Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 16:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Housing Hell

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
SVP
SVP
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 2

Housing Hell [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2007, 18:55
So you guys won't believe what we just went through. We left Ithaca to drive to Durham early on Tuesday evening. The drive kinda sucked, but we got to Durham in mostly one piece about an hour before our closing. When we met the agent to do the walk-through, it turns out there were a few issues....

The worst of it was that the house was purchased and rehabbed in the 90s as part of a redevelopment effort spearheaded by the city and by Self Help Credit Union. As a means of keeping the house affordable, deed restrictions were placed on the property and weren't supposed to expire until 2013: the home needs to be owner-occupied, purchased by someone whose income is less than 80% of the area median, and must be sold within a pricing structure established by the city.

Well, this house was foreclosed on in 2003 by Self Help, and they thought the foreclosure cancelled the restrictions, so they didn't disclose any of this to us. It was our attorney who discovered these restrictions during the title search. And even if we had wanted to live with them, the sale may not be kosher as our income was over 80% when we went under contract (but isn't now as I left my job a week ago), and Self Help had no idea if the sale price was within the city's pricing structure.

So we were supposed to close on Wednesday, but instead got stuck at the Red Roof, waiting for everything to work out. Our lawyer, plus the two realtors, Self Help, and some folks at the city were all busting butt to get the legalese in order and get all of those restrictions canceled.

We spent three nights at the Red Roof, which at least Self Help is going to pay for. The woman who was doing the closing was pushed out of the deal and her supervisor ended up dealing with it. Penske gets props for giving us a free additional day of truck rental.

We heard all the paperwork went through and unloaded the truck late Friday afternoon and spent the last two days getting settled.

What a mess! But my attorney certainly earned his $500. (there was also an issue with the last 10' that was supposed to be our property but now isn't and whatever; that was resolved fairly easily and paled in comparison to the rest of it.)

May you all have saner moving experiences than I did.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 426 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2007, 19:07
$500? Where did you hire your attorney, Sears? :lol:

Anyhow, congratulations on moving into the new place. It's really the fault of the selling agent for not knowing encumberances of the property. I'd say sue the pants off her, but since you everntually got the house the only thing you could really recover is your damages (and pain and suffering :) ) during those 3 days.
SVP
SVP

[#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2007, 19:12
pelihu wrote:
$500? Where did you hire your attorney, Sears? :lol:

Anyhow, congratulations on moving into the new place. It's really the fault of the selling agent for not knowing encumberances of the property. I'd say sue the pants off her, but since you everntually got the house the only thing you could really recover is your damages (and pain and suffering :) ) during those 3 days.

Well, some good things come with living in the south! I couldn't believe it - even Ithaca is a whole lot more. And he really took care of us.

I'm just not a litigious gal, Peli. It ain't in me. But I did consider asking them for a few favors....I would say it's less the selling agent's fault and more the fault of the seller. Self Help really thought that the foreclosure canceled the restrictions, though the language clearly is that the restrictions are suspended during foreclosure (and therefore reinstated afterward). Self Help just didn't get it.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2007, 09:44
hey AA

good to hear that you are settled in. Too bad you won't be in ithaca when I move in this weekend :( I was hoping u'd show me around town and hook me up with some locals.

Will you come back to visit? Is your house sold and everything done?
SVP
SVP

[#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2007, 09:58
House is sold.

I will totally come to visit. First weekend in October (or maybe it's the second?) I've got a wedding in the area. Maybe I will host a happy hour.
  [#permalink] 30 Jul 2007, 09:58