Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 01:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How difficult is the MGMAT CAT #1?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2013
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

How difficult is the MGMAT CAT #1? [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2009, 02:36
Three weeks into my GMAT prep, I decided to take MGMAT's free diagnostic test (CAT #1). I found the exam to be significantly more difficult than the questions that I am accustomed to practicing with, especially in the quant section. I finished with a score of 670 (43Q 38V) - while this is below my target of 700 (and I feel that a fair amount of my success can be attributed to some fortunate guesswork), I was generally pleased with the result as I still have plenty of time to improve before I take the actual exam in mid-August.

I'm interested to hear about others' experience with the MGMAT exam - specifically, how does it stack up against the real thing in terms of difficulty and content? Have others found MGMAT exams to be a decent predictor of their final scores?

Thanks!
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 262 [0], given: 86

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: How difficult is the MGMAT CAT #1? [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2009, 03:45
In my experience, MGMAT CATs give you a score that's within 10-20 points of your GMAT Prep score. The scoring for each of these CATs is quite different though, which is probably because MGMAT uses such ridiculous questions for added difficulty. MGMAT CATs are great for building speed and stamina, as well as another tool for predicting your score, but they risk sending you down the wrong path to work on problems you won't see on the real GMAT. Most notably, MGMAT's quant section requires excessive calculation to make the questions difficult.

Nevertheless, good job on the 670. You're probably capable of hitting 680-690 on GMAT Prep now, which places you well within range of your 700 target score.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: How difficult is the MGMAT CAT #1? [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2009, 09:09
I'm guessing MGMAT is pretty close. I took a GMATPrep on a Sunday and scored 680. Then I studied for a few days and took MGMAT #1 on Saturday and scored 680 again. My split was similar both times. So I would say it's on par in terms of difficulty.
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 398 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: How difficult is the MGMAT CAT #1? [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2009, 09:32
I agree with Avernusaur.

On the GMATPrep tests, I scored 670, and 680 (which was consistent with my MGMAT practice exams).

On the real thing, I was within the +-30 of my GMATPrep score.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: How difficult is the MGMAT CAT #1? [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2009, 22:39
I scored 670 in the MGMAT free test. And found quants on a tougher side.
Verbal, I cant comment, because its always difficult to me.
I am yet to take the GMATPrep. Do you think I should take more tests than these 3 ? My test-appointment is on 5th Aug. Not much time left you see.

My Blog - http://followingmydream.wordpress.com/
My GMAT story - done-with-gmat-finally-scored-81966.html

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: How difficult is the MGMAT CAT #1? [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2009, 05:38
waiwai wrote:
I scored 670 in the MGMAT free test. And found quants on a tougher side.
Verbal, I cant comment, because its always difficult to me.
I am yet to take the GMATPrep. Do you think I should take more tests than these 3 ? My test-appointment is on 5th Aug. Not much time left you see.

Hi Waiwai - I am taking the gmat for the 2nd time in 2 weeks. I did just okay the first time - 95% percentile on the verbal and 65% on the quant. I should have done much better on quant but I paniced somewhat, spending 5 minutes on the first question.

It seems you have just over 2 weeks. You should definitely take the GMAT prep and my suggestion would be to do Gmatprep1 asap then mgmat tests in between and then Gmatprep2 towards the end and the prep1 again.

Also one important thing I have learnt in my 2.5 mths of study is that the key is not to do as many questions as possible but to to makes sure the problems and questions you have tackled you know why you got them right or wrong and that you will not make the same mistake again. To reiterate, I believe doing 3 tests twice (create an error log of sorts and revise everyday) and making sure you understand all the concepts is far better an idea than doing 6 tests once but not being able to revise and properly understand where one has made mistakes.

I am not a big fan of RC and CR in mgmat (to be honest as mentioned on this forum there is hardly any good replica of the real thing available other than on gmatprep) so make sure you work on the SC's you got wrong in mgmat. For CR and RC you should make sure you have gone through the latter questions on OG at the least.

Best of luck and 670 is a good place to be at given how much time you have.

I hope that helps.

-talent is the desire to practice-

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: How difficult is the MGMAT CAT #1? [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2009, 05:46
Thanks for the advice. I am keeping an error log, would definitely revise....

My Blog - http://followingmydream.wordpress.com/
My GMAT story - done-with-gmat-finally-scored-81966.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.9
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 119 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: How difficult is the MGMAT CAT #1? [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2009, 19:31
i have not taken gmat prep (saving them for when i need them) but have done much of the OG11 + math official guide + gmatclub tests 1 and 2, and honestly I felt that MGMAT quant was definitely on the tougher side. However the quant section does have a VERY generous scale when you're consistently doing 700-800 level questions, so the score you get is probably close to the real thing.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: ACA, CPA
Schools: BC
WE 1: Big4, Audit
WE 2: Banking
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 41

GMAT Tests User
Re: How difficult is the MGMAT CAT #1? [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2009, 03:52
Did not quite follow you.. are you referring to the MGMAT scoring pattern to be very generous or GMATPREP ?

bipolarbear wrote:
However the quant section does have a VERY generous scale when you're consistently doing 700-800 level questions, so the score you get is probably close to the real thing.

If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton (WEMBA East)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: How difficult is the MGMAT CAT #1? [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2009, 04:26
On MGMAT CAT #1, I didn't fully appreciate this thing called "time" and didn't finish: 620.

You can read my story at the url below, but I ultimately fixed most of the time issue in and was scoring in the 680-710 range on their CATs. I think the MGMAT quant definitely runs a bit more challenging than the OG and the test itself, although it's not as tough as the gmatclub challenges.

690-q39-v45-surprised-likely-retake-73916.html

It was a decent predictor for me the first time through, whereas gmatprep was not.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: How difficult is the MGMAT CAT #1? [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2009, 06:01
I feel the correlation between MGMATs and GMATPrep or the Real GMAT depends on where you are in your prep. When I started my prep, I score a 720 on Gprep and a 680 on MGMAT 1. That was 1 month ago. Yesterday I wrote MGMAT 4 and scored a 730. And my score consistently increased over the MGMATs, but I think that's because I figured out the strategy to deal with MGMAT's QA, and this strategy may or may not work with the Real GMAT.

Fabricati diem.

Re: How difficult is the MGMAT CAT #1?   [#permalink] 22 Jul 2009, 06:01