Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 07:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How did you decide to move away from home/family to do MBA?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

How did you decide to move away from home/family to do MBA? [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2012, 22:02
This is a bit of a random question, but thought I'd throw it out there to see if anyone has any thoughts.

I'm a Canadian contemplating moving to the US to do my MBA (and pursue employment opportunities afterwards). I'm very close with my family, and I think that's the biggest thing holding me back right now - the decision to move away to another country (on a fairly indefinite basis).

So to all of you who have been in this position before, or are in a similar situation right now, how did you make your decision to move away and start fresh? Or conversely, for those of you who ultimately decided that family (or friends or comfort level, whatever the case may be) was important enough to hold you back, and was a strong enough factor to convince you to pursue MBA studies closer to home, do you regret your decision? Do you wish you'd have taken the risk and moved away further to pursue your studies?

What other factors do you consider when deciding on geographical region for 1) MBA studies and 2) post-MBA employment? (mainly in regards to the home vs move away debate)
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

Re: How did you decide to move away from home/family to do MBA? [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2012, 16:07
Expert's post
It is my understanding that getting out of comfort zone is essential to a person's overall growth.( I did that when I moved from India to the US, and I have grown immensely during these 11 years.) A change can be a little daunting in the beginning, but it always turns out to be rewarding in the end.I don't see why you should not move out of your nest and spread your wings here in the US.

Trust me, your family is so close to the US that you would not even feel you are away from them because you can always go meet them .Leaving your home in Canada for MBA in the US will definitely be worth your while. I have worked with applicants who have happily moved from India to begin their MBA journey in the other part of the world- USA.

I hope it helped.

MyEssayReview - A personalized and dedicated essay-review service
Email:poonam@myessayreview.com

Image Image Image

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.47
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 1

Re: How did you decide to move away from home/family to do MBA? [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2012, 09:34
I think moving away from home is a very personal decision and everyone has their own factors to take into account. I am going to have to disagree with Poonamtandon's comment about "getting out of comfort zone equals person's growth". Moving away from home to go to college at 18 is very different than moving away at 28 to do an MBA. At or around this age I think a person does not need to move far away from home for personal growth. Plus in zesty's case, I don't think he/she will be learning and living in a completely alien culture either.

For me personally, as I get ready to move half way around the world to pursue my MBA at Tuck, I took the following factors into account:

- I wanted an MBA from a TOP school. Most of the top schools exist in the U.S. with a couple in Europe, but hardly any near my own location (in Asia).

- I have lived in the U.S. for several years before and have a lot of friends and family there. This will make the transition easier. And because of this I decided not to apply to any Euro programs.

- I am single, which I think makes packing up and moving away significantly easier.

- I am completely open to considering different locations for my post-MBA career. I am not necessarily adamant about moving back home after my MBA. If I was, I would most likely not move to the U.S. for my MBA.

In your case, I think the move will be easier than for many others. This is because you will pretty much be in the same geographic region. Plus after your MBA, you can as easily recruit for jobs in Canada as in the U.S., just in case you want to move back. Plus you will have shorter and cheaper flights to home than ANY other international student :). I say go ahead and apply!
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 670 Q42 V40
GPA: 2.94
WE: Consulting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 8

Re: How did you decide to move away from home/family to do MBA? [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2012, 07:04
on a side note, why would you want to move from Canada to the states? From what I gather, Canada's supporting a decent job market at the moment, at least one better than the states (lower unemployment rate as well)
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 590 Q36 V35
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.42
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 10

Re: How did you decide to move away from home/family to do MBA? [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2012, 08:03
I strongly agree with Poonam's opinion that getting outside of your comfort level is a huge for your growth. To build upon that, a some MBA programs are less regional than others. So, you shouldn't automatically feel as though your program decision will dictate where you'll be post MBA.
Re: How did you decide to move away from home/family to do MBA?   [#permalink] 19 Jul 2012, 08:03