Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 19:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How accurate is the GMAT-prep software?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 12-01-2011
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

How accurate is the GMAT-prep software? [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2011, 13:01
Hi Everybody!

I am a total rookie here and this issue has most certainly been discussed before, but anyway:

I took the free GMATprep test (the first one) and scored a 640. How well does this software acually reflect what i would (normally) achieve during a real exam? 640 feels like a bit too good to be true for someone who hasn't even started studying to the test and therefor the question arises: is the GMATprep much easier than the real deal or was i just really lucky?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 67 [1] , given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: How accurate is the GMAT-prep software? [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2011, 14:11
This post received
KUDOS
It's very accurate as a baseline predictor. What it can't predict, however, is your level of improvement until you actually start studying. 640 is definitely a great starting score, but you gotta start studying for 3-4 weeks and take more prep tests before you really can get a handle on what to expect on a real test.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT Date: 12-22-2011
GPA: 3.01
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: How accurate is the GMAT-prep software? [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2011, 19:05
yea I was wondering the same thing. The quant seemed too easy to me, the verbal was realistically challenging tho. ended up with 660 and I haven't done any prep.

These questions all have answers

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
WE: General Management (Military & Defense)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Re: How accurate is the GMAT-prep software? [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2011, 15:13
hi, guys. i've been lurking around for several weeks now. first question/post. how do the "review" questions that come with the two free GMATPrep tests compare to the questions within the test? Are they of easy, medium, hard difficulty compared to the questions in the actual practice tests? I ask because I've gone through all of the review questions and finished them without any problems - wondering if i can use this as an indication on how i'd do in the practice tests themselves. thank you very much!

good luck everyone!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: How accurate is the GMAT-prep software? [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2011, 06:59
I think the GMATPrep tests are the most accurate reflection of the actual test. I took one GMATPrep test 3 days before I took the real thing and got the exact same score on both (even the same quant and verbal breakdown). Just my experience though.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V50
GPA: 3.93

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: How accurate is the GMAT-prep software? [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2011, 14:23
Do any experience (or non-experienced haha) GMAT takers have a strong opinion on when the GMATPrep tests should be used? I have just started preparation, and was planning on taking one now to have an accurate gauge of my starting point, and then saving the other for closer to test day. However, there seem to be some people who think that both tests should be saved for near the end of the study period. Anyone have a strong opinion on this either way?
Re: How accurate is the GMAT-prep software?   [#permalink] 20 Oct 2011, 14:23