Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 00:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

how can I beat VERBAL GMAT?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Jun 2010
Posts: 5
Location: GEO
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

how can I beat VERBAL GMAT? [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2010, 10:07
Has anyone ever got section score 15 on the GMAT? I did :cry:

I just passed the test and got Q 40 and V15 !!!!

on the first test I scored Q32, V25 :(

can anyone give hints what is the best way to improve V score?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
3 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Status: Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.
Joined: 12 Oct 2009
Posts: 2793
Location: Malaysia
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 180

Kudos [?]: 956 [3] , given: 235

Reviews Badge
Re: how can I beat VERBAL GMAT? [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2010, 10:57
3
This post received
KUDOS
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 08 Mar 2009
Posts: 166
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [2] , given: 53

Re: how can I beat VERBAL GMAT? [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2010, 05:45
2
This post received
KUDOS
Kaldanina,

I think between your first and second test you concentrated on the quant part and this had an effect on the verbal part of your score.

For verbal start off by attacking SC questions. It is easiest to improve your accuracy on SC questions after a short period of time. Get yourself a copy of the Manhattan SC guide. It's the best book out there and you will be surprised by the effect it has on the way you look at SC questions.

The CR and RC portions of the test are more difficult to improve upon.

For, CR get yourself a copy of the Critical Reasoning Bible. The book is comprehensive and has details on all the types of critical reasoning questions you are likely to encounter in the GMAT.

Lastly for RC I'd suggest you read through all the passages in the Official Guide & the Verbal Review and analyze each one of them separately. Develop a framework to analyze RC passages.

- What's the main idea and purpose of the passage ( Is it a competing idea passage / Is it an explanatory passage / etc.)
- What's the structure of the passage ( E.g - Passage One: Intro; Passage Two: Further Details; Passage Three: Flaw etc.)
- Be on the lookout for portions where there is a change in the line of thought (e.g - generally words such as 'However', 'On the contrary', 'In contrast', 'On the other hand', 'Yet', 'Nevertheless', 'But' etc. will signal a change in the line of thought).

While reading fiction might help you to develop a reading habit it might not be very useful for purposes of the GMAT. You would be better off if you read articles from magazines/newspapers such as Scientific American, Nature, The Economist, the Wall Street Journal that closely resemble the passages in the GMAT.
_________________

If you like my post please click +1 kudos on my profile - Thank you!!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Losing Motivation? Michael Jordan | Nick Vujicic | Adversity
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Jun 2010
Posts: 5
Location: GEO
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

Re: how can I beat VERBAL GMAT? [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2010, 11:42
Thanks so much:)

I liked the idea to begin with fiction books alongside the preparation Materials! :wink:


KUDOS!KUDOS!...
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Jan 2010
Posts: 12
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: how can I beat VERBAL GMAT? [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2010, 06:54
If you are thinking of starting to read Fiction books in order to improve your score, sorry friend, that will not work (unless you are planning a year long preparation). What might help is a focused study plan: Identify your weakness areas and address them at the same time polish your strength areas.

The comments made by akaydee sound very reasonable in this context...
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Feb 2010
Posts: 214
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 1

Re: how can I beat VERBAL GMAT? [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2010, 07:06
shaz24 wrote:
If you are thinking of starting to read Fiction books in order to improve your score, sorry friend, that will not work (unless you are planning a year long preparation). What might help is a focused study plan: Identify your weakness areas and address them at the same time polish your strength areas.

The comments made by akaydee sound very reasonable in this context...

how do you address the weak areas while polishing the strength areas? i have problems doing that because when i focus on the weak areas by doing lots of practices, i forget about or don't have time to polish the strength areas. any advice?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Posts: 447
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 157

Re: how can I beat VERBAL GMAT? [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2010, 09:18
kaldanina wrote:
Has anyone ever got section score 15 on the GMAT? I did :cry:

I just passed the test and got Q 40 and V15 !!!!

on the first test I scored Q32, V25 :(

can anyone give hints what is the best way to improve V score?


Maybe you were exhausted, Maybe you had trouble focussing.

It might help if you took drinks like redbull or gatorade before verbal, I didnt tested it till now but i read on these forums.

Try working on giving full length tests.

You have several options for improving verbal-Manhattan SC, Powerscore CR, GmatPill, Knewton, Manhattan gmat, so on.

Try to visit the forums and work on the problems posted as well when you find time.
_________________

If you found the reply to be helpful, give kudos.

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Jun 2010
Posts: 5
Location: GEO
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

Re: how can I beat VERBAL GMAT? [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2010, 10:47
BlueRobin wrote:
kaldanina wrote:
Has anyone ever got section score 15 on the GMAT? I did :cry:

I just passed the test and got Q 40 and V15 !!!!

on the first test I scored Q32, V25 :(

can anyone give hints what is the best way to improve V score?


Maybe you were exhausted, Maybe you had trouble focussing.

It might help if you took drinks like redbull or gatorade before verbal, I didnt tested it till now but i read on these forums.

Try working on giving full length tests.

You have several options for improving verbal-Manhattan SC, Powerscore CR, GmatPill, Knewton, Manhattan gmat, so on.

Try to visit the forums and work on the problems posted as well when you find time.




It sounds reasonable when I consider it today. Red Bull might have helped :) I had to be burned out.

I did not score this low even when I first heard of GMAT and took a diagnostic test. I was shocked when I saw the results :(

I have been learning day and night for three weeks and in the end I was really exhausted but anyway I didn't take rest even a day before the test. Now I see it one should take at least couple of days before the test to relax after intensive learning :roll:

At the moment I think reading fiction is a good idea since I began reading The Great Getsby and there are plenty of words I could use on GMAT :wink: That's for sure, I can't rely only on fiction books and alongside them manhatten SC and RC seem reasonable to begin with.

Thanks for advice :) the site is really helpfull and there is a lot I of staff I may find helpful :wink:

It's pity I found this site too late :?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Jun 2010
Posts: 5
Location: GEO
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

Re: how can I beat VERBAL GMAT? [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2010, 10:56
akaydee wrote:
Kaldanina,

I think between your first and second test you concentrated on the quant part and this had an effect on the verbal part of your score.

For verbal start off by attacking SC questions. It is easiest to improve your accuracy on SC questions after a short period of time. Get yourself a copy of the Manhattan SC guide. It's the best book out there and you will be surprised by the effect it has on the way you look at SC questions.

The CR and RC portions of the test are more difficult to improve upon.

For, CR get yourself a copy of the Critical Reasoning Bible. The book is comprehensive and has details on all the types of critical reasoning questions you are likely to encounter in the GMAT.

Lastly for RC I'd suggest you read through all the passages in the Official Guide & the Verbal Review and analyze each one of them separately. Develop a framework to analyze RC passages.

- What's the main idea and purpose of the passage ( Is it a competing idea passage / Is it an explanatory passage / etc.)
- What's the structure of the passage ( E.g - Passage One: Intro; Passage Two: Further Details; Passage Three: Flaw etc.)
- Be on the lookout for portions where there is a change in the line of thought (e.g - generally words such as 'However', 'On the contrary', 'In contrast', 'On the other hand', 'Yet', 'Nevertheless', 'But' etc. will signal a change in the line of thought).

While reading fiction might help you to develop a reading habit it might not be very useful for purposes of the GMAT. You would be better off if you read articles from magazines/newspapers such as Scientific American, Nature, The Economist, the Wall Street Journal that closely resemble the passages in the GMAT.


Hi akydee,

I checked the online magazines according your advice and articles in them are really very GMATlike :)

Thanks for advice, they may prove very helful for GMAT RC :)
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Status: I wish!
Joined: 21 May 2010
Posts: 788
Followers: 108

Kudos [?]: 230 [0], given: 33

Re: how can I beat VERBAL GMAT? [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2010, 00:53
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Apr 2010
Posts: 154
Location: I N D I A
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 16

Re: how can I beat VERBAL GMAT? [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2010, 03:33
me too...

Q48 , V23 !!!
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Status: battlecruiser, operational...
Joined: 25 Apr 2010
Posts: 985
Schools: Carey '16
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 71

Re: how can I beat VERBAL GMAT? [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2010, 09:39
yeah, I did terrible on the verbal as well as quant lol. MGMAT SC is pretty good I have to say.
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 08 Mar 2009
Posts: 166
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 53

Re: how can I beat VERBAL GMAT? [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2010, 18:06
Absolutely no doubt about it. The Manhattan GMAT SC book has helped me bring my verbal score to the mid 30s.
_________________

If you like my post please click +1 kudos on my profile - Thank you!!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Losing Motivation? Michael Jordan | Nick Vujicic | Adversity
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: how can I beat VERBAL GMAT?   [#permalink] 23 Jul 2010, 18:06
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic how can i improve my verbal ........... mun23 4 25 Dec 2012, 09:14
Experts publish their posts in the topic I got beat by the GMAT joshhowatt 3 16 Jun 2012, 15:26
1 710...I beat the GMAT!!! spamsnasty 3 15 Dec 2011, 22:09
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic I wanna cry, I can't beat the gmat, 6 times netakay 10 05 Jun 2010, 10:08
How Can I improve my Verbal section in GMAT? GMAT_700 9 21 Jan 2009, 15:43
Display posts from previous: Sort by

how can I beat VERBAL GMAT?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: m3equals333, TGC



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.