Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Nov 2014, 20:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Holy Moving Costs, Batman!!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Holy Moving Costs, Batman!!! [#permalink] New post 04 May 2007, 06:59
ok so i'm finally having movers come look at my stuff and give me an estimate to move. for reference, i'm moving from new england to evanston. i live in a small 1bdrm apt (so not that much stuff), but i will need storage for a month. i asked for the price if i packed myself vs. if they packed for me. note that the difference between the two is not only the time/labor involved in packing my stuff, but if i did it myself then i would foot the bill for all the packing supplies.

and the grand total is....$3750. :shock: mother of god, are they f'ing serious?! and it's only $600 cheaper if i pack myself, which if you subtract the packing supplies then it's probably closer to $450.

i was going to leave my job on june 8, but i'm considering staying a few more weeks for the money.

anyone have any words of wisdom or comiseration? (like my new word? :P )
Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2010
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 04 May 2007, 07:07
you must be moving a lot of stuff. i'm planning on going college-style, with a few bags of clothes and my laptop when i move to school.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 04 May 2007, 07:25
well i'm basically moving everything in my 1bdrm apt to my new 1bdrm apt. i could go the partial furniture route but getting new furniture in evanston would probably be more expensive than moving what i have now (which is decently nice and not too old).

i suppose i could really do the whole thing myself...

renting a uhaul to put in local storage $100
local hired guns to move my heavy stuff $200
uhaul from storage to new home $1250
hired guns at destination to move heavy stuff $200
gas $200?
packing supplies $200
storage $50

total $2200

hmm. it's a lot cheaper but a HUGE pain in the ass. forget the packing of the stuff, but i'd have to move my stuff into a uhaul, drive it to storage and then unload it. then i'd have to reload it onto another uhaul, drive it to illinois (yuck) and unload it again. i live on the 2nd floor now but the new place has an elevator. i'm sure there's some $ value to be placed on the hassle/PITA factor. $1550? :lol:
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 04 May 2007, 07:36
I'll be moving to NY and don't feel like rolling into town with a U-Haul (done this before to help friends move, no fun).

I'm just going to show up college-style too, with a couple of suitcases. I'll get cheap furniture if I need it, but going to keep it pretty minimal.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 04 May 2007, 10:13
So are you having the moving company do everything for you, including packing up the UHaul and driving it to Evanston?

I am going to try and pack up all my things in a UHaul here in KC, drive the UHaul down to Nashville myself, then have some movers in the area take my heavy stuff in for me. I'm hoping that will be fairly inexpensive, but I haven't received any estimates yet - I hope it's nowhere near the estimate they gave you.l
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Holy Moving Costs, Batman!!! [#permalink] New post 04 May 2007, 12:15
How many lbs of stuff are you moving? I'm moving from Boston to South Bend Indiana, and I got a quote for $850 total (1200lbs) and I get free storage up to one month. Of course it helps I'm not having them pack anything.

bulishona wrote:
ok so i'm finally having movers come look at my stuff and give me an estimate to move. for reference, i'm moving from new england to evanston. i live in a small 1bdrm apt (so not that much stuff), but i will need storage for a month. i asked for the price if i packed myself vs. if they packed for me. note that the difference between the two is not only the time/labor involved in packing my stuff, but if i did it myself then i would foot the bill for all the packing supplies.

and the grand total is....$3750. :shock: mother of god, are they f'ing serious?! and it's only $600 cheaper if i pack myself, which if you subtract the packing supplies then it's probably closer to $450.

i was going to leave my job on june 8, but i'm considering staying a few more weeks for the money.

anyone have any words of wisdom or comiseration? (like my new word? :P )
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 707 [0], given: 5

[#permalink] New post 04 May 2007, 13:29
It all depends on how they ship things. If its all boxes and they can put it on a normal semi then its fairly reasonable since they can put it in as freight. If you are having them move furniture and anything large and fragile it gets very expensive. Depending on where we go we are going to bring out stuff with us or send it to my parents house. We have an entire house full of stuff so some is not going to fit in any apartment we will rent. If we are planning on moving to a place where chances are we will stay after school then we will bring our nice furniture and sell the rest or give it to friends. If we go someplace that we will stick at for two years its going to my parents house. I am not about to pay for two years worth of storage for expensive furniture that might get ruined...heard lots of horror stories about storage units.

Its a huge nightmare to deal with moving stuff ourselves. We moved into our house and have since added a lot of large items. Sleighbed, armoire, china cabinet, large bureaus...besides everytime we moved stuff before it got damaged and I am not about to scrape apart all this stuff my wife had to have (and spent so much on I didnt get my plasma or new car this year).
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 14 May 2007, 07:25
not that you guys probably care :P but i thought i'd give an update...

i decided to sell almost all of my furniture. i am only going to be keeping a few select items that i really like (e.g. my bed, which is a sleep number bed that i LOVE and refuse to part with) or that are small enough to be really easy to move myself.

i will be buying replacement furniture for what i'm selling from the guy who currently lives in the apt i will be moving in to. this actually worked out quite well, as he gave me an awesome deal and the landlord is fine with this arrangement. no moving of the big/heavy stuff and i got it cheap!

the rest of my stuff (fancy kitchen gadgets, clothes, books, misc stuff) i am throwing into boxes and putting in to storage for a few months until i move in.

doing the whole thing via uhaul, my bf will help me with the boxes. should only take a few hours of not-too-heavy-lifting on each side. the only crappy thing is the 2-day drive to chicago but i have a friend in pittsburgh i can crash a night with so even that's free.

revised cost:

renting a uhaul to put in local storage $100
uhaul from storage to new home $950
gas $200?
packing supplies $50 (check out usedcardboardboxes.com, it's really cheap and good quality stuff! just received it on friday)
storage $50 (first month free, only have to pay for 2 weeks!)

total $1350
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Holy Moving Costs, Batman!!! [#permalink] New post 14 May 2007, 10:37
MoonShine wrote:
How many lbs of stuff are you moving? I'm moving from Boston to South Bend Indiana, and I got a quote for $850 total (1200lbs) and I get free storage up to one month. Of course it helps I'm not having them pack anything.

Do you mind sharing what company you are using? Do you know if they're national? That seems like an awesome quote!
Manager
Manager

Re: Holy Moving Costs, Batman!!! [#permalink] New post 15 May 2007, 18:52
Advantage Van Lines, LLC

http://www.trenton.bbb.org/nis/newsearc ... 0010002233

kharma wrote:
MoonShine wrote:

Do you mind sharing what company you are using? Do you know if they're national? That seems like an awesome quote!
SVP
SVP
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 2

[#permalink] New post 17 May 2007, 19:12
I think one sign of "I've made it" adulthood is that you are not willing to part with all the crap that you own (because it's actually nice stuff that would be expensive to replace) and you have no intention of moving it yourself.

We rented a 22' truck. The deal is that ndhlp is going to have to drive the truck, while I get the Nissan. Of course, our Nissan only made it halfway through our last trip when we had to get it towed to a repair shop and then rent another car to make it the rest of the way. And I also get to haul both kitties, who really don't like driving. Especially for 10+ hours. I guess it's a fair arrangement.

Anyone got any advice for moving the furballs?
VP
VP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 185 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 May 2007, 20:13
aaudetat wrote:
I think one sign of "I've made it" adulthood is that you are not willing to part with all the crap that you own (because it's actually nice stuff that would be expensive to replace) and you have no intention of moving it yourself.

We rented a 22' truck. The deal is that ndhlp is going to have to drive the truck, while I get the Nissan. Of course, our Nissan only made it halfway through our last trip when we had to get it towed to a repair shop and then rent another car to make it the rest of the way. And I also get to haul both kitties, who really don't like driving. Especially for 10+ hours. I guess it's a fair arrangement.

Let the furballs back home for a day or two with a neighbour or just leave them extra food and water. Then drive Nissan - fly back home - sedate them - fly to school.

Or better: sell Nissan, let ndhlp drive truck while you fly with sedated furballs and then buy similar Nissan at school. Or while you are at it, why not buy a car that actually works all the time, not just half a trip. :lol:

The lengthiest experience I had moving non sedated furballs lasted about 1 hour and she required constant attention from the kids (i.e.: my sister and me, this was way back) and was still unsettled all the way.

G'luck.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 432 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 May 2007, 20:26
aaudetat wrote:

Throw them in the trunk?
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 May 2007, 03:37
aaudetat wrote:

Aaudetat,

We are doing something relatively similar. I am taking a cross country road trip (with one of my buddies :-D) with our stuff in a Budget Truck and towing my wife's car behind us. She then is flying out with our cat and one of her friends, so the cats wont be in the car for that long (our trip is considerably longer than yours 22 hours driving, so basically three days). Continental allows pets on for sure, I do not know about any other airlines.
Current Student
Followers: 2

[#permalink] New post 18 May 2007, 04:43
aaudetat wrote:

We get something from the vet that sedates them for a few hours. Works well for one of our kitties, not so well for the other one.
SVP
SVP
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 2

[#permalink] New post 18 May 2007, 05:19
You can also just ship your cats -- you don't have to be on the flight with them. I have friends who have shipped their cats from coast-to-coast several times.

If I have to drive, kitties do too!
  [#permalink] 18 May 2007, 05:19