Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Jul 2014, 20:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How competitive am I?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

How competitive am I? [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2010, 08:54
I was wondering if I could get some opinions on how competitive my application would be for some of the top schools (Harvard, Columbia, Wharton, Chicago):

26 year old white male
Working as an equity analyst at a major mutual fund company for 2 years (3 at matriculation) and prior to that 2 more years working in operations at the same company.
GPA: 3.4 from a state university
CFA charterholder
GMAT: 710 (92%), Verbal 38 (83%), Quant 49 (86%), Writing 4.5 (37%)

The percentile on the writing section looks really bad. I've only taken the GMAT once and I've heard that schools don't really care about that so I'm thinking I shouldn't worry about it? Thoughts?

My GMAT score is ok, around average for a lot of the top schools. I think it helps that my verbal and quant scores are balanced. My GPA is probably average or maybe slightly below average.

When I look at the median GMAT and median GPA for schools should I assume that the median is actually higher? I wondering if they just get so many more applications from people like me (white male in finance) that maybe it is going to be more competitive than those number suggest?

Do you guys think that I am really going to have to hit it out of the park on my essays to get in? Thanks.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: How competitive am I? [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2010, 09:01
Hi , Can any one Pl evalute my profile. want to apply for LBS, Said and Cass in UK

MBA : from top 20 B school in India - Marketing
GMAT : 620
Exp ; 10 years by spt 2011( 4 years in sales and product mngmt in consumer products & rest 6 years in Product and Portfolio mangnt of retail banking product with top Multinational and Indian banks)
- managing book size worth 0.4 B USD.

IELTs : 8

EC :

Associated with and NGO for last 11 years ; contributed significantly to bring slum kids in mainstream of country by initiated financial inclusion, my initiative was implemented pan india.

Got MD's award ( to increase business from 0.9 m $ per month to 90 crs per months in 6 months : when world was in deep recession and retail banks was worst impacted) , only second person to get this award in the retail business of the bank.

won 1st proze in the bank's marketing fest...

I really donot have any time for study , travelling more than 15 days in month.

want to join investment banking post international MBA ( of 1 yr duration).

Thanks
Current Student
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 66

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: How competitive am I? [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2010, 09:06
km782 wrote:
I was wondering if I could get some opinions on how competitive my application would be for some of the top schools (Harvard, Columbia, Wharton, Chicago):

26 year old white male
Working as an equity analyst at a major mutual fund company for 2 years (3 at matriculation) and prior to that 2 more years working in operations at the same company.
GPA: 3.4 from a state university
CFA charterholder
GMAT: 710 (92%), Verbal 38 (83%), Quant 49 (86%), Writing 4.5 (37%)

The percentile on the writing section looks really bad. I've only taken the GMAT once and I've heard that schools don't really care about that so I'm thinking I shouldn't worry about it? Thoughts?

My GMAT score is ok, around average for a lot of the top schools. I think it helps that my verbal and quant scores are balanced. My GPA is probably average or maybe slightly below average.

When I look at the median GMAT and median GPA for schools should I assume that the median is actually higher? I wondering if they just get so many more applications from people like me (white male in finance) that maybe it is going to be more competitive than those number suggest?

Do you guys think that I am really going to have to hit it out of the park on my essays to get in? Thanks.

Hey,

AWA score isn't the most important thing, but a school will see it, in your case it shouldn't be an issue.

Your profile is pretty good but also pretty standard for HSW, those schools will be stretches for anyone. There isn't anything that makes you stick out too much from what you have given us.

You will of course have to hit it out of the park with your essays, schools like Booth and Columbia, will be easier but by no means locks.

THink about this question: yes you may be a "standard" applicant, but what special factors do you bring to the table. Those will need to be highlighted to set you apart.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: How competitive am I?   [#permalink] 24 Oct 2010, 09:06