Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 20:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Horror of Horrors ...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Horror of Horrors ... [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2006, 05:13
Guys, my test is in 16 hours time. and I spent the last 12 hours searching for my passport. I've looked everywhere, roped in the family, and still to no avail.

I called Pearson in Singapore (where i'm taking the GMAT), and explained my plight, asking for an exception, to identify myself with a photo ID such as my driver's licence or my national registration identity card, which bears all the necessary information, save for the signature.

The lady politely informed me of their strict regulations, and that in Singapore, only a passport is acceptable. She advised me to call the pacific hq in australia and talk to the people there. And I did just that.

They too held their ground that the passport is THE only means to ID myself to Pearson. I asked for them to let me take the test, and hold back my scores or whatever necessary, and only release it when I got my passport replaced. But I begged to be allowed to take the test tomorrow. They refused. this was at about 3pm.

I then rushed down to the Immigration and Checkpoints authority, the guys that issue passports here, and pleaded to get my passport replaced right away. They explained that they were switching to a biometric passport and it was not possible to get it to me within that time.

They could however, offer me a Document of Identity, which is an official document endorsed by the Singapore Government, clearly stating the 4 requirements for identification as described (Name in roman characters, Date of Birth, Signature, and Photograph). It is a document that allows me free movement between countries (ie. airport customs authorities will honour this document in lieu of my passport). And when I called Pearson in singapore, they still held their ground that it is not a passport.

Only chance now is to wait till australia wakes up tomorrow, and I try to get Pacific HQ to give me this exception. I'm gonna try calling the US HQ too in about an hour to see if I can get any help on this.

The customs officer was also dumfounded. He said that that piece of paper (the document of identity) is a Singapore Government endorsed document, that formally affirms my identity. And he thought it was strange that a test centre would not accept it as a form of identification.

Feel incredibly frustrated and exhausted. I've put in quite a bit to make sure I do this test once, and do it right. I just find it so frustrating that pearson has such a ridiculously strict approach towards exam administration.

I just can't believe it ....
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2006, 16:14
oh God....height of frustration. did you made it?
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2006, 18:54
Thankfully, Pearson HQ in the US was very helpful. Initially they still disallowed my admission because of the absence of the passport. However, they did make a concerted effort to understand my situation. And after a very length conversation and explanation to the validity of the documents that I could present to them, they told me that it was acceptable.

The basis was that I could present 4 different official documents to validate my identity.

When I turned up at Pearson in Singapore, after having gotten my document of identity, they still had received no news from Pearson in the US, but allowed me to take the test on the basis that if Pearson US did not actually allow the documents, my scores would be cancelled.

In fact, I turned up with 5 different documents

1. Document of Identity Isssued in Lieu of the passport - issued by Immigration and Checkpoints Authority, Singapore
2. Statutory Declaration of Loss of Passport - made to Commissioner of Oaths, Singapore
3. National Registration Identity Card - issued by Singapore Government
4. Singapore National Driver's Licence
5. Singapore Armed Forces Identity Card.

I came to them with everything short of a DNA sample. But even if i did, i think they wouldn't have let me in.

Good thing is I got to take the test, but under feeling really tense and tired. But pretty glad its over.

:lol: :?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 255

Kudos [?]: 1545 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2006, 19:42
Well, howd ja do???
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2006, 20:03
I scored a 700 Q47 V40.
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2006, 14:34
Sounds like something ETS/PVue would do. Security is tighter there than it is at the Pentagon. What's next, facial triangulation and DNA swabs between breaks?

Congrats on the great score anyway, considering the circumstances.
  [#permalink] 03 Nov 2006, 14:34