Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 22:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How Did You Decide On The Career You Want To Pursue?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 5

CAT Tests
How Did You Decide On The Career You Want To Pursue? [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2009, 23:22
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Everyone,

I know when applying to business school, people should already have in mind what they want to pursue as a career. Looking around this forum, the bulk of people know which schools they want to apply to because their selected school specializes in their future career. Unfortunately, I am not as certain towards what I want as a career in the future. This uncertainty has basically paralyzed me for the past couple of months. I ordered my gmat books, but I have not started studying because I wonder "What do I want to do? If I score well, I don't know which schools to apply to because I don't know what career to pursue."

This may be a personal question to some people, but maybe your answer to this question can help me figure out pieces to my dilemma. So, how did you decide on what career to pursue with your MBA? Answers would greatly be appreciated.

Also I found a another thread in this forum which listed some common careers people pursue with their MBA.
It was a lot of good information. Are there any other resources which show the careers people pursue? I want to research as much career options as possible.

If you read this far, thanks for reading and your help.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 1984

Kudos [?]: 6419 [0], given: 3565

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: How Did You Decide On The Career You Want To Pursue? [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2009, 23:43
Expert's post
Sanjuro,

Thanks for bringing the subject up. You're not alone. I think the stats somewhere said that people on average change their career 3 times in their life, so changing and being unsure is not a big no-no any more.

Have you considered Career Consultants? Yes they exist. I was thinking of changing directions and wanted to get a feel if it is a good move or I am having a mid-life crisis and should stay put.

Anyway, I think it could be worth it. The company I was thinking of is Bridgeway (there are a number of them around, but these guys are in Seattle and close to me): http://www.bridgewaycareer.com

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder

Kudos [?]: 6419 [1] , given: 3565

Re: How Did You Decide On The Career You Want To Pursue? [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2009, 17:12
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Another solution for someone looking for a career path are the profiling or career-matching websites:
(Found this in the Readers Digest)

1. http://www.profiler.com. This site uses reputable Campbell interest and Skill survey, a 320!!! question multiple-choice test, to winnow nearly 60 occupations and find the best bets fo ryou, using the responses of people employed inthose fields as a metric. It costs $18 and it is conducted/affiliated with Pearson, the same company that runs the GMAT Test centers :wink:

2. http://www.vocationvacations.com - will arrange for you to spend a weekend - at a cost of several hundred to a few thousand dollars - with someone who does exactly what you think you might want to do, whether that's acting or alpaca farming. Profiles introduce the mentors - an archaeologist, a landscape designer, a dog trainer, or a coffeehouse owner, to name a few of the 150-plus possibilities - an describe what you'll do together.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

CAT Tests
Re: How Did You Decide On The Career You Want To Pursue? [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2009, 17:52
Thanks for your responses bb.

I should get this thread going by telling a little about my current and past careers.

I have worked in corporate finance in financial planning and analysis for a fortune 50 public company. What I didn't enjoy was the huge amount of politics in that position. My career was not going anywhere and my co-workers were very insincere people. It was my first job out of college and I honestly didn't understand the work environment I was put in. I always received high marks on my performance, but ultimately I left because the company was going through a promotion freeze due to a merger.

My current occupation is an auditor which allowed me to earn my cpa. I don't particularly like this career path because it does not seem rewarding at all. I am helping no one and I don't see the fruits of all my hard work. The hours are terrible with little pay. I can understand if the hours were terrible and I was paid a great deal, but this isn't the case for this career. Politics are not as bad in job as compared to my last, partially because partners at private firms want people well educated. At my finance job, we had people with only high school degrees and they played the most politics because they couldn't compete otherwise.

Now, I'm looking for something different, something more rewarding personally and financially. Is anyone really content with their current career and would like to share their experience?

BTW bb, you have excellent posts in the gmat sections. Some of your guides really helped me. I think I will start studying soon for the gmats.

Thank you.
Founder
Founder

Re: How Did You Decide On The Career You Want To Pursue? [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2009, 04:09
Expert's post
Politics is probably the greatest annoyance with any lob. I don't think it has so much to do with the career, rather the team and environment.if you have a good boss who has a brain and cares, it makes all the difference. To, I don't so much care where I work or even exactly what I do, rather who I work with.

Just to report back, I took the profiler test last week and it have me a long report, a very neat one actually, told me what type of career fits best, which talents to develop and which areas to avoid. I just need to read through it now, which I don't really have time or much interest to do.

It's not something revolutionary but I felt it was worth $18.though, my value lasted for about 15 seconds that I spent reviewing it.

The results also had a few links to gelp interpret the results and take most advantage of the report.

Posted from my mobile device Image

Founder of GMAT Club

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kellogg, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley, Marshall, Mellon
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: How Did You Decide On The Career You Want To Pursue? [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2009, 06:19
Hi guys,

very interesting post!! I'll have a eye on it permanently looking for new responses.

In the mean time, my advice to Sanjuro is not postponing the GMAT. Start to study now, today is always late :(

Regards

mates, please visit my profile and leave comments
johnlewis1980-s-profile-feedback-is-more-than-welcome-80538.html

I'm not linked to GMAT questions anymore, so, if you need something, please PM me

I'm already focused on my application package :)

My experience in my second attempt
http://gmatclub.com/forum/p544312#p544312
My experience in my third attempt
630-q-47-v-28-engineer-non-native-speaker-my-experience-78215.html#p588275

Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 213 [0], given: 111

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: How Did You Decide On The Career You Want To Pursue? [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2009, 22:38
i just took that profiler test... takes 30 mins or so to get through all of it (and $18 as bb mentioned).

not the greatest survey, as it told me what i already knew (i would make a lousy farmer), gave me some cooky advice (told me to pursue being a librarian or secretary), and gave me a large list of possible careers at the end that were super varied (neurologist... geologist...) :roll:.

GMAT Debrief

Founder
Founder

Re: How Did You Decide On The Career You Want To Pursue? [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2009, 23:04
Expert's post
shadowsjc wrote:
i just took that profiler test... takes 30 mins or so to get through all of it (and $18 as bb mentioned).

not the greatest survey, as it told me what i already knew (i would make a lousy farmer), gave me some cooky advice (told me to pursue being a librarian or secretary), and gave me a large list of possible careers at the end that were super varied (neurologist... geologist...) :roll:.

:lol: sorry, I should have dug mine out earlier and saved you the $18 - it told me to be in advertising and marketing - I can't stand fluff....

Then at the same time it said to pursue financial services, international activities, and mathematics. Everything else is Avoid.

I ranked fairly high on the secretary as well, but did not get a pointer to develop it; I did get a suggestion to become a Fashion Designer. I can't understand how it relates to the Math/Financial Planner/International activities.

Also said, I'd be a great electrician. So, electrician, fashion designer, or financial planner?

Not very focused indeed. I think the expectation should be low.

Founder of GMAT Club

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: How Did You Decide On The Career You Want To Pursue? [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2009, 03:16
JohnLewis1980 wrote:
Hi guys,

very interesting post!! I'll have a eye on it permanently looking for new responses.

In the mean time, my advice to Sanjuro is not postponing the GMAT. Start to study now, today is always late :(

Regards

Yeh I completely agree with JohnLewis1980. A couple of friends and I had the same mentality.... "what's the point of doing the GMAT if I don't know what I want to do after?". My suggestion is that you tackle the GMAT head on and get it out of the way. Then whilst researching b-schools (assuming that you think it will help you in some respect change or progress your career), the essay questions will push you to look introspectively into your life, what drives you, what you want to accomplish. I personally found that exercise in itself forced me to evaluate and eventually come to a decision about my goals and career.

So in short, don't postpone it. Do it!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Tuck Class of 2012
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 9

Re: How Did You Decide On The Career You Want To Pursue? [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2010, 12:44
This post received
KUDOS
I'd recommend checking out Career Leader. It's MBA focused, and many schools like HBS and Ross recommend their stuedents take the test before they start with recruitment.

It's usually $95, and the the Ross website below offers a discount:
http://www.bus.umich.edu/Admissions/Mba ... nt/Career/

I liked the site. It basically reiterates everything you were thinking while answering the questions, but it does help you match your skills and personality with different careers like IB, MC, IM, PE, VC,...

I eat your big kahuna burger. I eat it up!

Founder
Founder

Re: How Did You Decide On The Career You Want To Pursue? [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2010, 15:02
Expert's post
Kudos - thanks. I am a bit of a sucker for these things. If I have time this week to do it well, I will go through it.
Ross offers $20 off the price, so the study costs $75. You must fill out the application form to get to the Ross landing page.

Founder of GMAT Club

Manager
Manager
Schools: Booth (admitted R1), NYU (interview Mar 4), UT (withdrawn), Rice (admitted R2) plus dings at HBS, Stanford, Wharton and CBS
WE 1: Oil and gas
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 6

Re: How Did You Decide On The Career You Want To Pursue? [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2010, 01:11
some schools pay for career leader for the students. The other day I noticed Booth does, but maybe just for PT?

anyway, to the other guy upthread - get the GMAT out of the way. Preparing B school apps will help you to focus your career ideas. I went from vaguely wanting to combine energy and finance somehow to knowing I intend to do sell side equity research specializing in energy stocks and later getting into buy side research and ultimately PM.

If I said something intelligent, it was probably by accident. But click "kudos" anyway - it will make me happy.

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 288

GMAT Tests User
Re: How Did You Decide On The Career You Want To Pursue? [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2010, 12:45
ezekiel2517 wrote:
I'd recommend checking out Career Leader. It's MBA focused, and many schools like HBS and Ross recommend their stuedents take the test before they start with recruitment.

It's usually $95, and the the Ross website below offers a discount:
http://www.bus.umich.edu/Admissions/Mba ... nt/Career/

I liked the site. It basically reiterates everything you were thinking while answering the questions, but it does help you match your skills and personality with different careers like IB, MC, IM, PE, VC,...

This test is awesome, thanks a lot! I've always wondered how my skills/interests correlate (quantitatively) with post-MBA careers and the "Business Career Profiles: Select the career of your choice to learn more about it, and how well you match up." is like magic!!!

Highly recommend this test to fellow drifters...

All's well that ends well...

GMAT debrief

Re: How Did You Decide On The Career You Want To Pursue?   [#permalink] 22 Jul 2010, 12:45