Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 21:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Hoping to land at a top school

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Hoping to land at a top school [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2007, 19:16
I would appreciate your feedback after reviewing my profile.

1. Demographics:
White Male age 28, first one in family to graduate college

2. Education:
BS from top 25 state school in Finance, GPA 3.35. Worked nearly fulltime while going to school. Member of Foreign Language Honor Society and was a tutor for the school of engineering (I was an engineering major for 3 yrs.) Self financed 100% of education

3. GMAT: Have taken practice tests that have been in the low 700's 700-720

4. Work Experience:
I worked for three years in Private Wealth Management at Citigroup and am now working for an IB and work exclusively with the firms private equity clients.

5. Extracurricular:
I served a two year mission for my church in South America where I lead a group of 200 other volunteers. My experiences there were split between religous duties, community reconstruction projects, and community outreach projects. I was asked by the president of the university to help develop a leadership development course.

6. Why MBA:
I feel that it is essential for my long term career goals to have the education, and network that an MBA provides. And it would be almost impossible to get where I want to go without it.

7. Post MBA Goals:
I would like to work in the Bay Area for Carlyle, KKR, TPG or Goldman PE.

8. Target Schools:
I love the Wharton/Lauder program and am also targeting Harvard, Stanford, Tuck, UChig., Yale, Columbia and Northwestern.

9. Weaknesses:
1) Even though I haven't taken it yet I really feel that with my profile I need 730 plus on the GMAT
2) Decent GPA from a decent school

10. Questions
1) If I want to work in the Bay Area how important is it to go to school out west to be closer to my targeted companies?
2) What are my chances at H/S/W, Tuck, U of C, Columbia and Northwestern?
3) Are there other schools that I should consider that would allow me to get to where I want to be post MBA?
4) How could I strengthen my profile?

I appreciate your consideration
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2007, 19:19
Not the expert here, so Paul will of course analyze your profile... but why not Berkeley as an option as well? It is a great school, AND in the Bay Area.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 0

Re: Hoping to land at a top school [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2007, 15:06
az2hot wrote:
I would appreciate your feedback after reviewing my profile.

1. Demographics:
White Male age 28, first one in family to graduate college

2. Education:
BS from top 25 state school in Finance, GPA 3.35. Worked nearly fulltime while going to school. Member of Foreign Language Honor Society and was a tutor for the school of engineering (I was an engineering major for 3 yrs.) Self financed 100% of education

3. GMAT: Have taken practice tests that have been in the low 700's 700-720

4. Work Experience:
I worked for three years in Private Wealth Management at Citigroup and am now working for an IB and work exclusively with the firms private equity clients.

5. Extracurricular:
I served a two year mission for my church in South America where I lead a group of 200 other volunteers. My experiences there were split between religous duties, community reconstruction projects, and community outreach projects. I was asked by the president of the university to help develop a leadership development course.

6. Why MBA:
I feel that it is essential for my long term career goals to have the education, and network that an MBA provides. And it would be almost impossible to get where I want to go without it.

7. Post MBA Goals:
I would like to work in the Bay Area for Carlyle, KKR, TPG or Goldman PE.

8. Target Schools:
I love the Wharton/Lauder program and am also targeting Harvard, Stanford, Tuck, UChig., Yale, Columbia and Northwestern.

9. Weaknesses:
1) Even though I haven't taken it yet I really feel that with my profile I need 730 plus on the GMAT
2) Decent GPA from a decent school

10. Questions
1) If I want to work in the Bay Area how important is it to go to school out west to be closer to my targeted companies?
2) What are my chances at H/S/W, Tuck, U of C, Columbia and Northwestern?
3) Are there other schools that I should consider that would allow me to get to where I want to be post MBA?
4) How could I strengthen my profile?

I appreciate your consideration

az2hot,

Sorry the delayed response; I've been on the road, and Internet access has been spotty. To your questions:
1. Well, an MBA from Haas or Stanford would be ideal for a Bay area job, but an MBA from any elite MBA would probably work just as well. It's when you start to get into the not-quite-ultra-elite category, like Michigan or Yale or Duke, that IMO a Haas/Stanford MBA would be preferable to non-Bay Area top-ranked MBA.
2. You seem to have a strong profile if not a terribly unusual one (with the exception of the church experience), and that lack of distinctiveness may hurt your odds at HBS and Stanford. I would not discourage you from applying there, however. Your odds are somewhat better at Wharton, Tuck, Kellogg, CBS, and Chicago, with Wharton and Chicago perhaps your best bets.
3. Consider Stern, MIT, and Haas.
4. Get a current high-impact leadership position in a community organization, and as much new responsibility and impact stories as you can at work.

Good luck.

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Thank you [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2007, 11:49
Paul,

Thanks for your response. I appreciate your insight into what schools would be most appropriate for a job in the Bay Area. I am planning on looking further into Haas and MIT. I agree with your points on what would make me a more compelling cadidate at the top schools and plan on working on some of my weaknesses. Thanks again.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 0

Re: Thank you [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2007, 19:15
az2hot wrote:
Paul,

Thanks for your response. I appreciate your insight into what schools would be most appropriate for a job in the Bay Area. I am planning on looking further into Haas and MIT. I agree with your points on what would make me a more compelling cadidate at the top schools and plan on working on some of my weaknesses. Thanks again.

You're welcome and good luck.

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter