Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 07:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Hopefully helpful info for aspiring PhD's ......

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
6 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [6] , given: 0

Hopefully helpful info for aspiring PhD's ...... [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2006, 09:15
This post received
KUDOS
(this was compiled from one of my previous responses for another post...but I thought it might be helpful for others)

DocNet is an organization of universities granting doctoral degrees in business administration and economics. Its purpose is to promote doctoral education in business throughout the world.

http://www.coba.usf.edu/docnet/

Here is a little info about the PhD in business and some of the qualities of most programs...it was posted before somewhere in here.

http://www.hbs.edu/doctoral/SYOA/

The PhD Project is designed to encourage African Americans, Hispanic Am. and Native Am. to pursue a PhD in business...the website is helpful in locating info concerning the culture of the PhD programs and other misc. info.

http://www.phdproject.org

Another thing is to make sure the school AACSB accred. You may already know this....but here is a list of AACSB accred schools with Phd Programs

http://www.aacsb.edu/publications/dfc/phd-schools.asp

Also....here is a site that ranks the doctoral programs worldwide....even though it states EMBA rankings...go through the ranking area options on top and find the one that states "FT Doctoral Rank" click on that and it ranks the best doctoral programs in the world in business...decided by financial times...

http://rankings.ft.com/rankings//index.jsp

Hopefully that will give you a little insight and quite possibly aid your research.

~Christopher~
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [2] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2006, 12:07
This post received
KUDOS
ctorrance:

Thank you for sharing the information.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2006, 13:16
This post received
KUDOS
no problem....i have been searching for more info to give insight on PhD business...due to the small amount of business PhD's in the world (surprising but true)...info can be a little limited.....
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 44 [3] , given: 2

[#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2006, 05:49
This post received
KUDOS
Two comments about the FT ranking:

1) Here's what FT says about the doctoral ranking:

FT doctoral rank

Number of doctoral graduates from the past three years with added weighting for those doctoral graduates taking up faculty positions at one of the top 50 full-time MBA schools. This appears as a rank where the top score is one.

"Added weighting" is good, but we don't know what it is. Otherwise it's a completely useless ranking, since even University of Phoenix online can award doctoral degrees. Since their costs in doing so are low, they can afford to award a bunch of them. If more people want a fake PhD by sending them their resume and a cover letter, then they'll go up in the FT rankings.

2) The FT table you linked to is the EMBA ranking, so clicking on "FT doctoral rank" will rank doctoral programs among schools that _are already ranked in the EMBA table_. This is very important, and the impact is that the results are complete b.s. Fundação Instituto de Administração from Brazil is #6 in the world for its PhD program according to this ranking. By some chance, Wharton is there at the top, but I challenge you to find someone who would rather have a PhD from Copenhagen Business Schools (#2) than from Cornell (#50)... MIT's not on the list because they have no EMBA... I could go on and on!

(However if you do the same thing with the full-time MBA program you'll get better results, but the caveat mentioned in 1 means that you'll still get some very weird stuff going on. The best thing to do is probably take the MBA ranking, whether this one or B-Week, and research further to see what schools are especially good in your area.)
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 0

Interesting reading for aspiring PhD's [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2006, 13:31
This post received
KUDOS
Here is some interesting reading for those considering a PhD in business...this report from AACSB goes in depth some of the issue concerning business academia, including faculty shortages and B-School growth.....also the second link is a tri-fold brochure promoting doctorate level studies in business.. If you have not read these documents before, hopefully it will be informative!

Christopher

http://www.aacsb.edu/publications/dfc/S ... arship.pdf

http://www.aacsb.edu/Resource_Centers/D ... ochure.pdf
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [2] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2006, 06:16
This post received
KUDOS
Thank you Guys,
Its wonderful to find so much information at one Place.
I was searching all over web for this info. Now I can start from here.

Any one knows which is good place to get admission in PHD with scholarship.
Chao!

regards,

=====================
Look for the bigger Picture.

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [2] , given: 0

Oxford PhD [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2006, 02:49
This post received
KUDOS
Hello everybody, can anybody here give me references about Oxford U PhD program in management (Said Business School). I want to do a PhD in Strategy.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma
Schools: Harvard, Penn, Maryland
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Hopefully helpful info for aspiring PhD's ...... [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2008, 20:23
This post received
KUDOS
i think the links above are out of date, most of them said page unavailable when I clicked on them.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 6

Re: Hopefully helpful info for aspiring PhD's ...... [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2009, 08:02
This post received
KUDOS
thanks for the links
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [2] , given: 0

Re: Hopefully helpful info for aspiring PhD's ...... [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2009, 16:42
This post received
KUDOS
BYU's accounting phdprep website is a great link it is byuaccounting followed by net. The main page links to the wiki where all the information is at. This is one of the best sites on the web for information about getting a phd in accounting. Sponsored by BYU's accounting program, it contains a lot of information about schools, links to accounting websites, and frequently asked questions.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: Hopefully helpful info for aspiring PhD's ...... [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2010, 03:57
This post received
KUDOS
The links are really helpful.Thanks for sharing with us.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: Hopefully helpful info for aspiring PhD's ...... [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2010, 15:01
This is helpful!

One question though (and it might be in the links posted above, but I haven't had a chance to read them yet)... What are the job prospects for finance PhD's versus regular MBA's? I know that for banking and more traditional finance jobs it's not an advantage, but how about hedge funds? Do they hire PhDs, and if so are they at any advantage over regular finance kids from MBA programs?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
GMAT Date: 09-10-2014
GPA: 3.98
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 21

Re: Hopefully helpful info for aspiring PhD's ...... [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2011, 21:04
Extremely helpful! Thanks a lot.

If you learn to do things that you need to do - then someday - you can do things that you want to do.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Hopefully helpful info for aspiring PhD's ...... [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2013, 21:08
really helpful information. appreciations.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

Re: [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2013, 03:51
maneeshkumar wrote:
Any one knows which is good place to get admission in PHD with scholarship.
Chao!

Hey,

I don't know about the situation in the US, but in Germany there are a huge number of research projects with funding. Check out the European Union database for research jobs called EURAXESS, or search for special scholarships like Marie Curie. Also you can go to universities and look for free PhD positions - for example the KU Leuven has a doctoral school for Humanities with many business & economics projects, almost always with scholarships or at least possibilities for apply for special scholarships. In Germany most PhD positions are actually "halftime doctoral positions with 50% salary", which give you the opportunity to write your PhD thesis part-time - and there are permanently PhD positions in business & economics at almost every university!

Kind regards,
SW
Re:   [#permalink] 29 Jul 2013, 03:51