Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 19:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Housing is one of the most effective ways to stimulate the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 232 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Housing is one of the most effective ways to stimulate the [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2012, 02:25
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

90% (02:01) correct 10% (01:54) wrong based on 58 sessions
Housing is one of the most effective ways to stimulate the economy. To stimulate housing, the Federal Reserve
lowered the interest rates for mortgages with the aim of making mortgages more affordable. While this stimulus
did lead to increased housing purchases initially, it eventually led to home price inflation, making homes quite
unaffordable for first time buyers.

Which of the following conclusions about first time buyers is best supported by the passage?

A: The stimulus did not improve the economic condition of most first time home buyers enough to absorb the rise
in home prices
B: Apartment prices went up due to increasing demand from first time home buyers
C: Other than first time home buyers, all other buyers in the housing market were able to make use of the low
income rates and purchase houses at a price lower than they would have paid had the stimulus not been put
into effect.
D: More and more college students started living with their parents longer
E: more and more jobs were created due to the stimulus

OA after discussion.

KUDOS me if you feel my contribution has helped you.

Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 627 [0], given: 116

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Housing is one of the most effective [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2012, 02:32
Torn between A and B. Will go with A for being milder.

Kudos please... If my post helped.

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 600 Q49 V22
GMAT 3: 640 Q47 V31
GMAT 4: 620 Q48 V27
GMAT 5: 660 Q50 V28
WE: Design (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Re: Housing is one of the most effective [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2012, 05:23
The Ans is 'B'.

'A' is wrong because, we are not concerned about the economic condition of the first time home buyers. & the use of 'most' is incorrect.

I won't choose 'C' because it doesn't explain how the homes became unaffordable for the first time home buyers.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Housing is one of the most effective [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2012, 10:05
C says other home buyers took advantage of the low interest rates, making the home prices
very expensive and probably out of reach for first time buyers.

Is this explanation not reasonable to have affected first time buyers?

Intern
Intern
GPA: 2.8

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Housing is one of the most effective [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2012, 12:06
I would go with A.
B looks to me Out of Scope.

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.

Push +1 kudos button please, if you like my post.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 8

Reviews Badge
Re: Housing is one of the most effective [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2012, 22:22
This post received
KUDOS
I felt like a girl changing my mind on this one switching between A and B but finally resorted to ==[A]==:

A: The stimulus did not improve the economic condition of most first time home buyers enough to absorb the rise
in home prices.
---> This seems to be somewhat directly supported by the argument. The way I interpret it is that the relief was temporary and as it was taken into advantage by the fresh buyers, sellers got smarter about it and raised housing prices. My reasoning here is analogous to a conclusion I'd make for a "will the plan succeed" CR type question, where a temporary fix is no permanent fix. In this question, since the positive effect was only temporary, the goal is not achieved. In short, buyers get hesitent or stop buying, which brings us back to the original problem of small economic growth.

B: Apartment prices went up due to increasing demand from first time home buyers
---> After giving it some deeper though, I think this answer is flawed as it is a possible but not a must be true answer. Since this is a conclusion type question, we're looking to eliminate the "could be true" answers. Apartments are a subset of housing opportunities and although they're likely to go up with the argument in mind, they're not stated explicitly. So, we can't conclude that that only apartments were high in demand to know that their interest lead to their higher price.

C: Other than first time home buyers, all other buyers in the housing market were able to make use of the low income rates and purchase houses at a price lower than they would have paid had the stimulus not been put into effect.
--- Way out of scope. No mention of "other buyers" in text.

--- Out of scope because we don't know that college students necessarily are first time buyers. Even if they were and they went back to their momies the housing inflation may not be the only reason for their decision.

--- Out of scope. This could be true but is not guaranteed (aka directly supported by the argument above).
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 627 [0], given: 116

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Housing is one of the most effective [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2012, 01:55
nemesis23 wrote:
The Ans is 'B'.

'A' is wrong because, we are not concerned about the economic condition of the first time home buyers. & the use of 'most' is incorrect.

I won't choose 'C' because it doesn't explain how the homes became unaffordable for the first time home buyers.

C brings with it a whole barrage of statements that is unwarranted by the argument. There is no support for the facts stated by this option from the argument. So C is just wrong. If the conclusion were choice A and this question were a strengthen if question, then C would make a good answer choice.

Kudos Please... If my post helped.

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, General Management
Schools: Duke '16
WE: General Management (Other)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 54

Re: Housing is one of the most effective [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2012, 03:07
Housing is one of the most effective ways to stimulate the economy. To stimulate housing, the Federal Reserve
lowered the interest rates for mortgages with the aim of making mortgages more affordable. While this stimulus
did lead to increased housing purchases initially, it eventually led to home price inflation, making homes quite

Which of the following conclusions about first time buyers is best supported by the passage?

in home prices
C: Other than first time home buyers, all other buyers in the housing market were able to make use of the low
income rates and purchase houses at a price lower than they would have paid had the stimulus not been put
into effect.

I think the official answer should be A.

I guess E and D can easily be eliminated.

Let us take C. This is, I guess, what we call a shell game. The stimulus talks about interest rate and not "Income rate", as mentioned in this sentence. Use of 'income rate' altogether changes the meaning, hence eliminate C.

B is a good trap. Increasing demand => Rise is apartment prices, ie, home price inflation. This is true. But, first-time home buyers is just a subset of the population that can cause increase in demand. Hence, eliminate it. Remains A.

The stimulus was supposed to revive the economy so that even first time home buyers to afford it. However, due to increased demand shortly after the stimulus, housing prices rose, and the would be first time buyers (who most likely did not have deep pockets), could not afford even the reduced interest rates. Hence, A.

Kudos is the currency of appreciation.

You can have anything you want if you want it badly enough. You can be anything you want to be and do anything you set out to accomplish, if you hold to that desire with the singleness of purpose. ~William Adams

Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close to success they were when they gave up. ~Thomas A. Edison

Wir müssen wissen, Wir werden wissen. (We must know, we will know.) ~Hilbert

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 07-16-2012
GPA: 3.4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 25

Reviews Badge
Re: Housing is one of the most effective [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2012, 03:20
IMO, Answer should be A.

option D and E are clearly out as they are out of scope.

B-> firstly, appartment is the subset of housing market and secondly argument does not support that first time buyers are responsible for increase in prices (actually they are the affected parties). could be true but not must be true
C-> same as b --> may be true.
A-> directly supported by the argument

-------Analyze why option A in SC wrong-------

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Housing is one of the most effective [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2012, 05:05
The general consensus is
[Reveal] Spoiler:
A[/spoiler should be correct;
OA from source is [spoiler=]A

Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
Schools: IIM A '15
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 161 [0], given: 299

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Housing is one of the most effective ways to stimulate the [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2013, 23:06
To Stimulate Economy => Housing => Mortagage rates decrease => Increased house purchases => Increase in Demand => Supply is same => Price rise.

A->Most first time buyers (As stated in last line so they were not in slot of incresed house purchases)
B-> Appartment - housing conflict
C-> Considers all first time buyers in the price rise slot, but some can be in "Increase house purchases" slot , so incorrect.
D-> OOS
E-> OOS

Rgds,
Saurabh

Rgds,
TGC!

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: -25 [2] , given: 1

Re: Housing is one of the most effective ways to stimulate the [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2013, 12:10
This post received
KUDOS

in home prices
into effect.

This is a conclusion question, so the answer should pass the "fact Test".
Housing is one of the most effective ways to stimulate the economy. is author opinion. rest everything the Federal Reserve
is a fact set.

In Conclusion question, it is important to remember that any statement that does not pass the "fact test" will always be wrong.
Never pick a answer that is giving an opinion or suggestion.
Stay very close to the argument. The right answer will always pass the fact test.
Most of the answer options would be "could be true" , it is very important that you identify these choices and what is more important is to answer them directly from what is given in the argument, rather than using your own knowledge to determine the possibility.
lastly remember, we need to prove the Validity not the possibility of a statement.

in home prices ---- If the stimulus made the houses unaffordable for the first time buyers then it can be inferred that before the stimulus it was difficult for first time buyers to afford mortgage and if after elevating the interest rate for the mortgage it became impossible. Then surely The stimulus did not improve the economic condition of most first time home buyers enough to absorb the rise
in home prices

B: Apartment prices went up due to increasing demand from first time home buyers -- The argument does not mention that there was an increase in demand from first time buyer. It only mention that the stimulus made homes unaffordable for first time buyers.
into effect. --- Way too much of an inference, it could be true but the argument does not provide me any information to validate the "other than first time home buyers". It fails the fact test.
D: More and more college students started living with their parents longer --- This again strengthen the argument that there was indeed some problem with the economy. But at the best we do not know anything. Remember we are only looking for something that is mentioned in the argument and which will pass out fact test.
E: more and more jobs were created due to the stimulus ---- Good, it would definitely helps economy. But we are no concerned about what other factors helped to stimulate the economy. Remember in Conclusion question, never pick a choice which makes a suggestion or give an opinion or gives you a another parallel premise. it will strengthen the argument.
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1187

Kudos [?]: 3160 [0], given: 176

Re: Housing is one of the most effective ways to stimulate the [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2013, 19:37
Expert's post
gmatbull wrote:

in home prices
into effect.

OA after discussion.

Hi,

Let's look at the below statement from the passage since this is the statement talking about first time buyers:

"While this stimulus did lead to increased housing purchases initially, it eventually led to home price inflation, making homes quite unaffordable for first time buyers."

It says:
- Stimulus increased housing purchases initially - but this purchases were made by whom? First time buyers or others or both
- it eventually led to home price inflation
- Inflation made homes quite unaffordable for first time buyers - so, first time buyers could not afford the new prices.

Now, let's look at the option statements:

A: The stimulus did not improve the economic condition of most first time home buyers enough to absorb the rise in home prices - This can be inferred from the last line of the passage. Here, presence of "most" in "...most home buyers..." does not make it incorrect since the last line does not say that only a few were not able to afford, it makes a general that the first time buyers could not afford new prices. Let's keep this option and evaluate other options.

B: Apartment prices went up due to increasing demand from first time home buyers - We don't know who made the initial home purchases; whether they were first time buyers or repeat buyers. So, this statement cannot be inferred.

C: Other than first time home buyers, all other buyers in the housing market were able to make use of the low income rates and purchase houses at a price lower than they would have paid had the stimulus not been put into effect. - Can we say "all other buyers were able to make use...". No. This is a very strong statement talking about all other customers. We certainly can't make such a sweeping statement based on the passage.

D: More and more college students started living with their parents longer - Incorrect. Out of Scope.

E: more and more jobs were created due to the stimulus - Incorrect. Out of Scope.

So, after the analysis, we are left with option A only; therefore, it is the correct choice.

Hope this helps :)
-Chiranjeev

Free Webinar: July 26, 2014 - Ace GMAT RC: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to apply the Reading Strategies critical to ace the GMAT Reading Comprehension. Click here to register.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 75

Re: Housing is one of the most effective ways to stimulate the [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2013, 01:36

in home prices
B: Apartment prices went up due to increasing demand from first time home buyers. OFS
into effect. Scope: First time buyers
D: More and more college students started living with their parents longer. OFS. Passage do not mention about College students
E: more and more jobs were created due to the stimulus. OFS. Passage do not mention about jobs

Therefore, IMO A. I guess this question is from OG or Gmatprep.

YOU CAN, IF YOU THINK YOU CAN

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1187

Kudos [?]: 3160 [0], given: 176

Re: Housing is one of the most effective ways to stimulate the [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2013, 07:52
Expert's post
@gmatps24: This question is from our live session question repository. Try the egmat free trial to try more such questions. Click below for the link:

https://e-gmat.com/secure/register_gc.php

Free Webinar: July 26, 2014 - Ace GMAT RC: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to apply the Reading Strategies critical to ace the GMAT Reading Comprehension. Click here to register.

Re: Housing is one of the most effective ways to stimulate the   [#permalink] 22 Feb 2013, 07:52