Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 13:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Hotel bookings in Miami are only done through travel

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 08-30-2012
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 15

Hotel bookings in Miami are only done through travel [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2012, 02:13
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

66% (02:28) correct 34% (01:44) wrong based on 224 sessions
Hotel bookings in Miami are only done through travel websites. In 2011, there were
50,000 fewer hotel room night bookings then there were in 2010. Hotel owners are
blaming the apartment renting service by new website Miami@50 that not only sells
hotel room bookings at bargain prices but also allows people to rent out their houses.
The website owners dispute the charge stating that they only rented out only 8,000
apartments through their website. They claim that the down economy and not their
website is responsible for majority of the decline in hotel room bookings.

Which of the following if true most seriously weakens the Miami@50 owners claim?
A. Miami@50 rents apartments at a much lower price then it rents hotel rooms.
B. Miami@50 rented out at least 8 times as many hotel room nights bookings as
apartments.
C. Most apartments in that Miami@50 rented out were rented out multiple times.
D. Miami@50’s profit from renting out apartments was higher than it was for renting
out hotel rooms.
E. Most of Miami@50’s customers preferred renting an apartment to renting a hotel
room

I could not figure out the official ans well. So Please explain ur logic for rejecting other choice and also explain answer choice weekened it ....
Thanks in advance
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

KUMAR GAURAB
GET MAD ABOUT TEST

5 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 103 [5] , given: 32

Re: Casual Passage CR [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2012, 02:42
This post received
KUDOS
grbjha wrote:
Hotel bookings in Miami are only done through travel websites. In 2011, there were
50,000 fewer hotel room night bookings then there were in 2010. Hotel owners are
blaming the apartment renting service by new website Miami@50 that not only sells
hotel room bookings at bargain prices but also allows people to rent out their houses.
The website owners dispute the charge stating that they only rented out only 8,000
apartments through their website. They claim that the down economy and not their
website is responsible for majority of the decline in hotel room bookings.

Which of the following if true most seriously weakens the Miami@50 owners claim?
apartments.
D. Miami@50’s profit from renting out apartments was higher than it was for renting
out hotel rooms.
E. Most of Miami@50’s customers preferred renting an apartment to renting a hotel
room

I could not figure out the official ans well. So Please explain ur logic for rejecting other choice and also explain answer choice weekened it ....
Thanks in advance

hey - this question is based scope shift between the 2 arguments made by the web-site manager and hotel owner.
Hotel owner is talking about number of hotel room bookings, while the website manager claims about number of apartments rented out.
facts given by hotel M are
2010 - 150000 bookings
2011 - 100000 bookings
so 50,000 fewer bookings but web-site managers says only 8000 apartments were rented, hence its not his website but someother factors that accounts for the fewer bookings.
To weaken this argument we have to say that 8000 apartments rented accounts for 50000 fewer bookings.
That's exactly what C does, Most apartments in that Miami@50 rented out were rented out multiple times.
Let say each apartment were rented out 6 times so approx 50,0000 apartments are rented out, which could account for the fewer bookings hence the argument is weakened.

Rational for killing the other options are mentioned in boldface.

Price is out of scope, we are talking about numbers of bookings.

apartments.
This strengthens the argument by saying that some other factors accounts for the fewer booking as web-site made more room bookings

PERFECT

out hotel rooms.
Profits are out of scope, we are talking about numbers of bookings.

room
This is close but not good enough weakener as even some customers could account for 50,000 room bookings. this is neutral statement.

Kudos if my posts helped.

Cheers
SVP
SVP
Followers: 279

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Hotel bookings in Miami are only done through travel [#permalink] New post 03 May 2014, 15:55
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

CAT Tests
Re: Hotel bookings in Miami are only done through travel [#permalink] New post 04 May 2014, 02:51
can anyone tell me were`nt hotel rooms rented multiple times too ( considering option c) also if prices less people will prefer that option , a seems better ?? or where i am going wrong
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1299

Kudos [?]: 3677 [0], given: 185

Re: Hotel bookings in Miami are only done through travel [#permalink] New post 07 May 2014, 07:47
Expert's post
manishgmat1 wrote:
can anyone tell me were`nt hotel rooms rented multiple times too ( considering option c) also if prices less people will prefer that option , a seems better ?? or where i am going wrong

Hi Manish,

Have you noticed that the passage clearly mentions hotel room night bookings, which means it’s counting all the nights the hotel rooms were booked? So, even if hotel rooms were booked multiple times, the passage is already taking that into account. However, in case of apartments, it’s only counting the no. of apartments booked and not apartment room nights.

That’s why, when option C provides information that these apartments were booked multiple times, we know that the actual apartment nights could be much higher than 8000. Such a high no. of apartment night bookings can act as a possible reason behind 50,000 fewer hotel room night bookings. This decreases our belief in the owner’s conclusion that Miami@50 wasn’t responsible for the decline in hotel room night bookings. This makes C a weakener.

Now let’s look at option A.

This option isn’t correct because it provides a possible reason why customers would’ve chosen apartments over hotel rooms. But we are not even interested in knowing ‘why.’ So any reason provided here is irrelevant. We just want to know whether customers chose apartments over hotel rooms and A doesn’t provide that information. That’s why A is not a weakener here.

Hope that clears your doubt.

Regards,
Prashant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Re: Hotel bookings in Miami are only done through travel   [#permalink] 07 May 2014, 07:47