Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 19:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How can I improve my scores? Help please

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
WE: Other (Investment Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

How can I improve my scores? Help please [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2012, 10:07
I took my gmat just a few days ago and scored a 370. .. I felt crushed because I hard worked hard for it .
My Quant score is 24 and verbal is 18.
I know throughout the test i panic-ed and especially after half way during my quant, when i find that there are no difficult questions and only questions on number properties, i was dishearted and i knew that i had screwed up my quant section... and my confidence throughout the whole test just went downhill.
When it came to verbal, I thought i had nailed it .. but i didnt realise how bad it was until i saw my score.

I intend to re-take my gmat but I have no idea how i should again go about studying for it .
I had taken a prep class, and went for all the classes, but i was now thinking if i should go for one-on-one classes instead?

In my previous test preparation, I have completed:
OG 12th
OG review (verbal and quant)
2 powerprep
Manhattan guide (SC, Word translations, Inequalities, Number properties)

I don't know how else i should start planning to devise another study plan to improve on my score.
I really really want to try to pull it up to at least a 700 in 1 month. Is that too impossible?
Any advice anybody? (*desperately plea)
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 287

Kudos [?]: 642 [2] , given: 6

Re: How can I improve my scores? Help please [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2012, 12:00
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
ylryong wrote:
I took my gmat just a few days ago and scored a 370. .. I felt crushed because I hard worked hard for it .
My Quant score is 24 and verbal is 18.
I know throughout the test i panic-ed and especially after half way during my quant, when i find that there are no difficult questions and only questions on number properties, i was dishearted and i knew that i had screwed up my quant section... and my confidence throughout the whole test just went downhill.
When it came to verbal, I thought i had nailed it .. but i didnt realise how bad it was until i saw my score.

I intend to re-take my gmat but I have no idea how i should again go about studying for it .
I had taken a prep class, and went for all the classes, but i was now thinking if i should go for one-on-one classes instead?

In my previous test preparation, I have completed:
OG 12th
OG review (verbal and quant)
2 powerprep
Manhattan guide (SC, Word translations, Inequalities, Number properties)

I don't know how else i should start planning to devise another study plan to improve on my score.
I really really want to try to pull it up to at least a 700 in 1 month. Is that too impossible?
Any advice anybody? (*desperately plea)

Hi ylryong,

Sorry to hear that. Certainly don't continue doing what you did before and expect different results.

It's difficult for you to see what you're doing wrong or not as well - until you see someone else do it the right way.

Simply attending classes won't do. You need do actually internalize the strategies and thought processes and take ownership of them so that when you see similar test questions in the future, you know what to watch out for. The books you mention are good references but it seems like you still need someone to show you the way.

Remember to mark down the questions you get wrong and constantly revisit them - almost obsessively - until you are 100% confident you've mastered that type of question. Of course, there are also timing strategies and spotting pitfalls involved.

Hope that helps for now. If you need extra help, we're here to help.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton '15, CBS '15
GMAT Date: 06-30-2012
GPA: 3.7
WE: Accounting (Insurance)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 10

Re: How can I improve my scores? Help please [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2012, 12:34
It would appear as though you used the correct material. I guess the question is how was your performance when you were practicing with OG. One can go through all the questions but if he/she is not getting them right and more importantly not learning from mistakes made a score improvement is improbable.

Im curious as to what were your practice exam scores?

Reward wisdom with kudos

Intern
Intern
WE: Other (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: How can I improve my scores? Help please [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2012, 11:46
My scores ranged from 470 to 600.. I am booked for may 13th to re sit the paper... I do realise its perhaps I needed more practice on test papers.. Thanks loads for your help

One question though, is it necessary to purchase the 13th ed of OG if i am going to take the test in May?

My study plan now is to 're study' the areas I am weaker, e.g critical reasoning and data sufficency, theb take a test every end of the week until the faithful day .. Is this how its reccomended if you had to study for the re test?

Posted from my mobile device Image
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [1] , given: 82

GMAT Tests User
Re: How can I improve my scores? Help please [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2012, 00:16
This post received
KUDOS
OG 13 has only 200 new questions and I think that you do not need to buy it. Just review your mistakes, try to solve the problems on the forum and see the explanation.
While you review your mistakes, do not forget to review yours strength ..
If you do the test, you can skip the AWA on the first 2 tests.
Do OG and verbal review twice.
Prepare your mental in the test - Panic is a killer ..
Hope it helps

Kudos!!!... If you think I help you in some ways....

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: How can I improve my scores? Help please [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2012, 01:10
@ylryong: I'm in the same boat with you... What is your rate of doing OG? I heard many people said that the questions of OG are somewhat easier than those of real test.
@hellscream+Gmatpill: Thanks for your advice. I will try doing them.
Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS '14
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 8

Re: How can I improve my scores? Help please [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2012, 04:36
ylryong, Don't give in! It's probably very frustrating to have such a low result, but you have enough time to reach the 600' club. However, it all depens on your target. In my opinion, with the verbal basics and a lot of math practice you could score V25-26 and Q42-44 which is somewhere in the low 600'.
On the other hand, IMO, if your goal is landing a TOP program, you have to reschedule your next date and sacrifice much more time.

KUDOS needed URGENTLY. Thank you in advance and be ACTIVE!

Re: How can I improve my scores? Help please   [#permalink] 12 Apr 2012, 04:36