Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Nov 2014, 06:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How accurate are Manhattan CATs?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

How accurate are Manhattan CATs? [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2007, 07:11
Folks,

I saw an earlier thread regarding the accuracy of GMAT prep CATs.
I'm starting a new thread here for Manhattan fans.

Can everyone pop out with their inputs regarding Manhattan CATs ( those 6 CATs that you get with purchase of any of their books )

Thanks.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2007, 13:59
Thanks for starting this up.. I wanted to find some information on the manhattan gmats as well.. the first two CATs seemed ok but subsequent ones have been a lot harder.. Quant is insanely difficult - it kills confidence.. I think the math challenges from the club are good enough.. i usually do well on them around 90%..
I did well in my first gmatprep (750 V41 Q50), princeton, and after getting around 700 in my first two manhattan I have struggled to hit 600 in 3 & 4.. I know I have gotten better in quant and verbal over this time, but manhattan does not seem to reflect that...
Overall, I think their SC is very good, and CR and RC are decent at best.. quant is confidence killer and many questions take a good 3-4 minutes..

I would recommend them as good practice set of very tough problems but don't read too much in the scores..

What does everyone else think?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 339 [0], given: 14

[#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2007, 22:46
Agree here. Quant was near impossible to do in 2 minutes. Many of them (700-800 level ones) took up to 4 minutes. And for some reason, it gave me nearly ALL 700-800 level questions, even if I missed 3-4 questions in a row.

My score was 720 (Q44, V41), not bad, but definitely worse than the GMATPrep score of 770 (Q50, V44).
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2007, 23:36
I agree, after taking the PR CATs the MGMAT math section was rough. The Qs where difficult from the start, no easy build up as in PR. But I thought the verbal was fine, a bit verbose but easier to manage than the math.
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2007, 03:43
My main question is how accurate is the breakdown on MGMAT CATs. I had 8 wrong answers on quant but still scored a 44.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 339 [0], given: 14

[#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2007, 07:19
From what I read on here, the *score* for Manhatttan CAT is very similar to the real score, even though the Quant is much harder. Someone said add 20-40 pts to your score (the ones after April 2007) and you should have the GMAT score.
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2007, 09:28
Wow, that's good news, I was a bit scared after the first MGMAT test. I actually like that the quant questions are harder...it helps to look at hard bin questions. Also, the breakdown is great, it tells the range for each question, which really helped me to focus on my weak quant areas.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2007, 10:17
I don't think they are very accurate. Their regular test are tough and their cat is too forgiving with wrong answers.

Again, GMATPrep is the most accurate and therefore GOLD. I also thought PR was pretty accurate in terms of scoring, not necessarily content.
VP
VP
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2007, 13:09
I think MGMAT tests are very accurate. It's true that the math section is on a tougher side but the scoring compensates for that. After the change in the scoring algorithm in April, MGMAT tests have a standard error that is very close to the actual GMAT (29 points I believe). This can't get any closer to the real thing!
People who think that getting 8 questions wrong and scoring 44 in math is too high are wrong. I took a GMATPrep test yesterday, and scored a 48 in quant with 11 mistakes. The point is what level are the questions that you are getting wrong.
I took 5 MGMAT CATs and I have to say that they all were very close to my GMATPrep scores. In my opinion, MGMAT is the best predictor of your GMAT score after GMATPrep.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2007, 13:09
Check the discussion board on their website. Usually someone from Manhattan responds to your question. They are pretty honest about their software.. They key difference between Gmatprep and Manhattan is in the later you don't have any "test" questions and all 37 or 41 of a section count towards to your score. You cannot afford to get guess the last few without impacting your score while in Gmatprep you can. Also in the real one the questions are easier in quant and you dont run into the same trouble..
  [#permalink] 17 Jul 2007, 13:09