Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 14:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Honest no nonsense opinons required!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Honest no nonsense opinons required! [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2009, 17:53
Hey,
I am recent forum member and think the people on here are the creme of the crop. The last few days has got me thinking about my profile and school choices and figured I would ask you guys to critique me first and take it from there. I am a mechanical engineer working for a equipment manufacturing firm.

I am planning on pursuing an MBA from

1. Kellogg (MMM) or
2. MIT(LFM) program.

So with that in mind here goes.

Undergraduate: Bachelors in Engineering from University of Madras(India)....69%( Last two years is 74%) do not know what the gpa number is but if it helps my university topper was at 85%...

Graduate School: 4 years of school later dropped out with < 2 Gpa. Noting to blame but alcohol & stupidity!

Work Experience: 3 years of work experience. Improving responsiblity, fantastic references , 4 patents pending on projects I have designed and developed.

E.C: Volunteered as the events coordinator at my graduate school (was voted Volunteer of the month), Mixed Martial Arts Student, Student body president (Undergraduate years), Events Co-ordinator at my Undergraduate college.

Gmat: Let us assume 720+

Reading the forums and the great people that get admitted has got me wondering...Am I stupid to even apply to Kellogg and Sloan? So please give me your honest opinion.Thank you I truly appreciate it!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Schools: Sasin Graduate School of Chulanlongkorn University

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Honest no nonsense opinons required! [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2009, 20:35
I had a few friends (we're from Thailand) who went to Kellogg and one who went to MIT, their profiles are all great! Well, some who didn't get that great GMAT, were great on other areas. For your profile, I'm not sure sure whether your GPA is high enough as those friends of mine got the near-top scores from the best undergrad business program in Thailand (1st honor). Most of them had about 3 years of outstanding work experience too. But if you get 720, it might really help.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Darden, Haas, Smith, Wharton, Stanford and HBS

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Honest no nonsense opinons required! [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2009, 19:24
I think your profile is solid overall, but you unfortunately fall under that dreaded applicant group - Indian IT, male. So, you need a very high GMAT score (720+) just to be average in your applicant group.

And, based on the information you provided, your leadership experience seems to be a bit thin (which will be crucial difference for any top program).

So, I think both Kellogg and MIT would be a stretch for you.

But, take this advice with a grain of salt (since I am neither admissions consultant nor do I have experience working in MBA admissions office) and remember miracles do happen :-)
Re: Honest no nonsense opinons required!   [#permalink] 04 Feb 2009, 19:24