Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 10:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How closely are undergraduate transcripts examined?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
BSchool Forum Moderator
Affiliations: SPG Platinum, Southwest A-List
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.56
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 24

Premium Member
How closely are undergraduate transcripts examined? [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 19:46
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi,

I have a decent cumulative GPA (3.56). I double majored in Mathematical Economic Analysis and German Studies and graduated in three years from a Top 20 university. I'm wondering how closely undergraduate transcripts are examined because of the following:

1) Given my major, this may sound strange, but I never had the chance to take an accounting course. It was only offered in the Fall, and the way my university staggered class registration, spots filled up before I could ever sign up. If I had stayed for my fourth year, I definitely would have gotten into the class. Will this count against me in my application? I do have a solid math background; I took single- and multivariable calculus, as well as differential equations. In addition, I've accumulated two years of management consulting experience in solely finance projects, though that doesn't make me an expert. If this does count against me, should I take an accounting course and do you have any recommendations? I split my time between Dallas and Houston, so any of the universities in those cities are game. I'm also fine with taking an online course, if it's just as reputable.

2) I made mostly A's and B's in my math and economics courses. In my opinion, the few C's I made were in inconsequential courses (Advanced Game Theory, Multivariable Calculus), with the exception of Financial Economics, which I took during my last semester. The concepts didn't trouble me. It was just my first time juggling a part-time internship and a full-time course load. I didn't give enough attention to the class. Again, will this reflect poorly on me / require explanation?

Alternatively, I would appreciate it if someone could direct me to an existing thread on this topic.

Many thanks!
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2276

Kudos [?]: 8795 [3] , given: 3666

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: How closely are undergraduate transcripts examined? [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 20:34
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
I don't think you need to worry about not having an Accounting on your profile. BSchools don't want just the bschool people and no program REQUIRES you to take accounting courses prior as far as I am aware.

As to the C's that may be helpful to explain in one of the optional essays (if you don't have bigger fish to fry/address there). GPA matters quite a bit in the applications as it reflects your commitment and edu potential so it would need to be covered one way or another, even though these are pretty hard/non-essential classes.

P.S. Congrats on being an SPG Plat member.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

BSchool Forum Moderator
Affiliations: SPG Platinum, Southwest A-List
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.56
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 24

Premium Member
Re: How closely are undergraduate transcripts examined? [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 20:40
Thanks for the advice! I had just read elsewhere on this forum that a girl was encouraged to take an accounting course during her Stanford interview. But there are plenty of applicants who haven't taken an accounting course, so I can see why it's not a requirement. I also probably won't explain my C's in the optional essays section, since, like you said, they were hard/non-essential classes, and I don't want to unnecessarily draw attention to them.

And congrats on the UA and HH statuses! I should probably capitalize on other hotel programs, but I'm such a fan of Starwood... :wink:

bb wrote:
I don't think you need to worry about not having an Accounting on your profile. BSchools don't want just the bschool people and no program REQUIRES you to take accounting courses prior as far as I am aware.

As to the C's that may be helpful to explain in one of the optional essays (if you don't have bigger fish to fry/address there). GPA matters quite a bit in the applications as it reflects your commitment and edu potential so it would need to be covered one way or another, even though these are pretty hard/non-essential classes.

P.S. Congrats on being an SPG Plat member.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2276

Kudos [?]: 8795 [0], given: 3666

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: How closely are undergraduate transcripts examined? [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 21:11
Expert's post
Actually to answer the exact question you asked (sorry for beating around the bush) - nothing gets away from the admissions really in the top 10, so if you ever wonder if they notice or not.... they will. However, with your background, doubt they will push for Accounting classes. I have known plenty of Military, Marketing, and other applicants all over the place who have not had any business background and that's why they wanted to attend the BSchool (Full disclosure: none of the references above went to Stanford)

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: How closely are undergraduate transcripts examined?   [#permalink] 20 Mar 2013, 21:11