Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 07:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Hospital Death Rates

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 0

Hospital Death Rates [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2005, 14:35
17. Lists of hospitals have been compiled showing which hospitals have patient death rates exceeding the national average. The data have been adjusted to allow for differences in the ages of patients.
Each of the following, if true, provides a good logical ground for hospitals to object to interpreting rank on these lists as one of the indices of the quality of hospital care EXCEPT:

(A) Rank order might indicate insignificant differences, rather than large differences, in numbers of patient deaths.
(B) Hospitals that keep patients longer are likely to have higher death rates than those that discharge patients earlier but do not record deaths of patients at home after discharge.
(C) Patients who are very old on admission to a hospital are less likely than younger patients to survive the same types of illnesses or surgical procedures.
(D) Some hospitals serve a larger proportion of low-income patients, who tend to be more seriously ill when admitted to a hospital.
(E) For-profit hospitals sometimes do not provide intensive-care units and other expensive services for very sick patients but refer or transfer such patients to other hospitals.

Please provide answer and explanations. Thanks !
SVP
SVP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2005, 14:51
tough luck between (A) and (C).

The argument is already taking into consideration the AGE. Then I guess it is (C). In fact (C) does not offer explanation for differences in the death rates at various hospitals. It would have been good if it said that some hospitals admit more older patients than others.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2005, 16:55
Between (A) and (C), I will go for (A).
(C) also gives grounds for objecting.
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2005, 19:50
will choose C

A provides good grounds for objection, as the hospitals could say that small differences in death of patients should not be used for ranking

Whereas C, as the age has already been adjusted for, provides no room for objection
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 0

Answer [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2005, 05:24
OA is C.
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2005, 09:10
jpv wrote:
Between (A) and (C), I will go for (A).
(C) also gives grounds for objecting.

Please refute (A).
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2005, 20:01
(A) Rank order might indicate insignificant differences, rather than large differences, in numbers of patient deaths.
(C) Patients who are very old on admission to a hospital are less likely than younger patients to survive the same types of illnesses or surgical procedures.

We need to find a choice which hospitals cannot use to object the ranking.

A states that hospitals are ranked on insignificant differences - as the average is calculated with the patient deaths acorss all the hospitals, the ones around the average will get affected by hospitals which have patient deaths much higher than the average (I suggest you pick a case of 5 hospitals with a good selection of patient deaths and give it a thought)

jpv: Can you refute C?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2005, 06:47
I was shooting for A
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2005, 09:29
I think C is out of scope
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2005, 09:35
"C" shud be it....the last sentence already states that "The data have been adjusted to allow for differences in the ages of patients"...so hospitals can't use this age argument as an objection.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2005, 09:51
One more for C
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2005, 11:19
i guess A is out of scope.
so what if the ranking system can not significantly show the actual difference in the death rates. in fact the ranking order truly indicates the death rate tuogh not significantly.

C cleary points out a statement on which the hospitals can't object the ranking procedure.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2005, 12:07
I was between A and C and picked C. besides the age factor indicated in the passage, I did not quite understand what A was trying to say. Not sure if this is a rule to follow.

Can someone explain choice A and what it was trying to say.
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2005, 15:04
banerjeea_98 wrote:
"C" shud be it....the last sentence already states that "The data have been adjusted to allow for differences in the ages of patients"...so hospitals can't use this age argument as an objection.

got it.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Hospital Death Rates [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2014, 03:00
I think the answer is C
Re: Hospital Death Rates   [#permalink] 01 Apr 2014, 03:00