Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 11:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How appropriate for me?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: INSEAD, LBS, Oxford SBS,
WE 1: Investment Management
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 5

How appropriate for me? [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2010, 03:30
Hi all,

I've been thinking lately about getting an MBA, but I am torn. Here's my background followed by my dilemma:

I'm 28, but would be 30-31 by the time I finish the MBA IF I do decide to go for one.

Career: I have about 5 years of experience, mostly on the buy-side as an investment analyst and associate portfolio managemer. None of my past employers are "bulge bracket" although some are very big regionally (but not internationally).

My experience includes:
- Canadian, U.S. and a bit of Western European equity and fixed income (but mainly equity). (Montreal based)
- Hedge fund analysis working for a small fund of hedge funds. (Montreal based)
- I have recently moved to the GCC region to work for a local bank as an GCC equity analyst.

Education:
- BComm with major in Finance from a decent University (Canada) - GPA 3.3 (I was working during my whole undergrad at the same time)
- MSc Finance again from a decent university (U.K) - GPA equivalent of 3.8
- CFA Charterholder since 2009

Here's where my dilemma gets into play. I feel that my CV lacks 2 main things:

1. Degree from top institution ( HBS, Stanford, LBS, LSE, INSEAD, etc.)
2. bulge bracket experience (JPM, Goldman, Morgan Stanley, DB, etc.)

I am not looking to change careers. I am very happy on the buy-side and would like to become a portfolio manager (hopefully for a hedge fund). That said, I am also very interesting in PE and would definitely consider joining a PE firm. I am not constrained geographically.

If I undertake an MBA it would only be in a top 10 program.
Assuming I do manage to get in, how helpful would it be for my career considering my previous background/education?
The opportunity cost for me is very very high currently (including 1 or 2 years of lost salary) and that's why I'm hesitating.

If I graduate, I'm not sure if an associate level job on the buy-side would leave better or worse off (even assuming it's in a bulge bracket bank). Do recruiters higher at VP level if the candidate has prior experience?

If I do switch into PE, to what extent would my experience help. Would I still have to start at associate-level?

Any input would be very helpful. Thank you!
VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 201 [0], given: 31

Re: How appropriate for me? [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2010, 06:48
Hdim wrote:
Hi all,

I've been thinking lately about getting an MBA, but I am torn. Here's my background followed by my dilemma:

I'm 28, but would be 30-31 by the time I finish the MBA IF I do decide to go for one.

Career: I have about 5 years of experience, mostly on the buy-side as an investment analyst and associate portfolio managemer. None of my past employers are "bulge bracket" although some are very big regionally (but not internationally).

My experience includes:
- Canadian, U.S. and a bit of Western European equity and fixed income (but mainly equity). (Montreal based)
- Hedge fund analysis working for a small fund of hedge funds. (Montreal based)
- I have recently moved to the GCC region to work for a local bank as an GCC equity analyst.

Education:
- BComm with major in Finance from a decent University (Canada) - GPA 3.3 (I was working during my whole undergrad at the same time)
- MSc Finance again from a decent university (U.K) - GPA equivalent of 3.8
- CFA Charterholder since 2009

Here's where my dilemma gets into play. I feel that my CV lacks 2 main things:

1. Degree from top institution ( HBS, Stanford, LBS, LSE, INSEAD, etc.)
2. bulge bracket experience (JPM, Goldman, Morgan Stanley, DB, etc.)

I am not looking to change careers. I am very happy on the buy-side and would like to become a portfolio manager (hopefully for a hedge fund). That said, I am also very interesting in PE and would definitely consider joining a PE firm. I am not constrained geographically.

If I undertake an MBA it would only be in a top 10 program.
Assuming I do manage to get in, how helpful would it be for my career considering my previous background/education?
The opportunity cost for me is very very high currently (including 1 or 2 years of lost salary) and that's why I'm hesitating.

If I graduate, I'm not sure if an associate level job on the buy-side would leave better or worse off (even assuming it's in a bulge bracket bank). Do recruiters higher at VP level if the candidate has prior experience?

If I do switch into PE, to what extent would my experience help. Would I still have to start at associate-level?

Any input would be very helpful. Thank you!

My suggestion would be to apply at the schools of your choice and then worry about the decision if you get in. Sometimes the world has a funny way of making decisions for us.
Intern
Intern
Schools: INSEAD, LBS, Oxford SBS,
WE 1: Investment Management
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 5

Re: How appropriate for me? [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2010, 07:07
I understand what you're saying and that may very well happen. But I like to get as much input as I can when doing due diligence. Besides, I will have to commit a sizable amount of time to get an appropriate GMAT score.

Just for arguments sake, let's assume that I have been accepted in a top 10 MBA.
VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 201 [0], given: 31

Re: How appropriate for me? [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2010, 07:16
Hdim wrote:
I understand what you're saying and that may very well happen. But I like to get as much input as I can when doing due diligence. Besides, I will have to commit a sizable amount of time to get an appropriate GMAT score.

Just for arguments sake, let's assume that I have been accepted in a top 10 MBA.

Just one man's opinion, but I think you may be better off not getting an MBA, especially with your CFA and your MS Finance. My question to you is: Can you move up with your company so that you get the opportunity to "prove" yourself? If your company is never going to get you the opportunity then perhaps an MBA is right for you. However, if you do think the opportunity to prove yourself exists somewhere down the line then proving yourself is what will establish your "name". Bulge bracket firms don't just hire MBAs. You need to find a way to distinguish yourself and being at a smaller firm might benefit you to stand out in the crowd.
Re: How appropriate for me?   [#permalink] 23 Sep 2010, 07:16