Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 17:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Honestly, what are my chances?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Honestly, what are my chances? [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2005, 18:41
After starting off very poorly my first two quarters at Univ. of GA (.25 GPA) because of death of father and immaturity (17 first year at college and loss of father mid way through first quarter), I took a year off and transferred to Georgia State and got my BBA majoring in Information Systems (Top 10 Undergrad IS program) while working full time to help mom with bills.

GSU GPA: 3.66 Faculty Scholar / Dean's List / Cum Laude

Overall GPA with tranfer credit: 3.14 Ouch!

Work experience: Current job listed last

96-00 4 years Office Manager small accounting firm

00-02 2 years Operations Manager for Corporate Relations with JW Homes (550 mill/yr company)

02-05 3 years B to B outside sales / consulting experience with Keyence Corporation, number 5 ranked company in Japans Top 100. Excellent quantifiable sales results, numerous honors and recognition, and fast advancement selling very technical engineering / process improvement equipment to manufacturing organizations.

(Currently on leave of absence due to death of mother in July and helping with displaced family from Hurricane Katrina. Grandma, aunt, uncle and cousin now living with me in Charlotte.)

Two glowing recommendations from current and previous employers.

GMAT: 710 V:42 96% Q:44 73% (surprising Q score..very low)

I know the Q score is very low, but I've always excelled in math. I have an IS degree and work in engineering now, both very technical in nature. I think Data Sufficiency killed me!

Other: Habitat for Humanity volunteer (3 yrs), little league coach (2 years), volunteer every tuesday at magnet school for special needs children (3 yrs).

6 weeks abroad in Japan for Management Trainee program with current employer.

What are my chances at getting in to:

1. Duke

2. UNC

3. UVA

Any other schools to suggest? I live in Charlotte so Duke is first choice for location / Program in Entrepreneurship and Innovation.

Also, since I feel I have a complicated message to communicate, should I consider admissions counseling in order to position / market myself effectively?

Thank you for your time and honest opinion,

Ivy

[/b]
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 46

[#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2005, 11:19
Expert's post
Actually, I think I'm more bullish on yoru chances than you are. I think you have a pretty good chance at all three of those schools. I've heard adcomms say that they like to see strong finishes in undergrad GPA (rather than starting off strong and teh ncosting in yoru senior year), and it sounds like you're in that camp. Trust me... They do NOT just look at the raw number and make a decision, ever.

One thing you didn't really mention was what you want to do after school, why you want an MBA, etc. But, even without that, I could see you getting into those schools. You clearly have the maturity to do so. It also sounds like you've moved up quickly in yoru career, too.

Yeah, I know what you mean about your GMAT score... Ideally a bit higher in quant, but this score will not keep you out of any school. No need to take again.

In terms of hiring an expert, it might help, but I actually don't think that your story is all that complicated or hard for an adcomm to "get." I think you can get in!

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews