Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 11:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Houses built during the last ten years have been found to

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Schools: Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 4

Houses built during the last ten years have been found to [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2006, 07:14
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (02:58) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 3 sessions
Houses built during the last ten years have been found to contain indoor air pollution at levels that are, on average, much higher than the levels found in older houses. The reason air-pollution levels are higher in the newer houses is that many such houses are built near the sites of old waste dumps or where automobile emissions are heavy.
Which of the following, if true, calls into question the explanation above?
(A) Many new houses are built with air-filtration systems that remove from the house pollutants that are generated indoors.
(B) The easing of standards for smokestack emissions has led to an increase in air-pollution levels in homes.
(C) New houses built in secluded rural areas are relatively free of air pollutants.
(D) Warm-weather conditions tend to slow down the movement of air, thus keeping pollution trapped near its source.
(E) Pressboard, an inexpensive new plywood substitute now often used in the construction of houses, emits the pollutant formaldehyde into the house.
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2006, 07:16
E for me

Thus you have to negate the fact that pollution comes from cars and dumps nearby.....
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2006, 08:57
Yes E for me too.
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2006, 15:29
another E
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2006, 15:50
E
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2006, 18:21
Argument's explanation says indor pollution is caused by an outdoor source. Choice E, however, proposes a counter explanation which says indoor pollutions are actually caused by an indoor source - inexpensive new plywood substitute that emits the pollutants into the house.

"Education is what remains when one has forgotten everything he learned in school."

VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2006, 19:20
E it is.
B is a trap. It explains why pollution would have increased in ALL homes, not in just the NEW homes.
Director
Director
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Schools: Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 4

[#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2006, 01:29
kripalkavi wrote:
E it is.
B is a trap. It explains why pollution would have increased in ALL homes, not in just the NEW homes.

Thanks. OA is E.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2006, 16:51
E from me...
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2007, 03:02
I picked B but E is the OA. So, I leave these comments for the next person who chooses B and can not find a way to elliminate it: B does not do the discrimination required between new and old houses.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 7

Re: [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2013, 00:47
asaf wrote:
I picked B but E is the OA. So, I leave these comments for the next person who chooses B and can not find a way to elliminate it: B does not do the discrimination required between new and old houses.

Since B will increase pollution in both newer and older houses doesn't give a reason as to why newer houses are more polluted ...
Re:   [#permalink] 27 Jan 2013, 00:47