Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 13 Jul 2014, 06:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How did you non-native English speakers learn English?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 29

How did you non-native English speakers learn English? [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 16:52
I was born in Germany, but my father was a member of the US military, so I learned both English and German as a child, but am curious how those of you who grew up learning a language that is not English learned English.

If my post helped you, please consider giving me kudos.

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 123

Kudos [?]: 549 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: How did you non-native English speakers learn English? [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 00:17
Expert's post
commdiver wrote:
I was born in Germany, but my father was a member of the US military, so I learned both English and German as a child, but am curious how those of you who grew up learning a language that is not English learned English.

I can't say about other non-natives, but in India English has always been treated as just second to mother tongue. We, in schools, start to learn our mother tongue at the age of 7 whereas English at the age of two. More importantly, here English is being touted as the language which can help us to grow our career. Unless its compulsory to speak Hindi, people prefer to be English speaking.
One more thing, some school boards such as ISC teach the toughest English if compared to what others are being taught in schools at that grade. So, for students from these boards, English starts to run in their thoughts.
This is what I can tell you about India's English speaking people.
Regards.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: How did you non-native English speakers learn English? [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 00:55
from my own point of view,not only experience is the best teacher but also exposure..we, africans, have been exposed to english speaking natives especially due to british colonisations dating back in the olden days..and there was no way we could communicate with them except through english..i truly believe that,us non english native speakers,speak the most fluent and perfect english only that we lack some proper accent..but we follow the grammar properly! Hope i have made a positive remark

Posted from my mobile device Image
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 304 [0], given: 190

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: How did you non-native English speakers learn English? [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 08:53
commdiver wrote:

Any native english speaker can work perfectly well in corporate India. He would have an easier time here than some of the European countries.
Its only for the India's economic situation else Bombay could well have been at par with London/Hong Kong.

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 29

Re: How did you non-native English speakers learn English? [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2013, 18:16
Thank you for the replies. It is interesting to see how global other countries. The US is certainly lacking in that regard.

If my post helped you, please consider giving me kudos.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: How did you non-native English speakers learn English? [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2013, 08:17
Hey!

I'm Swiss and French is my mother tongue. I studied English at school for 6 years (and German for 8 years, which might have helped) but when I started university I could barely speak in English. I never had the chance to practice it. I read a lot of material in English at university, and met a few international students which helped me practice the speaking part. And of course, I won't lie, watching my favourite tv shows is probably what helped the most! :lol:
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: How did you non-native English speakers learn English? [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 01:47
nouldali wrote:
Hey!

I'm Swiss and French is my mother tongue. I studied English at school for 6 years (and German for 8 years, which might have helped) but when I started university I could barely speak in English. I never had the chance to practice it. I read a lot of material in English at university, and met a few international students which helped me practice the speaking part. And of course, I won't lie, watching my favourite tv shows is probably what helped the most! :lol:

I agree :D
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: How did you non-native English speakers learn English? [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2013, 23:09
It depends on what region you belong to. At some places, its a language that's learned in schools. While in all countries there are institutions from where You can learn languages and get certified in the same.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V23
GMAT 2: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V47
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 141

Re: How did you non-native English speakers learn English? [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2013, 01:11
Marcab wrote:
commdiver wrote:

I can't say about other non-natives, but in India English has always been treated as just second to mother tongue. We, in schools, start to learn our mother tongue at the age of 7 whereas English at the age of two. More importantly, here English is being touted as the language which can help us to grow our career. Unless its compulsory to speak Hindi, people prefer to be English speaking.
One more thing, some school boards such as ISC teach the toughest English if compared to what others are being taught in schools at that grade. So, for students from these boards, English starts to run in their thoughts.
Regards.

Marcab did a little generalization. :wink:

I am from India. I studied in State Government school and English was introduced at the age of 10 or in Grade 5. Every other paper was in regional language till Grade 10 or till I reached 15. So real English started at 15, no doubt this is case for most of folks who were born before 90s and were not living in cities.

But then worldwide exposure of Indian economy paved the way of social uplifting and English was the only way to the top. And gradually English flooded the countries of India and I was one of the beneficiaries.

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well."
― Voltaire

Press Kudos, if I have helped.
Thanks!

shit-happens-my-journey-to-172475.html#p1372807

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: How did you non-native English speakers learn English? [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2013, 11:41
Cartoon Network :-D
Expert Post
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 119

Kudos [?]: 698 [0], given: 787

Re: How did you non-native English speakers learn English? [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2013, 12:26
Expert's post
ConnectTheDots wrote:
Marcab wrote:
commdiver wrote:

Regards.

Marcab did a little generalization. :wink:

I am from India. I studied in State Government school and English was introduced at the age of 10 or in Grade 5. Every other paper was in regional language till Grade 10 or till I reached 15. So real English started at 15, no doubt this is case for most of folks who were born before 90s and were not living in cities.

But then worldwide exposure of Indian economy paved the way of social uplifting and English was the only way to the top. And gradually English flooded the countries of India and I was one of the beneficiaries.

100% agree with you. Just would like to add something
Students were basically divided in two broad categories, Urban India and Rural India. In urban areas most of the student were used to go in CBSE or ICSE schools where English was the primary medium of learning. Surrounding culture was also giving these students great exposure to the English. The same scenario was in south India. Because of certain political issues, southern states refused to accept Hindi as second language and that place was filled up by english.
But, this was not the case in rest of the country. i remember, we first introduced with English in the 5th standard (in the age of 10th) and there too english was third language preceded by Mother-tongue(Marathi in my case) and Hindi. Even at the time of completion of our graduate degree we could only speak few english sentences.

The situation changed slowly after 1990 when Govt adopted a new liberal Economic policy and dramatically after 2000 with the IT revolution.
As our UID chief Sir Nandan Nilekani said in one of his speeches that now the English has become language of Aspiration and growth.
Now our state board (Maharashtra Board) as well made English as compulsory subject right from the 1st standard and this is happening across the whole country.

Narenn

Be the coolest guy in the MBA Forum - Be a threadmaster!

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Next Generation GMATClub CATS with Brilliant Analytics.

Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 66

Re: How did you non-native English speakers learn English? [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2013, 14:28
Expert's post
Survival wrote:
Cartoon Network :-D

Haha! In fact a lot of people here in Quebec (French part of Canada) learned English from TV, as we get all the American channels but more or less are forced into French education in elementary and high school. It's a great way to get started. You may not become a master of English litterature, but you can certainly learn how to speak better and recognize expressions through TV. There's nothing like being immersed in a language to learn it quickly, though. Go to (any English speaking country) for a year and you'll come back speaking the language well.

-Ron

Ron Awad
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting Services
Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: How did you non-native English speakers learn English?   [#permalink] 25 Apr 2013, 14:28