Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Dec 2014, 02:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How Can I improve my Verbal section in GMAT?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

How Can I improve my Verbal section in GMAT? [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2009, 15:43
My target score is between 590 - 630.
Most of the time, I am getting 43 - 47 for math section and 17 - 20 for verbal. I am just getting tired. I do not know how to improve my verbal. By the way, I have used OG 11th, private tutor, Manhattan SC GMAT Book and GMATPrep. Please note that in Verbal section, MOST of the time, I stuck between two answer choices. In other words, I can eliminate some of the wrong choices right away.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 1

Re: How Can I improve my Verbal section in GMAT? [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2009, 21:11
GMAT_700 wrote:
My target score is between 590 - 630.
Most of the time, I am getting 43 - 47 for math section and 17 - 20 for verbal. I am just getting tired. I do not know how to improve my verbal. By the way, I have used OG 11th, private tutor, Manhattan SC GMAT Book and GMATPrep. Please note that in Verbal section, MOST of the time, I stuck between two answer choices. In other words, I can eliminate some of the wrong choices right away.

We are on the same boat. I want to know this too.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Fuqua
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 140 [0], given: 15

Re: How Can I improve my Verbal section in GMAT? [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2009, 22:08
I guess for most the non Native speaking English people, getting thru verbal is next to difficulty. BTW, I am also included in your boat.

Here is what I am planning to do atleast w.r.t SC. In the beginning I started reading MGMAT SC. Probably I even read couple of chapters twice / thrice. And I know which statement is correct and which is wrong. Hey....do you think I understood the points inside out that I was able to quote whether a statement is right or wrong. Then you are mistaken. The reason is that, if we read any simple English sentences, we automatically can remember what we read. But this is not at all the approach that we need to follow.

MGMAT is definitely a bible for SC. But it will be a bible ONLY when we understand the inner meaning of each sentence that is mentioned. Just reading it like a novel will be of no use. It is like reading any other novel. So here is what I have done. I overcame the notion that I have read the book. I started again from Page 1. After reading each topic, I was trying to understand every line of it. Am I interpreting the way the book is saying. I know the book has n numer of jargon words like Conjunction, additive phrases, antecedent, linking verbs etc........if you don't know what they are, then you can never under the inner meaning of the matter presented. So even if I don't understand a single word, I started googling and trying to understand what the grammar word is, make a notes on it and then come back to the matter in the book and analyze. This is how I am practicing. I hope it will work out.Since it is still in the beginning, it is taking time. (To complete one chapter in MGMAT it is taking me atleast 6 - 8 hrs). But I am hoping this give me positive result in the end. If you like this idea, then try following it and see the result.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 4

Re: How Can I improve my Verbal section in GMAT? [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2009, 19:51
mrsmarthi wrote:
I guess for most the non Native speaking English people, getting thru verbal is next to difficulty. BTW, I am also included in your boat.

Here is what I am planning to do atleast w.r.t SC. In the beginning I started reading MGMAT SC. Probably I even read couple of chapters twice / thrice. And I know which statement is correct and which is wrong. Hey....do you think I understood the points inside out that I was able to quote whether a statement is right or wrong. Then you are mistaken. The reason is that, if we read any simple English sentences, we automatically can remember what we read. But this is not at all the approach that we need to follow.

MGMAT is definitely a bible for SC. But it will be a bible ONLY when we understand the inner meaning of each sentence that is mentioned. Just reading it like a novel will be of no use. It is like reading any other novel. So here is what I have done. I overcame the notion that I have read the book. I started again from Page 1. After reading each topic, I was trying to understand every line of it. Am I interpreting the way the book is saying. I know the book has n numer of jargon words like Conjunction, additive phrases, antecedent, linking verbs etc........if you don't know what they are, then you can never under the inner meaning of the matter presented. So even if I don't understand a single word, I started googling and trying to understand what the grammar word is, make a notes on it and then come back to the matter in the book and analyze. This is how I am practicing. I hope it will work out.Since it is still in the beginning, it is taking time. (To complete one chapter in MGMAT it is taking me atleast 6 - 8 hrs). But I am hoping this give me positive result in the end. If you like this idea, then try following it and see the result.

I agree with you mrsmarthi.. this is really nice approach..may be I would also try for same..
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 74

Kudos [?]: 690 [0], given: 548

Reviews Badge
Re: How Can I improve my Verbal section in GMAT? [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2009, 06:18
For most GMAT test takers, many tend to score lower on the verbal section than the quant section. This is true whether you are a native english speaker or an international student.

I understand that you've tried multiple times already and tried various methods with little success. However, this is not the time to give up.

What you need right now is an Action Plan:

1) Use a Diagnostic software and identify your weakness in verbal section. MGMAT CAT exam does this. It tells you the type of questions you are weak, and also the score level. (i.e. - 500 to 600, or 600 to 700) If I remember correctly, you get about 6 CAT exams free with any MGMAT guide purchase.

2) Once the weaknesses are identified, MGMAT guides have specific problems and page numbers by question type in their guides. Practice these questions on OG.

3) Forget the time management issues for now. Do these problems and compare your answer/reasoning for choosing your answer vs the OG answer/explanation. MAKE SURE THESE TWO MATCH! Otherwise, you are wasting your time.

4) If your verbal score is low to begin with, then forget about thinking, "If I do difficult problems only, then my score will go up."
This is not true. CAT exams won't even show you difficult questions unless you get the easier level questions correct consistently.

5) Maintain an error log so you can revisit the incorrectly answered questions later.

6) Don't take another CAT exams until you repeat the above steps multiple times.There is no point in practicing with CAT exams, unless you account for your weaknesses.
Director
Director
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 99

Re: How Can I improve my Verbal section in GMAT? [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2009, 07:30
ninkorn,
Excellent points. Thanks.
Retired Moderator
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 5

Re: How Can I improve my Verbal section in GMAT? [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2009, 08:20
Great point on the mgmat test. I'm going to give it a try as well.

The only problem I'll see is that the question pool may not be representative of the actual gmat.

If I can't get a good score on my next verbal test, I'm calling it quits! :(

ninkorn wrote:
For most GMAT test takers, many tend to score lower on the verbal section than the quant section. This is true whether you are a native english speaker or an international student.

I understand that you've tried multiple times already and tried various methods with little success. However, this is not the time to give up.

What you need right now is an Action Plan:

1) Use a Diagnostic software and identify your weakness in verbal section. MGMAT CAT exam does this. It tells you the type of questions you are weak, and also the score level. (i.e. - 500 to 600, or 600 to 700) If I remember correctly, you get about 6 CAT exams free with any MGMAT guide purchase.

2) Once the weaknesses are identified, MGMAT guides have specific problems and page numbers by question type in their guides. Practice these questions on OG.

3) Forget the time management issues for now. Do these problems and compare your answer/reasoning for choosing your answer vs the OG answer/explanation. MAKE SURE THESE TWO MATCH! Otherwise, you are wasting your time.

4) If your verbal score is low to begin with, then forget about thinking, "If I do difficult problems only, then my score will go up."
This is not true. CAT exams won't even show you difficult questions unless you get the easier level questions correct consistently.

5) Maintain an error log so you can revisit the incorrectly answered questions later.

6) Don't take another CAT exams until you repeat the above steps multiple times.There is no point in practicing with CAT exams, unless you account for your weaknesses.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 74

Kudos [?]: 690 [0], given: 548

Reviews Badge
Re: How Can I improve my Verbal section in GMAT? [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2009, 08:32
MGMAT test scores are pretty close to the actual GMAT for many people.

Also, the key here isn't whether MGMAT questions are like GMAT. You guys need to figure out THE TYPE OF QUESTIONS that you guys need to concentrate on.

Most of your studies/practice should be done using OG questions mentioned in the back of each MGMAT guide.

bigfernhead wrote:
Great point on the mgmat test. I'm going to give it a try as well.

The only problem I'll see is that the question pool may not be representative of the actual gmat.

If I can't get a good score on my next verbal test, I'm calling it quits! :(
Manager
Manager
Schools: Harvard Business School, Stanford
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 9

Re: How Can I improve my Verbal section in GMAT? [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2009, 21:09
Thank you ninkorn, you have a good point about MGMAT SC guide.

bigfernhead, dude, never give up. Just try harder and you will get there.
Retired Moderator
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 5

Re: How Can I improve my Verbal section in GMAT? [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2009, 06:09
I'm trying! :-D

Ibodullo wrote:
Thank you ninkorn, you have a good point about MGMAT SC guide.

bigfernhead, dude, never give up. Just try harder and you will get there.
Re: How Can I improve my Verbal section in GMAT?   [#permalink] 17 Feb 2009, 06:09