Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 16:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Hotel Mgt+IT Outsourcing Exp - Request Quick Assessment

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: MIT Sloan Fellows (Admit)
WE 1: 5 Yrs - Global Outsoucing Operations
WE 2: 5.5 Yrs - Hospitality
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 6

Hotel Mgt+IT Outsourcing Exp - Request Quick Assessment [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2010, 13:13
hi alex,
appreciate all your responses on this forum. really helpful.

Here is my profile:

Education/Work Ex:
~3 Yrs Full Diploma in Hotel Mgt - 68% marks

~Total Work Ex (as on date) - 9 yrs, 6 months

1st Job:
~Started of as a Mgt Trainee with a 5 Star Hotel Chain in India. Worked for 5.5 yrs and got 4 promotions during this time. Last assignment Head of Dept of Front Office (Associate Director-Rooms)
~Several commendations during the above tenure. High performer

2nd Job:
~Post 5.5 yrs exp in Hotels, I moved to Outsourcing industry with India's top IT company as I wanted to try something new and as age was on my side I could make that switch.
~completed 4 yrs with this firm. so in my 2nd job.
~Currently I run Order Mgt/Supply Chain operations for a Fortune 500 networking firm. I hold a Manager's position.
~Handle a team of 120+ people across India, China, Mexico, Brno. Strong project management, operations skills
~High performer awardee for 2 years in a row.
~60% responsibility towards Operations, rest 40% towards Business Development for BPO.
~Within Supply Chain i am working for an emerging field called Reverse Logistics for my client. This is really coming up within the SCM space.
~Ability to work in a multicultural environment. Multiple start ups/launches of best practices.
~Lastly, though I work for an IT firm, I am not a techie as most people from India are.

Others:
~Being from an army background, I have been a sportsperson throughout. Several awards at school level.
~Extra curriculars included debates, dramatics, Master of Ceremonies etc.
~Sponsored a child's through one of the NGOs
~Planning to start my charity service in my city
~I plan to visit in Brno for 2 months in Mar, Apr. I am going to work with a charity organisation there as well during weekends.

The question is :
1) considering my profile (exp of 2 different industries etc.) what should be a minimum score which could get me through a top 20 college in EU/US. I am not looking for an avrg score but the minimum score.
2) though i have read in a lot of forums that selection in last deadlines is difficult, do you think it makes sense for me to give it a shot during the mar/apr deadlines of some schools.

I am also clear as to why I wanna do MBA now.
Would appreciate your expert opinion.

VA
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 527 [0], given: 0

Re: Hotel Mgt+IT Outsourcing Exp - Request Quick Assessment [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2010, 23:47
As I mentioned in an earlier thread to another person - you're late to the game if you're applying for this year (Fall 2010 entry).

As for the GMAT, realistically you need at a least 700 or greater for the US top 16 and INSEAD/LBS. For schools outside of this, high 600s (say, 670+). In any case, the GMAT beyond a certain threshhold won't really dictate where you'll be competitive. My hunch is that even with a 700 or greater, you'll be a stretch at the US top16 and INSEAD/LBS -- so choose maybe 1-2 from this list. Schools outside the top 16 but within the top 30 or so are where you should focus -- in the US, that would be USC, UNC, Texas, Georgetown, Vandy, Indiana, Rochester, Maryland, Emory, CMU, etc. In Europe, it's schools like Oxford, Cambridge, IE, ESADE, IESE, and so forth. And all of this assumes you're applying in Rounds 1 or 2 - not this late in the game.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Intern
Intern
Schools: MIT Sloan Fellows (Admit)
WE 1: 5 Yrs - Global Outsoucing Operations
WE 2: 5.5 Yrs - Hospitality
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 6

Re: Hotel Mgt+IT Outsourcing Exp - Request Quick Assessment [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2010, 05:54
AlexMBAApply wrote:
As I mentioned in an earlier thread to another person - you're late to the game if you're applying for this year (Fall 2010 entry).

As for the GMAT, realistically you need at a least 700 or greater for the US top 16 and INSEAD/LBS. For schools outside of this, high 600s (say, 670+). In any case, the GMAT beyond a certain threshhold won't really dictate where you'll be competitive. My hunch is that even with a 700 or greater, you'll be a stretch at the US top16 and INSEAD/LBS -- so choose maybe 1-2 from this list. Schools outside the top 16 but within the top 30 or so are where you should focus -- in the US, that would be USC, UNC, Texas, Georgetown, Vandy, Indiana, Rochester, Maryland, Emory, CMU, etc. In Europe, it's schools like Oxford, Cambridge, IE, ESADE, IESE, and so forth. And all of this assumes you're applying in Rounds 1 or 2 - not this late in the game.

Thanks Alex for ur response. Could you clarify as to why you think my candidature will be a stretch in the top 16 schools.? I was under the impression that by having experience in two different industries (hospitality+IT) it gives me a slight edge compared to someone who has experience in one field. Also i thought my career has been progressive and the role/resp have really changed over a period of time. Sorry if i am not reading something here. Would request some more inputs.Thanks.
Re: Hotel Mgt+IT Outsourcing Exp - Request Quick Assessment   [#permalink] 02 Feb 2010, 05:54