Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 08:20

Hurry Up:

Last day of registration for Dealing with a Ding - Webinar by GMATClub and Admissionado Consulting.

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Hoping the customers would not carelessly throw too many of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 43 [4] , given: 0

Hoping the customers would not carelessly throw too many of [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2011, 08:22
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (medium)

Question Stats:

37% (02:15) correct 62% (01:03) wrong based on 287 sessions
Hoping the customers would not carelessly throw too many of them away, Bob's Java Hut recently began supplying metal tableware instead of plastic.

A)Hoping the customers would not carelessly throw too many of them away, Bob's Java Hut recently began supplying metal tableware instead of plastic
B)Hoping the customers would not carelessly throw too many of it away, Bob's Java Hut recently began supplying metal tableware instead of plastic
C)Hoping the customers would not carelessly throw too much of them away, Bob's Java Hut recently began supplying metal tableware instead of plastic
D)Hoping the customers would not carelessly throw too much of it away, Bob's Java Hut recently began supplying metal tableware instead of plastic
E)Hoping the customers would not carelessly throw too much of it away, metal tableware has begun to be supplied recently instead of plastic at Bob's Java Hut
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Current Student
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Another Good SC [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2011, 08:34
guygmat wrote:
Hoping the customers would not carelessly throw too many of them away, Bob's Java Hut recently began supplying metal tableware instead of plastic.

A)Hoping the customers would not carelessly throw too many of them away, Bob's Java Hut recently began supplying metal tableware instead of plastic
B)Hoping the customers would not carelessly throw too many of it away, Bob's Java Hut recently began supplying metal tableware instead of plastic
C)Hoping the customers would not carelessly throw too much of them away, Bob's Java Hut recently began supplying metal tableware instead of plastic
D)Hoping the customers would not carelessly throw too much of it away, Bob's Java Hut recently began supplying metal tableware instead of plastic
E)Hoping the customers would not carelessly throw too much of it away, metal tableware has begun to be supplied recently instead of plastic at Bob's Java Hut

Whats the source .. somehow I dint like the quality .
D is better than the rest.
tableware is singluar ... so it..'them' is wrong
plastic - much ( non countable) vs many( countable)
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: Another Good SC [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2011, 11:51
+1 D

Tableware is uncountable.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Another Good SC [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2011, 23:52
What is the difference between B & D?

br,
Binu M S
Free stock tips
Indian recipes

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT Date: 12-27-2011
WE: Law (Law)

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 37

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Another Good SC [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2011, 08:37

A)Hoping the customers would not carelessly throw too many of them away, Bob's Java Hut recently began supplying metal tableware instead of plastic THEM TO DESCRIBE THE SINGULAR TABLEWARE IS WRONG
B)Hoping the customers would not carelessly throw too many of it away, Bob's Java Hut recently began supplying metal tableware instead of plastic IS TABLEWARE COUNTABLE OR NOT? IT SEEMS COUNTABLE.
C)Hoping the customers would not carelessly throw too much of them away, Bob's Java Hut recently began supplying metal tableware instead of plastic THEM TO DESCRIBE THE SINGULAR TABLEWARE IS WRONG
D)Hoping the customers would not carelessly throw too much of it away, Bob's Java Hut recently began supplying metal tableware instead of plastic IS TABLEWARE COUNTABLE OR NOT?
E)Hoping the customers would not carelessly throw too much of it away, metal tableware has begun to be supplied recently instead of plastic at Bob's Java Hut WRONG MODIFIER (HOPING/ METAL TABLEWARE)
Manager
Manager

Re: Another Good SC [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2011, 08:47
i am surprised that Q are gettig that grammatical (what's the source?), because TABLEWARE according to Vikitionary can be countable and can be UC.

After searching a bit i found that DOC, which defines tableware as UC so theanswer must be D (MUCH AND NOT MANY).

SEARCH PAGE 5 SIGN 910 TO FIND THAT TABLE WARE IS UC NOUN.
Attachments

C02-1052.pdf [137.54 KiB]
Downloaded 105 times

To download please login or register as a user

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Another Good SC [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2011, 09:28
msbinu wrote:
What is the difference between B & D?

B uses "many" in the sentence, which is wrong because plastic is not countable. (should use much)
Manager
Manager

Re: Another Good SC [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2011, 10:33
please,

IMO it' not plastic, but plastic tableware.

there is not a precise answer, thoghfrom the source i have attached it seems that all collective noun in regards to the same class, except "dinner set" will be considered UC.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Aidha
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
GMAT 2: 620 Q49 V27
GMAT 3: 700 Q49 V36
WE: Other (Other)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 43

GMAT Tests User
Re: Another Good SC [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2011, 01:58
guygmat wrote:

I disagree with OA here. Use of "much" in option D is wrong as tableware is countable. Between A and B I would prefer A because if table ware is singular, you can not throw "many" of them away.

If my post did a dance in your mind, send me the steps through kudos :)

My MBA journey at http://mbadilemma.wordpress.com/

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Finance
Schools: Cambridge
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.9
WE: Accounting (Education)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 8

Re: Another Good SC [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2011, 03:31
Uncountable nouns go with "much" instead of "many". So the use of much in D is right.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Aidha
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
GMAT 2: 620 Q49 V27
GMAT 3: 700 Q49 V36
WE: Other (Other)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 43

GMAT Tests User
Re: Another Good SC [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2011, 04:26
liftoff wrote:
Uncountable nouns go with "much" instead of "many". So the use of much in D is right.

I think is is very controversial question :) Can someone comment on whether tableware is countable or uncountable. In my opinion it is countable.

If my post did a dance in your mind, send me the steps through kudos :)

My MBA journey at http://mbadilemma.wordpress.com/

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Hoping the customers would not carelessly throw too many of [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2011, 00:44
+1 for D. Very un-like GMAT question.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: Hoping the customers would not carelessly throw too many of [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2012, 09:13
Could someone please explain how the sentence should be read? I don't know what is the subject of "Hoping"

Thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
Schools: HBS '16
GMAT Date: 11-30-2013
GPA: 3.3

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 173

CAT Tests
Re: Hoping the customers would not carelessly throw too many of [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2013, 15:39
guygmat wrote:

Dont you think that Band D are exactly the same statements, not a single thing different?

I think either you havemissed B
or You have missed D

Like my post Send me a Kudos :) It is a Good manner.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT Date: 08-02-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 34

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Hoping the customers would not carelessly throw too many of [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2013, 09:24
honchos wrote:
guygmat wrote:

Dont you think that Band D are exactly the same statements, not a single thing different?

or You have missed D

Carefully read and you will see the difference and how important is that difference.

--It's one thing to get defeated, but another to accept it.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
Schools: HBS '16
GMAT Date: 11-30-2013
GPA: 3.3

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 173

CAT Tests
Re: Hoping the customers would not carelessly throw too many of [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2013, 09:42
ramannanda9 wrote:
honchos wrote:
guygmat wrote:

or You have missed D

Carefully read and you will see the difference and how important is that difference.

Much and Many

Like my post Send me a Kudos :) It is a Good manner.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 41

Re: Hoping the customers would not carelessly throw too many of [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2013, 09:54
guygmat wrote:

Hi,

In B and D,

what does "it" refer to ??

Also which usage is correct "many" or "many".

IMO D should be the answer...

@Marcab: Please help..!!!

Thanks,
Jai

MODULUS Concept ---> inequalities-158054.html#p1257636
HEXAGON Theory ---> hexagon-theory-tips-to-solve-any-heaxgon-question-158189.html#p1258308

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 291

Re: Hoping the customers would not carelessly throw too many of [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2013, 20:16
I disagree with the OA. First of all "metal" tableware can be counted. Second of all controversial questions should be taken down and unnecessary confusion avoided. I have repeatedly mentioned. The moderators should take notice of such questions.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 32

Re: Hoping the customers would not carelessly throw too many of [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2013, 21:23
IMO B.
Metal tableware is countable and many used be used instead of much.
Re: Hoping the customers would not carelessly throw too many of   [#permalink] 16 Oct 2013, 21:23