Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 19:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Hope you can help me with my profile and chances

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Hope you can help me with my profile and chances [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2006, 06:15
Hjort,

First let me thank you for your contribution in this forums

I hope you can help me here, well I applied to Schulich School of Business (York) – Canada, and HEC-Montréal Canada. (I just applied this week,and I think it will be a month or more before I get an answer)(Actually those are my prime choices , please after u take a look at my profile comment on my chances)

Now I want to consider two or max another three schools to apply to, and I am mainly looking for non-USA schools (I have been in the US and have a master from there, and I wish to have another international experience)

I am considering Rotman (University of Toronto), Sauder UBC , and ESADE (spain),.

If I will consider the the US, my main choice is going to be Thunderbird (I love the international business program)

I am on limited finical resources, so I will be looking for the school that I will have a good chance in financial aid (scholarships, assistantships, or loans for international students)

A brief background
• Education :
1. Master of science from the USA (GPA: 3.94/4)
2. Postgraduate diploma from Egypt: (GPA : 3.75/4 US equivalent)
3. Undergraduate BSc in engineering from Egypt (GPA : 2.4/4 US equivalent) ---- > this is my weak point

• GMAT : 660 (86%) - Q:47 (81%), V:35 (77%)
( I had a bad cold in the exam day, and I believe that my real ability score should be between 680 and 720)

•Experience: more than 5 years

1.Currently working for a major company in the Middle East (in Egypt) for 2 years as a business analyst
2.I worked several jobs in the USA while doing my masters which can add up to a year or more of full time. Also have an experience in running a small business (I had shares in)

3.I worked as A quality control engineer for 2 years

•Internships: undergraduate internships in France, and Germany

•Personal experience , quite different from an average Egyptian and I believe it is a strong point in my side

Hope to get your advice, and thanks in advance
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
CEO
CEO
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 435 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2006, 08:30
It sounds like you have an interesting profile. Your graduate education and GMAT should allay concerns about your performance in college. Accordingly, you should be a strong candidate for HEC M and York based on the information you shared.

Do you wish to return to Egypt after the MBA?
Which languages do you speak?
What sort of leadership exp. do you have?
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2006, 08:38
My long term career goal (in 10 years or so) is to get back to Egypt and the middle east for a leadership position, I wish I can help in the development.

My short term, international business (international management) in multinational organization

Languages : English, and Arabic currently improving my French

Leadership : mainly I have run a friend business in the USA after 9/11 and I have a rich personal life experience.

In my country, it is not the same way like the USA to mention leadership roles or community works.

Do u see a potential for a scholarship, and what about the other schools I consider to apply for, do u see a good chance
CEO
CEO

[#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2006, 08:48
That was fast.

As a gross overgeneralization, one of the advantages of US schools is that they tend to have a lot of money that they can spend on scholarships and other forms of merit aid. Some of our fellow GMAT Clubbers have earned large scholarships from name brand schools in the US. This is not to say that one cannot get aid outside of the US but it does seem to be more difficult.

I think you might have underestimated the strength of your profile. Your background suggests that you have a perspective that would be valuable for most business schools to possess in class discussions and team exercises.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2006, 08:55
I have been online all day and night trying to look for the other two programs to apply for :), and to address my chances for Financial Aid

So, Rotman (University of Toronto), Sauder UBC , and ESADE (spain),.

If I will consider the the US, my main choice is going to be Thunderbird (I love the international business program), how do u see me there

Yeah, my profile seem to interest ppl, but it is the lack of the Financial recourses (remember a different personal lfe experience that explain it all ). Two people, advised for elite school with my profile and to be honest, in most of the schools , I haven't seen Egyptians or Arabs (I think there was one in rotman)
They mentioned I am in the 80% o the GMAT but with my different profile I am at an advantage, they made me dream of Columbia, Yale, and MIT
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2006, 09:01
By the way, thanks for ur answers, thanks
CEO
CEO

[#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2006, 12:03
Have you looked at Cornell?
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2006, 14:02
Just talking to u give me high hopes, if I have a chance at cornel, then I have a chance for scholarship in York (Schulich), and HEC

Well, after I checked the deadlines, I do not have a chance because R5 (march 1st) are not considered for scholarship.

What other options do u think I have? I mean with schools that I am within the application deadlines?

I really dream of Columbia , and I know they have a start in Jan. Do u think I have a chance there? and what is the difference between January, and September starts (only internships)

also I think, not sure, that Georgetown & Indiana seems good options

How can I thank you for your answers :)
CEO
CEO

[#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2006, 14:39
I did not realize that you were looking to begin a program in 2006 or early 07. I mentioned Cornell because Johnson is strong in International Business and has a lot of money available.

Georgetown is another strong choice for International Business. Since you like Thunderbird have you looked at South Carolina?

To be clear, I have a high level of respect for the MBA programs in Canada- I am suggesting these schools in addition to, rather than instead of, schools such as York.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2006, 22:12
well, York&HEC are my first choices but I am just thinking of other programs.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2006, 02:48
Hjort,

I have talked with Oxford (Said), and the admissions rep. was very supportive, and did see a strong potential in my profile, do u think I have a chance there?

She also mentioned, and emphasized that my chances in the 3rd round are the same as in the first round as they preserve equal seats for every round , and even for financial aid I will have a chance in the 3rd round, what do u think of that?
CEO
CEO

[#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2006, 17:23
Yes, Oxford is a logical choice for you.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2006, 11:28
Well, I hope I am not bothering you with my many inquires and questions.

Here is the situation:

I have applied ,as you know, to Canadian universities and actually York is my main choice , I love the school, and I see myself fitting there however, I am not sure of my chances for financial aid (do see a good chance for Financial aid there, should I write a letter to the university explaining my need for financial aid?).

So, I am considering my options for loan, and if I am planning to take a loan, I would like to take it from a school that can really post my chances for job placement.

My main interest is in international business, and general management, and to work in a multinational in the USA or Europe for 5 years than back to my country for a leading position.

I am thinking to consider three schools to apply to in the next admission round, and see my chances, and later I will be considering the programs that I can apply in Jan with opportunity to retake the GMAT (INSEAD for example is in this catgory).

So what American, and international schools list you would recommend for me to start looking at.

Here is my primary list:

Europe:

Oxford (Great name, a dream name but seems strong mainly for finance)
LBS (HSBS loan upon acceptance), maybe a stretch for me in R3
Iese – Spain seems to fit but job placement in Spain?

USA:

Cornell (March 1 st3d round without financial aid, but I love the school, so I am considering a loan, do u see a reasonable chance in R3)
Georgetown (last round Apr.)
Washington University in St. Louis --- just gathering information about it
Indiana –Kelley
University of South Carolina
any more to consider ?

I am still working on my list,

Finally, I hope I am not bothering you with this many questions, but I am finding it very hard to get consultancy here
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2006, 15:49
Sorry for the delay to your PM. I am, as usual, very busy with school.

First of all, if you come to LBS, do not expect the kind of scholarship which you could get through US schools, which have much larger endowment funds. Although LBS is highly ranked in the FT, its endowment is very low which makes it very unlikely to give out scholarships. Unless you have 760+GMAT, you might not get one. That said, there are however other kind of scholarships you can get. For instance, there are three scholarships given by Deutsche Bank, Citigroup and Merrill Lynch. While the first two are given to women only(20k, 10k), the latter is 10k pounds given to the one who writes the best essay(on an assigned topic). The most important form of scholarship though is the one given by the British Council and Egypt, being a former Commonwealth country, would make you eligible. Just make a google search on the British Council scholarships and you should get there. The scholarship could go for more than 20000 pounds so it's definitely worth it. However, do not rely to much on any kind of scholarships: most students end up self financing their studies anyways.

All things considered, you do have a competitive profile for LBS and there are actually many Egyptians in my program(MSc.). They do bring a wealth of diversity to LBS and it is what makes LBS special in that sense: 95% are non-British students.

FYI, my classmate had 640 on his GMAT but he is in the program. Other parts of his essays were strong and given your strong graduate GPA and 80% range GMAT, you should give it a shot. I agree though that the application fees are quite high but it is a chance to take...

You asked me about the other schools in the PM but I might not be qualified to speak for them. Good luck.

Best Regards,

Paul

[#permalink] 08 Feb 2006, 15:49

Hope you can help me with my profile and chances

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap