Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Jul 2014, 20:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Hotco oil burners, designed to be used in asphalt plants,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 37

Re: Hotco oil burners, designed to be used in asphalt plants, [#permalink] New post 06 May 2013, 12:35
How the hell to answer this when I have no idea what oil burner is and what the whole passage talks about...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 37

Re: Hotco oil burners, designed to be used in asphalt plants, [#permalink] New post 06 May 2013, 20:56
Thanks, the question is not difficult but if you cannot get the passage you stand no chance ;) Sometimes non native speakers have this problem ;))
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Hotco oil burners, designed to be used in asphalt plants, [#permalink] New post 24 May 2013, 18:33
Ivan91 wrote:
How the hell to answer this when I have no idea what oil burner is and what the whole passage talks about...

Hi Ivan,

I know that it's difficult to understand some of the passages - I find that the best way is to not get caught up in the details.

For example in this case just switch it to something else instead of oil burner:

Hyundai will give you a new car - they will not charge you for the car, but instead, they will ask for the price difference between what you spent on gas using your hummer, say 10,000$ (yes those things drink gas) and what you will spend on gas using your hyundai, say 50$. So, if gas prices stay the same, Hyundai will collect about 10k$-5$ from you. However, if gas prices hit the roof... assume a drastic 1000$/L... then your nice cost efficient Hyundai will end up spending a LOT of $$$. In the end it will come out to 5000$ for example. Obviously in this case, Hyundai is collecting less money from you.

I know this is an exaggerated example, but I find it helps to put things in more familiar situations.

Hope that helps.

Mo
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Entrepreneurship
Schools: INSEAD '14
WE: Consulting (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 8

Re: Hotco oil burners, designed to be used in asphalt plants, [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2013, 23:17
Hi,

How will the difference in the prices reduce?
If Clifton spend more on oil in the next two years, then the difference in the amount expended on oil purchases will increase.
I read the stimulus many times and I clearly see that the amount Hotco Oil burners will earn as a payment is the differences in the purchase prices between the two years.

Increase in the price differences = Gain for Hotco...

How can it constitute to be a disadvantage to Hotco? I see the increasing gap to be advantageous to Hotco.

Regards,
Chechaxo

myselfhari wrote:
mun23 wrote:
run4run wrote:
Hotco oil burners, designed to be used in asphalt plants, are so efficient that Hotco will sell one to the Clifton Asphalt plant for no payment other than the cost savings between the total amount the asphalt plant actually paid for oil using its former burner during the last two years and the total amount it will pay for oil using the Hotco burner during the next two years. On installation, the plant will make an estimated payment, which will be adjusted after two years to equal the actual cost savings.

Which of the following, if it occurred, would constitute a disadvantage for Hotco of the plan described above?

A) Another manufacturer’s introduction to the market of a similarly efficient burner
B) The Clifton Asphalt plant’s need for more than one new burner
C) Very poor efficiency in the Clifton Asphalt plant’s old burner
D) A decrease in the demand for asphalt
E) A steady increase in the price of oil beginning soon after the new burner is installed

I am not understanding the content of the argument.Need every answer choice`s explanation

I am giving it a try here to explain this:

Hotco will run into losses if the diference in the amount paid by Clifton asphalt manufacturing company in the last 2 yrs is close enuf to the cost that the compnay will pay in the nex t2 yrs. ok !!
Now lets analyse the answers.

A) Another manufacturer’s introduction to the market of a similarly efficient burner - there is no comparision with other manufacturers. irrelevant. INCORRECT

B) The Clifton Asphalt plant’s need for more than one new burner. - out of scope. INCORRECT

C) Very poor efficiency in the Clifton Asphalt plant’s old burner. - might sound true. but this is a catch. we cannot compare efficiencies of old and new burner.INCORRECT

D) A decrease in the demand for asphalt. - we have no clue what demand of asphalt has to do with oil burners. this is verbal section in gmat not a physics exam in a college. INCORRECT.

E) A steady increase in the price of oil beginning soon after the new burner is installed- If the price of oil increases, the company will have to pay more for its oil in the coming 2 yrs. so the difference in price will reduce and HETCO will receive less in return. - CORRECT.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 10-15-2013
GPA: 3.53

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Re: Hotco oil burners, designed to be used in asphalt plants, [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2013, 22:42
Ivan91 wrote:

you do not really need to know every single term that appear in the argument. All you need to correctly solve 90 percent of CR question is the conclusion.

in this question, the whole argument talks about cost saving, so in order to weaken the argument, the answer choice must attack the argument in that area. and answer choice E is the only one that does that.

لا الله الا الله, محمد رسول الله

You never fail until you stop trying ,,,

Intern
Intern
Schools: INSEAD Jan '14

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 15

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Hotco oil burners, designed to be used in asphalt plants, [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2014, 14:39
Which of the following, if it occurred, would constitute a disadvantage for Hotco of the plan described above?
Summary: Hotco pricing plan is Price of oil * oil used (In older plants) - Price of oil * oil used (in Hotco's plants)

A) Another manufacturer’s introduction to the market of a similarly efficient burner
Effect on Hotco business = yes
Effect on Hotco plans to profit from its efficient plants = No

B) The Clifton Asphalt plant’s need for more than one new burner
If the extra burner replaces another old plant = more money for Hotco
If the extra burner replaces no another plant = more money for Hotco

C) Very poor efficiency in the Clifton Asphalt plant’s old burner
As per summary equation above, this makes more money for Hotco (Greater previous cost)

D) A decrease in the demand for asphalt
As per summary equation above, this makes more money for Hotco (Lower current cost)

E) A steady increase in the price of oil beginning soon after the new burner is installed
As per summary equation above, this could make the equation become negative, i.e. Hotco lose money in this pricing plan. This is the only answer that shows disadvantage of the plan. Answer is therefore (E)
Re: Hotco oil burners, designed to be used in asphalt plants,   [#permalink] 02 Jun 2014, 14:39