanford, Wharton, LBS, maybe a few more), a school's value drops significantly outside of the home country. Even these worldwide brands (HBS, Stanford, Wharton, LBS) won't carry as much weight abroad -- but the drop isn't quite as significant.

In short -- I ignore worldwide rankings because it's almost impossible to compare them. It's all about perspective

Isn't Yale a worldwide brand? I thought Yale is known quite well world wide...
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: HKUST > Yale, according to Financial Times? [#permalink] New post 04 May 2010, 22:08
gmattester123 wrote:
YourDreamTheater wrote:

Isn't Yale a worldwide brand? I thought Yale is known quite well world wide...

There's a difference between a university brand and a business school brand. Sure, Yale has a great university brand (undergrad, law. etc.), but the business school isn't the same caliber (yet) as the other parts of the university.

There are plenty of other examples of top schools with b-schools that aren't quite up to par. Cambridge and Oxford come to mind.

This entire concept holds much more weight if you want to go into a field full of MBAs where your potential employers will know about the business school you come from. If you're going into a field where business school isn't the normal path, then overall lay-person prestige may hold more importance.
Current Student
Schools: Ross 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: HKUST > Yale, according to Financial Times? [#permalink] New post 05 May 2010, 06:05
By BW forum standards, the only ranking that matters is the USN rankings.

Respect my Authoritaaah!

VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: HKUST > Yale, according to Financial Times? [#permalink] New post 05 May 2010, 07:04
The FT rankings are heavily influenced by International salary adjustments for quality of life. I would expect HKUST gets a boost for that, as does ISB.

milias wrote:

milias - I can only imagine the BW forum collectively laid an egg when they saw the BW article about some MBAs choosing to leave the US. Plus the absurd 'twenty job offers' blatant lie...

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: HKUST > Yale, according to Financial Times? [#permalink] New post 05 May 2010, 07:15
FT rankings are based on purchasing power parity. Look at their methodology.
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 6 years - Telecom

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 11

Re: HKUST > Yale, according to Financial Times? [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2011, 12:53
milias wrote:

BW ranking doesn't matter in the BW forum? :wink:

If you won't invest in yourself, why would anybody wants to invest in you?

Re: HKUST > Yale, according to Financial Times?   [#permalink] 10 Jan 2011, 12:53