Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 18:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Hollywood restaurant is replacing some of its standard

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 61 [1] , given: 0

Hollywood restaurant is replacing some of its standard [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2012, 13:17
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

81% (02:08) correct 20% (01:25) wrong based on 400 sessions
Hollywood restaurant is replacing some of its standard tables with tall tables and stools. The restaurant already fills every available seat during its operating hours, and the change in seating arrangements will not result in an increase in the restaurant's seating capacity. Nonetheless, the restaurant's management expects revenue to increase as a result of the seating change without any concurrent change in menu, prices, or operating hours.

Which of the following, if true, provides the best reason for the expectation?

(A) One of the taller tables takes up less floor space than one of the standard tables.

(B) Diners seated on stools typically do not linger over dinner as long as diners seated at standard tables.

(C) Since the restaurant will replace only some of its standard tables, it can continue to accommodate customers who do not care for the taller tables.

(D) Few diners are likely to avoid the restaurant because of the new seating arrangement.

(E) The standard tables being replaced by tall tables would otherwise have to be replaced with new standard tables at a greater expense.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 61 [1] , given: 12

Re: Hollywood restaurant is replacing some of its standard [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2012, 14:38
This post received
KUDOS
I will say A has as much weightage as B because you might increase revenue by fitting in more people in the same place.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: Hollywood restaurant is replacing some of its standard [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2012, 13:26
B.

argument says that changing the seat pattern will increase revenue eventhough the number of seats will not increase.
B states a reason how this will be achieved.
people will take less time to eat their meals. Thus more people will visit the restaurant .Thus revenue will increase.

suppose previously in 1 hr 1 customer ate. now 2 will eat as customer wont linger on the food because of the seating. So more customers will eat in same amount of time.Thus more revenues.

Not a 700 level question.

GMAT 1- 770(Q 51 V44)
cya ISB in 2013 !!

Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 122 [0], given: 75

Re: Hollywood restaurant is replacing some of its standard [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2012, 13:30
(A) One of the taller tables takes up less floor space than one of the standard tables.
"....change in seating arrangements will not result in an increase in the restaurant's seating capacity..." Incorrect

(B) Diners seated on stools typically do not linger over dinner as long as diners seated at standard tables.
so , the standard table/new arrangement will attract more diners.

(C) Since the restaurant will replace only some of its standard tables, it can continue to accommodate customers who do not care for the taller tables.
customers who do or do not care for the taller table is not under consideration.

(D) Few diners are likely to avoid the restaurant because of the new seating arrangement.
weakening

(E) The standard tables being replaced by tall tables would otherwise have to be replaced with new standard tables at a greater expense.
expense is not under consideration.

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Hollywood restaurant is replacing some of its standard [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2012, 14:08
IMO- B.
A) One of the taller tables takes up less floor space than one of the standard tables.
I[color=#662d91]t won't increase the capacity of the res.[/color]
There will be more cycles of diners within the same operating hours, increasing the customers and in turn revenue.

not leading to customer increase
going against the new arrangement
going in different direction.
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 249 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: Hollywood restaurant is replacing some of its standard [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2012, 18:39
+1 B

With the taller tables, there will be a higher customers rotation. People will leave the restaurant faster, leaving the seats to new customers.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Finance

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 16

Re: Hollywood restaurant is replacing some of its standard [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2012, 08:55
i marked B as answer. but why not A??? can any one explain...?
Manager
Manager
Schools: IIM

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 11

Re: Hollywood restaurant is replacing some of its standard [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2013, 01:19
thevenus wrote:
"....change in seating arrangements will not result in an increase in the restaurant's seating capacity..." Incorrect

so , the standard table/new arrangement will attract more diners.

customers who do or do not care for the taller table is not under consideration.

weakening

expense is not under consideration.

Here A says that taller tables will occupy less floor space and hence more seats can be arranged and therefore more revenues may be generated. Where I am wrong, pl point out.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 7

Re: Hollywood restaurant is replacing some of its standard [#permalink] New post 07 May 2013, 09:52
definitely B.

Since the point in question is not discussing the spatial availability. question is if the number of customers visiting the place could be amplified. having diners not lingering over their food for a long while will definitely push them off for new customers and that is exactly what we want.
:roll:
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1184

Kudos [?]: 3134 [0], given: 176

Re: Hollywood restaurant is replacing some of its standard [#permalink] New post 08 May 2013, 08:56
Expert's post
Hi,

In this question, we need to find the best reason for the expectation.

Expectation: Revenue will increase

Constraints:

No change in menu, prices, or operating hours

No increase in seating capacity

Analysis of Option Statements

(A) One of the taller tables takes up less floor space than one of the standard tables. - Even if taller tables take less space, it is clearly given in the passage the seating capacity will not increase. So, there is advantage of less space occupying tables. Therefore, this does not provide a reason for increased revenues.

(B) Diners seated on stools typically do not linger over dinner as long as diners seated at standard tables. - If this is true, then even with all the constraints, the restaurants will have more customers everyday. So, if previously, diners used to take 30 minutes, diners now take 20 minutes to eat. So, while in previous case, each table served 2 customers every hour, now every table serves 3 customers every hour. So, it provides a reason for increase in revenues. Correct.

(C) Since the restaurant will replace only some of its standard tables, it can continue to accommodate customers who do not care for the taller tables. - Irrelevant

(D) Few diners are likely to avoid the restaurant because of the new seating arrangement. - This provides a reason as to why the revenues should not fall but it does not provide any reason for expectation for increased revenues.

(E) The standard tables being replaced by tall tables would otherwise have to be replaced with new standard tables at a greater expense. - We are concerned with revenues, not costs. Irrelevant.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Chiranjeev

Free Webinar: July 26, 2014 - Ace GMAT RC: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to apply the Reading Strategies critical to ace the GMAT Reading Comprehension. Click here to register.

Last edited by egmat on 08 May 2013, 18:26, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 181 [0], given: 66

Re: Hollywood restaurant is replacing some of its standard [#permalink] New post 08 May 2013, 11:00
Expert's post
Indeed A seems like a tempting choice until you reread the question and it specifically indicates that the number of seats will remain unchanged. In essence, no more patrons will enter the establishment, but there will be more available floorspace for... say going to the bathroom or whatever. Since there is no increase in the number of customers at any given time, the only way to increase revenue is to increase turnover. The same table will be occupied only for an hour instead of two hours. That will increase revenue even if there are never more than 100 customers in the restaurant at any given time.

B is thus the perfect answer.

Hope this helps!
-Ron

Ron Awad
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting Services
Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
Followers: 241

Kudos [?]: 2045 [0], given: 677

Re: Hollywood restaurant is replacing some of its standard [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2013, 15:36
Expert's post
VP
VP
Followers: 200

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Hollywood restaurant is replacing some of its standard [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2014, 11:40
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Hollywood restaurant is replacing some of its standard   [#permalink] 01 Jul 2014, 11:40