Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Apr 2014, 18:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How are we doing? - complaints most welcome

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 649 [1] , given: 781

How are we doing? - complaints most welcome [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2008, 17:18
This post received
KUDOS
feedback/complaints are welcome. thanks all for being respectful and for helping each other. It will all come back to you ten fold someday. :)
SVP
SVP
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 169 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: How are we doing? - complaints most welcome [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2008, 19:02
This is an absolutely wonderful community. I try to spread the word about it as much as I can, however I cannot help but notice this one thing: it seems like we have far less active participants this year than we did during the application season last year. This could be partially due to the fact that we have only passed Round 1 so far, and all of the Round 2 people have not joined yet.

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 74

Kudos [?]: 689 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: How are we doing? - complaints most welcome [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2008, 19:26
I think you guys actually have more posts than we did at this point last year. A lot of it picked up with interviews and then decisions.

The one thing we definitely did more was chats which are actually really fun.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: How are we doing? - complaints most welcome [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2008, 20:10
Yeah, we had a pretty good chat going last night. 9 or so members consistently for about 2 hours. It was good chatting with you, River.
CEO
CEO

Kudos [?]: 649 [0], given: 781

Re: How are we doing? - complaints most welcome [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2008, 20:46
the chat feature is highly recommended. come in, relax, sit down with your favorite drink and learn from each other.

terp06, you guys are doing great. I am sure others will join us. You also have an excellent group of members who are currently attending b-school.

share what you know, be nice and hope that others do the same - thats all there is to a good community.

more suggestions, feature requests -- any thing you liked in any other forums you frequent. let us know - PMs are just fine.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Haas '15
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.6
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: How are we doing? - complaints most welcome [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2008, 20:52
jb32 wrote:
Yeah, we had a pretty good chat going last night. 9 or so members consistently for about 2 hours. It was good chatting with you, River.

yes, jb and i revealed our true answer to the "why an MBA?" question... he he he ... 8-)
CEO
CEO

Re: How are we doing? - complaints most welcome [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2008, 20:54
TL wrote:
jb32 wrote:

yes, jb and i revealed our true answer to the "why an MBA?" question... he he he ... 8-)

as immortalized in lepium's classic 7 phases --

Quote:
1st shortlist (prior to any research):
a) Money.
b) Success.
c) Beer.
d) Getting my ticket stamped to land an IB job.

2nd shortlist (after some research):
a) Being mother Theresa.
b) Saving humanity.
c) Saving the environment.
d) "Changing the world".
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Haas '15
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.6
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: How are we doing? - complaints most welcome [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2008, 20:57
Praetorian wrote:
TL wrote:
jb32 wrote:

as immortalized in lepium's classic 7 phases --

Quote:
1st shortlist (prior to any research):
a) Money.
b) Success.
c) Beer.
d) Getting my ticket stamped to land an IB job.

2nd shortlist (after some research):
a) Being mother Theresa.
b) Saving humanity.
c) Saving the environment.
d) "Changing the world".

close... ;)
CEO
CEO

Re: How are we doing? - complaints most welcome [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2008, 14:01
so, i got a few pms with some interesting feedback. you can post them here also - dont worry, no one is going to jump on you. :)

some of our best ideas have come from our members, so please let us know how we can improve.

let us know what you think.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 74

Kudos [?]: 689 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: How are we doing? - complaints most welcome [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2008, 16:11
Something we did well last year that was really helpful was keep track of who was applying to each school and their status. We just would start a roll call seeing who applied...you copy the people and then add your name and it built up. That was then put on the front page to keep track. When people got interviews and posted them the front was updated...then repeat that for decisions.

We also kept decisions of all schools in one thread. So you could see how many people applied and what their decisions were to tons of schools at once. Plus you got to see names of people in at every school they applied like nervousgmat.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

VP
VP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 245 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: How are we doing? - complaints most welcome [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2008, 17:36
I love gmatclub ....

It is better than any discussion forum I've ever been on .... And I'm a member on so many forums that I lost count ... I never visit any of them .. But every day I wait to get hands on my PC just to log in to gmatclub ....

It is difficult to think of any feature that is missing .... Yes I did have problem with chat but looks like you guys are working on it ....

I see that there are small new changes happening on the forum.. nice little changes :)

"You have to find it. No one else can find it for you." - Bjorn Borg

Check out my GMAT blog - GMAT Tips and Strategies

Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 72136

Re: How are we doing? - complaints most welcome [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2008, 17:42
I think this community has been great. When I first started last year I was so uneducated about the entire process, but you guys helped me through the dreaded GMATs and now through the entire application process. I definitely would be at a complete loss without this website or this community! (even if I get rejected from everywhere ;-))
SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: How are we doing? - complaints most welcome [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2008, 17:48
Things I like: (there are many, I just picked my top few)
1) Ambassadors threads - good to hear what current students/accepted students have to say about their school of choice
2) Knowledge Vault - handy to find old threads on GPA, school brand, etc.
3) People are nice and helpful. I'm more willing to post questions because I know that no matter how silly, people will answer me nicely (well, they'll politely tell me I'm being silly) instead of with rudeness. Same goes for answers to questions!

Things we could add:
1) I think the chats are pretty great. The one jb and TL referenced was fun and informative. I wonder about scheduled chats? Would people be interested in that?
2) Industry threads - finance and consulting are fairly well represented but what about healthcare, manufacturing, etc etc A thread on each of those describing popular companies that hire there, schools specializing in those areas, etc. I'd love to help start one but I don't have time to do a good job with it :( after apps are in, I definitely will :)
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 22

Re: How are we doing? - complaints most welcome [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2008, 19:26
I don't have a complaint but more of a suggestion. Is it possible to show how many people are in a chat room without having to go inside? That may help encourage or remind users about the chat room feature. Also, it will allow users to know that there is someone in the chat room to chat with or pass time etc.
Thanks 8-)
CEO
CEO

Re: How are we doing? - complaints most welcome [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2008, 22:57
Quote:
I think this community has been great. When I first started last year I was so uneducated about the entire process, but you guys helped me through the dreaded GMATs and now through the entire application process. I definitely would be at a complete loss without this website or this community! (even if I get rejected from everywhere )

Quote:
Things I like: (there are many, I just picked my top few)
1) Ambassadors threads - good to hear what current students/accepted students have to say about their school of choice
2) Knowledge Vault - handy to find old threads on GPA, school brand, etc.
3) People are nice and helpful. I'm more willing to post questions because I know that no matter how silly, people will answer me nicely (well, they'll politely tell me I'm being silly) instead of with rudeness. Same goes for answers to questions!

thanks. good to hear. we are serious about the community thing. :)

Quote:
Things we could add:
1) I think the chats are pretty great. The one jb and TL referenced was fun and informative. I wonder about scheduled chats? Would people be interested in that?
2) Industry threads - finance and consulting are fairly well represented but what about healthcare, manufacturing, etc etc A thread on each of those describing popular companies that hire there, schools specializing in those areas, etc. I'd love to help start one but I don't have time to do a good job with it :( after apps are in, I definitely will :)

[/quote]

1) These chats have worked well in the past. for scheduled chats, post a time that is convenient for you - allow a window of a few hours.
2) this is a tough one. we will have to find someone from industry. have you tried vault?

thanks again.
CEO
CEO

Re: How are we doing? - complaints most welcome [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2008, 23:00
Miketx wrote:
I don't have a complaint but more of a suggestion. Is it possible to show how many people are in a chat room without having to go inside? That may help encourage or remind users about the chat room feature. Also, it will allow users to know that there is someone in the chat room to chat with or pass time etc.
Thanks 8-)

we do - if you look at the links on the top left , you will see "chatting: gcbot"... we will have to find a way to make it more obvious.

any other suggestions? please call BS if you don't like something - you are the real users.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: How are we doing? - complaints most welcome [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2008, 05:25
Hi Praet - This has been a wonderful community. I really don't think I would have learned so much about the process otherwise.

This probably belongs to the support forum, but when I tried to join the chat last week, I kept getting booted out with "too many connections from this IP address" The other thing is, I think only gcbot shows up as chatting irrespective of the number of people who are in the chat room.
CEO
CEO

Re: How are we doing? - complaints most welcome [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2008, 06:50
Quote:
Hi Praet - This has been a wonderful community. I really don't think I would have learned so much about the process otherwise.

Many members help out even though they don't have to, so all credit to them for their generosity. I hope all of you will keep visiting us to share your knowledge with the class of 2011. :)

Quote:
This probably belongs to the support forum, but when I tried to join the chat last week, I kept getting booted out with "too many connections from this IP address" The other thing is, I think only gcbot shows up as chatting irrespective of the number of people who are in the chat room.

this is a known issue. we are working on it right now. :oops:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross, Darden, Yale SOM, Wharton, Kellogg (JD/MBA)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: How are we doing? - complaints most welcome [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2008, 07:31
I actually really like this community. I'm also a member of lawschooldiscussion.org which has a similar format for law school and it is pervaded by a general sense of elitism and douchebaggery. This site is so much more welcoming. Good work at creating an inviting atmosphere and keep it up!

"Sic volvere parcas..."

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Wharton, Booth, Stern
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: How are we doing? - complaints most welcome [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2008, 07:41
Great stuff, great work.

My only remark is the one that I made a while ago: the kudos system. Some people will give kudos differently than other people. Can that be sorted out? Could a team (say the mods) distribute the kudos? Therefore we would have a more structured approach. Maybe these mods could give 1, 2 or 3 kudos in function of the quality of the post (3 kudos would be fore exceptional comments).

I realize that there are advantages and disadvantages to this method, but what do people think about it?

Wharton admits, join the rugby team!! It'll be by far the best experience of your MBA life

Re: How are we doing? - complaints most welcome   [#permalink] 25 Oct 2008, 07:41