Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 17:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Hoping to get into a top 20...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Schools: Tuck '13
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Hoping to get into a top 20... [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2010, 13:46
Hello,

I am a biracial female (black and asian) living in the US but a citizen of Canadian and Nepal, scored a 690 (46Q/38V) on the GMAT and have a 3.40 from a US public university (it's recognizable, but certainly not name brand)

I do however have two degrees, Econ and Business (Business w/ honors).

I have 5 years of work experience (4 with a well known investment management firm (at least on the west coast) and 1 year with a Fortune 200 company as a Financial Analyst. I am looking to go into consulting for nonprofits and start ups.

I also founded a nonprofit several years ago to help first generation students from low income backgrounds attend college... but we haven't sent anyone yet to be honest. We do have tax recognization, and our legal docs in order, and are actively fundraising, I would love to send three students to school next fall with partial scholarships- but like I said, nothing really noteworthy has happened yet. This experience is what makes me want to work with start ups and nonprofits

My question is, what schools do you think I have a decent short at? I'm really hoping to stay in the top 20 (and in the North East). I've applied to Columbia and Tuck for Early Decision but am also looking at Johnson (applying next week), Fuqua (already applied), Tepper (already applied) and Harvard (obviously a huge reach, but since I'm going through the process anyway....). Do you feel these are a good mix? Are there any I should be adding ot this list?

Also, based on my profile, are there areas I should be working on more than others? I know that my GMAT is below 700 and if you deem necessary, I could squeeze in another exam before round 2, but I thought that it was decent enough and should concentrate my efforts on my essays instead.

Thank you!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 70

Kudos [?]: 524 [0], given: 0

Re: Hoping to get into a top 20... [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2010, 11:51
I think you're targeting the right range of schools. Yes, you have an interesting profile - however, the GMAT is still an issue, and no matter what schools say about "accepting a range of scores with no minimum" the reality is since the overall caliber of applicants applying is so strong (yes, you're interesting, but there's also enough other "interesting" folks but who will have stronger GMATs than you) - you really need a solid score for it not to be a concern.

You can get into these schools with the score you have, but you're a little safer with a higher score. If you feel you're a strong writer and storyteller (i.e. your essays will be great without having to spend the considerable effort that others may have to), then it may be worth squeezing in another GMAT retake. Again, your GMAT isn't putting you out of the running, but it can put you on the margins for schools in the top 16.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Manager
Manager
Schools: Tuck '13
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Re: Hoping to get into a top 20... [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2010, 14:40
Thanks for the honest feedback Alex- I do feel good about my essay writing, so I'll start cracking open those GMAT books again :|
Re: Hoping to get into a top 20...   [#permalink] 05 Nov 2010, 14:40