Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 15:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How analytical do Ad Coms consider UG courses in Sciences

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.72
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

How analytical do Ad Coms consider UG courses in Sciences [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2011, 10:40
Hi all,

Been lurking around here for a really long time. There is just so much information available here that I have never really felt the need to ask anything.

I'm not sure if I can be called a traditional applicant and now as I begin my applications, I have been wondering how Admissions Committee would look at my college degree in Chemistry. May be it's a little too late to take courses in Statistics, Economics and Accounting etc since I intend to put in most of my apps by Round 1. However, any information I may receive here may be helpful in putting my mind at ease.

I have a B. Sc. (3-year equivalent of a BS in the US) in Chemistry from one of the top 3/5 Natural Sciences and Liberal Arts colleges in India. Immediately after obtaining admission here, I also secured admission into the Vocational Biotechnology Program offered by the University (one of the top 3 in India) to which my college is affiliated. This program receives huge grants from the University Grants Commission of India and is a highly selective program. So it was more like a double major for me [my transcripts say "Graduated with distinction in Chemistry (with Voc. Biotechnology)] though Indian universities don't allow a double major. By the end of my third and final year of college, I had studied courses such as Organic Chemistry, Anlytical Chemistry and Biostatistics amongst many others.

Can anyone shed light on whether some of the above courses along with a 750 on the GMAT would be evidence to Ad Coms of my ability to handle the academic rigor of an MBA? Does my undergraduate degree and it's structure merit an explanation in the optional essay? Also, how many people with undergraduate studies in the natural sciences make it to top 10-15 US schools?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 97

Kudos [?]: 399 [0], given: 73

Premium Member
Re: How analytical do Ad Coms consider UG courses in Sciences [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2011, 11:46
I think you're overthinking things. You graduated with distinctions so obviously your GPA is solid. With a 750 GMAT score (heck even with a 700) they will see that you can handle the coursework. The optional essay is for explaining gaps in work history, inconsistent or poor grades, or any serious red flags that might come up (like an arrest or conviction). It can also be used to show anything pertinent an adcom might need to know about you that didn't fit in the required essays (i.e. a particular area of interest or involvement that can add another dimension to who you are as a person). You don't need to "explain away" your undergrad degree. It's all good.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.72
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: How analytical do Ad Coms consider UG courses in Sciences [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2011, 12:56
Thanks for your comments, chaeetarah. Would be great if more people chimed in.

Btw, your blog is good fun to read and your writing is terrific. Excellent post on why you think now is the right time to apply. Good luck with your application to Kellogg.

I'm still curious, though, to know how many applicants from India apply to top 10/15 schools with an undergraduate degree in natural sciences. Any response from alums/current students would be appreciated.
Re: How analytical do Ad Coms consider UG courses in Sciences   [#permalink] 16 Jul 2011, 12:56