Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:03 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
SVP
SVP
 Q44  V50
Send PM
Re: How are you dealing with anxieties? [#permalink]
fall09 wrote:
I'm working from home for the past few months.So I spend watching CNBC from 9-6.Then I spend some time on my R2 essays.

Not having much work these days.I'm worried more about my stocks rather than my app.

How can you work from home everyday? What kind of profession are you in?
SVP
SVP
 Q44  V50
Send PM
rca215 wrote:
I totally feel your pain currently, but my anxiety is interview-related (preparing for one and hoping I get invited for another). Once those are past I'll be in good emotional shape, albeit with a keen eye on those decision release dates.

I know what you mean. I have my last interview next week.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
ninkorn wrote:
fall09 wrote:
I'm working from home for the past few months.So I spend watching CNBC from 9-6.Then I spend some time on my R2 essays.

Not having much work these days.I'm worried more about my stocks rather than my app.

How can you work from home everyday? What kind of profession are you in?

IT support.Today I went to office for few hrs to visit my co-workers. :-D
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Concentration: Management Consulting, Social Enterprise, Environmental Sustainability, International Business
Schools:Fuqua '11
 Q48  V47
Send PM
The election (and especially fivethirtyeight.com) was a great time killer for me. Especially since the websense at my site blocks most of the fun at-work websites (onion, youtube, etc). But for the internationals I highly recommend the site stuffwhitepeoplelike.com, if you want to best prepare for life dealing with your typical american late 20's Bschool crowd.

Who knows once the D-days actually approach though. Thankfully I'll be on planes/in airports all day for the Duke release date and hopefully skiing on a mountain somewhere for Wharton's. In sum: probably not the best idea to be somewhere with easy access to your email.
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
You are a busy bee today! I thought you had to work a million hours a week? ;)

I deal with my anxieties by concentrating on my yelling psycho client, I figure anything is better than dealing with her in a year from now :). I also deal by going to the gym, except.. I injured my foot and am limping like a gimp right now. I spend most of my day refreshing my email or checking my blackberry, whenever I am not sucked into a boring meeting or kindly telling my team that yes, they actually do have to show up to work today.
And most importantly I watch trash TV, which is exactly what I'm doing right now.

I have to say though, your friend that is a wannabe Harvard grad is the definition of douchebaggery. Who does that? I went to a techy undergrad so I rarely flaunt that around for trying not to look like a geek purposes, but I'd gladly wear any school gear to the gym if I get accepted. It'll be the first thing I purchase (except the deposit of course).

ninkorn wrote:
I am sure I am not the only one here…

Since applying to 6 schools for Round 1 (Yale, Stern, Kellogg, Booth, Haas, Tuck) with only one interview remaining (Booth next Tuesday), I am constantly visiting this forum to see if anyone else received any news from adcom.

Yes yes, I know. It’s too early…..but I just can’t help myself.

Lately, I’ve been very unproductive at work. I used to be a morning person and got lots of work done before 11am. Now I come into work every morning and all I do is check this forum, then check all embark application webpages for status updated then back to my email account…

This past Thanksgiving weekend I spent countless hours at Best Buy trying to decide which laptop to buy for b-school. Then I began to think about other items for b-school – such as Amazon Kindle, Netbooks, Wireless Scanner, etc etc.

Now that it’s the first day of December and much closer to decision date, I am filled with anxiety attacks…

While staring and re-reading b-school main web page information over and over again, I tell myself:

“Those Tuck students in the pics look so happy…..lucky bast*rds…I wish I can be one of them…….”

“Damn you Haas adcom!!!! I paid you good money for processing my app. And now you tell me processing is behind schedule due to sheer volume of apps??? Hire more bodies!!! It’s recession!!!”

“Maybe I should have slipped $20 in the application envelope so my application will process before other applicants…”

“If I donate some money to Stern alumni fund now, would they notice?????”

“God, if Booth accepts me, the first thing I am gonna do is go visit their online bookstore and buy Booth sweatshirt and I am gonna wear it to gym everyday to represent…..”

How are you dealing with your anxieties? What are you doing to cope with decision related issues?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Non-profit, GM
Schools:Ross, Darden, Yale SOM, Wharton, Kellogg (JD/MBA)
 Q44  V44
Send PM
I think that the best cure for b-school anxiety is workng on some Round 2 apps. :) Or pick up a dual degree and go through the whole process of testing, writing essays, etc for a whole different program! ;)
SVP
SVP
 Q44  V50
Send PM
jlola21 wrote:
You are a busy bee today! I thought you had to work a million hours a week? ;)

I deal with my anxieties by concentrating on my yelling psycho client, I figure anything is better than dealing with her in a year from now :). I also deal by going to the gym, except.. I injured my foot and am limping like a gimp right now. I spend most of my day refreshing my email or checking my blackberry, whenever I am not sucked into a boring meeting or kindly telling my team that yes, they actually do have to show up to work today.
And most importantly I watch trash TV, which is exactly what I'm doing right now.

I have to say though, your friend that is a wannabe Harvard grad is the definition of douchebaggery. Who does that? I went to a techy undergrad so I rarely flaunt that around for trying not to look like a geek purposes, but I'd gladly wear any school gear to the gym if I get accepted. It'll be the first thing I purchase (except the deposit of course).

1) What can I say? The closer I am to the decision date, the more I am aware that I can say to this job: "KISS MY A**" :-D

2) My friend is very shameless. He acknowledges his "douchebaggery" but he says he doesn't care....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Non-profit, GM
Schools:Ross, Darden, Yale SOM, Wharton, Kellogg (JD/MBA)
 Q44  V44
Send PM
You better believe that after all of this I am going to buy and proudly wear the hoodie of whatever b-school I end up going to.

That being said, I ran into a guy at the GAP over the weekend rocking an HBS quarter-zip fleece. It just screamed douche. I struck up a conversation with him for the heck of it. Yup, a douche.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 143 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, VC
Schools:Wharton, LBS, UChicago, Kellogg MMM (Donald Jacobs Scholarship), Stanford, HBS
 Q47  V45
Send PM
If I don't see any update on the Kellogg website after 5pm Midwest time today I am going to freak out*.

* Unless I get a Stanfor interview in the meantime, that is.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Schools:Georgetown '11
Send PM
well....my whole application strategy is comming apart at the seams right now....no interview from cornell (was thinking my GMAT would open the door there). Now I feel like that line from the 7 phases of the b-school ap thread "Cornell rejected me? if they can reject me ANYONE can reject me." it's fun. yeah, that's the word.

I'm asking for a kindle for christmas and will probably be asking for some cool winter gear too just in case I get into Tuck. (oh please can I get into tuck santa? I'll be a good boy all year long...well....mostly...)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Schools:Darden, Stern, CBS, Johnson, Fuqua
Send PM
ninkorn wrote:

1) What can I say? The closer I am to the decision date, the more I am aware that I can say to this job: "KISS MY A**" :-D

Oh wait...I'm supposed to wait until I get in somewhere before saying that? You would think I would be a little more cautious given the current economy, but my motivation at work has dropped close to zero.

Speaking of lack of motivation, anyone want to finish my last 2 apps for me? :lol:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Schools:Georgetown '11
Send PM
LeftOut wrote:
ninkorn wrote:

Oh wait...I'm supposed to wait until I get in somewhere before saying that? You would think I would be a little more cautious given the current economy, but my motivation at work has dropped close to zero.

yeah, seriously....SO looking forward to reinacting half baked around here.
SVP
SVP
 Q44  V50
Send PM
I think I have Pre-MBA Uncertainti-nitis….and Kellogg is responsible….

After Thanksgiving holiday, I’ve been suffering from following symptoms:

1) Sweet talking to my cellphone while waiting for Kellogg call. “Oh Moto-Q, you sexy thing…..please ring…and make sure it has Evanston area code….with nice folks of Kellogg Adcom on the other end…..”
2) Keep on refreshing my gmail account for any emails from adcom – “come on! Refresh! Come on! Have a message in my inbox! Ok, 58th click is the charm…”
3) Donating dollar bills to the homeless on the streets of NYC for good karma… “Oh sweet karma….look I am sharing with the unfortunate ppl….please create positive reciprocity in the form of acceptance letters from MBA programs….”
4) Calling Verizon Wireless customer service and demanding to speak with that “Can you hear me now” guy on Verizon Commercials…”Could you please send that guy from your commercial and his army to my place…..I don’t think my phone is working well. Yes, it has full bar and yes, I am indeed calling from my cellphone but for some reason I don’t think it is connecting me with certain individual from Evanston area B-school….”

Anyone know a cure? Or is my only cure the phone call?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Concentration: Consulting
 Q49  V42
Send PM
ninkorn wrote:
Or is my only cure the phone call?

This. But possibly lots of alcohol.
SVP
SVP
 Q44  V50
Send PM
sam77sam7 wrote:
ninkorn wrote:
Or is my only cure the phone call?

This. But possibly lots of alcohol.

Before? After? Both?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Concentration: Consulting
 Q49  V42
Send PM
ninkorn wrote:
Before? After? Both?

Well, I will say this, if that call does come, you probably don't want to answer three sheets to the wind. ;)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
Send PM
Okay, I made it two days without posting, but I can't refrain for two more weeks. This place is highly addictive!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3