Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 22:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Hospital administrators, facing a shortage of trained

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Hospital administrators, facing a shortage of trained [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2008, 01:47
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Hospital administrators, facing a shortage of trained nursesw, are considering two possible solutions: either give some of the work previously done by nurses to paramedics or else raise the salaries now paid to nurses.Which of the following can be most reliably inferred from the above information?
(A) Raising their salraies will increase the supply of nurses
(B) Nurses are generally opposed to haveing some of their duties reassigned to paramedics
(C) The shortage of nurses will cause hospitals to increase costs
(D) Paramedics would be just as competent as nurses in doing most of the work now being done by nurses
(E) If some of the work now assigned to nurses was reassigned to paramedics, the nurses wold have more time to attend to patients

Source : - http://www.urch.com/forums/gmat-critica ... rd-cr.html

The reason why i am posting this here is that there seems to be some contreversy over what is the correct answer for this one.

My pick for this one is D. would appreciate if u guys can post u r thoughts on this

Many thanks

The world is continuous, but the mind is discrete

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [2] , given: 0

Re: CR Question [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2008, 14:32
This post received
KUDOS
Here we are asked what can be inferred:

Hospital administrators, facing a shortage of trained nursesw, are considering two possible solutions: either give some of the work previously done by nurses to paramedics or else raise the salaries now paid to nurses.Which of the following can be most reliably inferred from the above information?
Yes! Otherwise, this measure would not be effective if the administrators want to attract trained nurses to te Hospital.
(B) Nurses are generally opposed to haveing some of their duties reassigned to paramedics
If this were true, some nurses could leave the hospital if the administration took this measure. So, it can't be inferred
The statement says nothing about raising costs
(D) Paramedics would be just as competent as nurses in doing most of the work now being done by nurses
Not necessarily. They can be more competent!
(E) If some of the work now assigned to nurses was reassigned to paramedics, the nurses wold have more time to attend to patients
The question here is the shortage of nurses, not the time they spend to attend patients.

So, I think the answer should be A
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 275 [1] , given: 1

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: CR Question [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2008, 02:43
This post received
KUDOS
E for me,

D seems an assumption answer, not the reference answer!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Question [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2008, 03:39
This post received
KUDOS
vdhawan1 wrote:

I came down to A and D. I guess the problem with D is the word "Most" in the argument they mention that "Some" of the work can be given to paramedics....Hence A is the only one that can be logically inferred from the passage.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Question [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2008, 03:57
This post received
KUDOS
E
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 357

Kudos [?]: 1754 [1] , given: 358

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: CR Question [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2008, 12:24
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Guys, try to see this question in other way:

What is the answer that must be true? Can we face unconditional contradiction if we try to deny our options?
I'm not sure but only A seems to pass this scrutiny.

Deny:

A): Raising their salaries will not increase the supply of nurses - direct contradiction with the argument and no rooms for any small possibility. Hospital administrators could not be considering this one as a possible solution, but they are doing so.

D) Paramedics would be not just as competent as nurses - but they could be after training.

E) If some of the work now assigned to nurses was reassigned to paramedics, the nurses wold have no additional time to attend to patients. - But maybe assignment of other nurses' work would lead to more time for nurses.

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 186 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Question [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2008, 13:22
This post received
KUDOS
vdhawan1 wrote:

The reason why i am posting this here is that there seems to be some contreversy over what is the correct answer for this one.

My pick for this one is D. would appreciate if u guys can post u r thoughts on this

Many thanks

No way the answer should be A.

E would be best. There is nothing that indicates more nurses would be hired.

One could argue that there is nothing indicating that nurses would work more, but work better in the case for E... or argue for A.

I vote this as a dud question really. B/c the stem is not very clear: are we talking about Nurses salaries in general or just the salaries of the nurses currently working?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: CR Question [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2008, 14:39
This post received
KUDOS
I do think answer is A.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 100 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Question [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2008, 14:42
This post received
KUDOS
vdhawan1 wrote:

I actually picked A, and I will explain how I got it.
I think everyone agrees that B and C are out.

The argument states that we can solve nurse shortage problem by
1) Raised salary
2) Give nurses' work to paramedics.

I didn't pick D because the argument is about solution that can be implemented NOW. Therefore, it is unknown whether the solution will work in the future. D has gone too far.

I didn't pick E for a different reason. It may be true that more time for nurse = more time to attend patients, but does this relate any information to "solving the shortage problem" the author is talking about? NO. I do not see E as being related to the argument at all. "Solving shortage of trained nurse" DOES NOT equate "nurse has more time to attend patients".

A is best in my opinion. Because the author believes that raising salary will solve shortage problem, it can be inferred that raising salary will bring more supply.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 158 [1] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Question [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2008, 20:28
This post received
KUDOS
how is A the correct choice? i mean how can it raise the supply??..maybe it will stop the loss of nurses..
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Chicago R2

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 0

Re: CR Question [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2008, 09:24
This post received
KUDOS
A for me. No evidence that paramedics are competent that moment but administrators do believe that salary upgrade would force nurses to seek an employment in the hospital.
That's why administrators consider the choices.
If I were administrator of that hospital I'd choose the pretty nurses as a part of therapy :wink:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: CR Question [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2008, 03:40
This post received
KUDOS
E.
We dont know if paramedics are able to do nurses work.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 0

Re: CR Question [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2008, 04:45
This post received
KUDOS
I will go with E.

As far as A is concerned i think raising salary may or may not increase the supply of trained nurses since we can't say from passage that 'Salary' is the only constraint , shortage may be across overall hospital sector or people do not like to take a job of nursing for other reasons.

Last edited by diehard4 on 12 Jun 2008, 08:12, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Question [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2008, 03:05
sondenso wrote:
E for me,

D seems an assumption answer, not the reference answer!

can u please elaborate u r line of thinking

can we some more thoughts on this one

the OA floating around is A for this one

wonder if its correct

Bsd, walker can u guys share u r opinion on this

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Question [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2008, 03:44
spider wrote:
vdhawan1 wrote:

I came down to A and D. I guess the problem with D is the word "Most" in the argument they mention that "Some" of the work can be given to paramedics....Hence A is the only one that can be logically inferred from the passage.

But some how i cant logically seem to infer facts of statement A

Am i missing something on this

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Question [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2008, 04:05
zoltan wrote:
E

Zoltan wud appreciate if u can explain u r answer

thanks

VP
VP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Question [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2008, 05:30
On the first thought, i find A should be the answer. From the first line, we can infer that the main problem of hospital is shortage of staff. They will find solution to combat this problem. So raising salary will be one way of tackling with shortage of staff. Whts the OA?
vdhawan1 wrote:

Many thanks
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: CR Question [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2008, 12:19
fresinha12 wrote:
how is A the correct choice? i mean how can it raise the supply??..maybe it will stop the loss of nurses..

I think that a better salary can attract new and trained nurses to the Hospital.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Question [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2008, 07:30
Sorry, I was/am busy!

A, It cannot be inferred. We do not know whether the salary increase will increase the supply of nurses. May be, the nurses will work harder for more money. There are several other solutions.
B. Definitely no
C. We do not know this. As it is described in the argument there are two possible solutions.
D. Nobody mentions this in the passage
E. We need to solve the shortage of nurses. It is described in the passage that there are two possible solutions. One is to reassign some jobs to paramedics. Why are we reassigning jobs to paramedics?? To solve the shortage of nurses, therefore the nurses will have more time than before.

E is the correct one, I think.
Re: CR Question   [#permalink] 12 Jun 2008, 07:30