Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 11:00 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 11:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Re: How Do B-Schools Look At a Younger Person? [#permalink]
Get a job, focus on getting an MBA in a few years. You will have a tough time getting into a top program without work experience. Even if you do get in, getting a job will be much more difficult than you can imagine.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
I second the fact that you should have some real world experience. Without duplicating what others have said, here's my additional thought. When you're in b-school, you will have to re-write your resume before the official resume is due at your respective career service center. All the first-years will have their resumes put into a book and companies who wish to buy and view them can do so at their leisure. Without any post-undergrad work experience, your experience will look like a kid's. What you'll have on there is simply part-time and summer internships, which can be important, but compare that to a person with 3 years working at a semiconductor facility as a quality engineer, or to a person with 5 years and 2 promotions through the ranks at Proctor & Gamble, or to a person with 4 years doing corporate finance work for Pfizer. I think you get the idea. When you apply to top b-school, a lot of people will have pedigree (i.e. undergrad institution and quality work experience) and numbers (GPA, GMAT, other certifications). I'm sure you have great quality as well, but you will fall short when it comes to quality work experience. And just imagine when the recruiter looks at your resume versus someone else's, you've got no relevant work experience to offer. Therefore, it will be extremely tough to standout in the crowd. Work for a few years, then think about b-school.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
I'd agree with the above posts. It'll definitely be a benefit to you and your classmates to get a few years of experience under your belt before starting an MBA program.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I am a student and i know that student life is very happy life.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 2.9
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Hey John! Hope you're out there and doing well mate. How has life treated you? Thinking of an MBA still? Let us know, this thread has piqued my humble interest! :)

Regards,
Vishnu

johnfitz014 wrote:
Hello everyone,
I'm brand new to the club and am excited to talk with as many of you as possible and get the most out of the club as I can.

I'm going to graduate from UC Berkeley in the spring of 2012 and would like to go straight into business school the following Fall. However, I am seeing that the average age of U.S. b-school attendants is around 28. Will I have a tough time getting into a school being of a younger age and having limited work experience?

Thank you!
GMAT Club Bot