Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Jul 2014, 11:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How Do B-Schools Look At a Younger Person?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

How Do B-Schools Look At a Younger Person? [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2011, 13:06
Hello everyone,
I'm brand new to the club and am excited to talk with as many of you as possible and get the most out of the club as I can.

I'm going to graduate from UC Berkeley in the spring of 2012 and would like to go straight into business school the following Fall. However, I am seeing that the average age of U.S. b-school attendants is around 28. Will I have a tough time getting into a school being of a younger age and having limited work experience?

Thank you!
VP
VP
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 237 [0], given: 17

Re: How Do B-Schools Look At a Younger Person? [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2011, 08:39
Yes. Most schools - even those who tend to prefer younger candidates - want candidates to have some post-college work experience before they enter an MBA program. Because so much of the MBA curriculum is discussion-based learning, there is an expectation that you will have some real-world experience to draw on and add to the discussion. HBS does have the 2+2 program, where you apply while in undergrad, but even then the admission is deferred 2 years while you work. Many other top programs, while not having formal minimums for work experience, do not seriously consider candidates who don't have 2-3 years experience. So while it's not impossible to get admitted right out of undergrad, you would have to be an absolute rockstar who has done some pretty amazing things while in school. Like "I started Facebook while I was an undergrad" amazing.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 321 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: How Do B-Schools Look At a Younger Person? [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2011, 18:22
Expert's post
johnfitz014 wrote:
Hello everyone,
I'm brand new to the club and am excited to talk with as many of you as possible and get the most out of the club as I can.

I'm going to graduate from UC Berkeley in the spring of 2012 and would like to go straight into business school the following Fall. However, I am seeing that the average age of U.S. b-school attendants is around 28. Will I have a tough time getting into a school being of a younger age and having limited work experience?

Thank you!
If you go into an MBA program without work experience, it would be very difficult for you to get a job. Most roles require 3-5 years of experience, unless you are planning to go into ibanking or consulting. Even then, you face an uphill battle. That's the reason top b-schools do not generally accept people with little or no work experience. I actually know one person who got into Stanford straight out of UG, but she deferred a year, and is planning to into non-profit post-MBA. At Duke, there's another one as well. But like Jerz said, you pretty much have to be a rockstar.

Diversity

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 691 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: How Do B-Schools Look At a Younger Person? [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2011, 16:59
Get a job, focus on getting an MBA in a few years. You will have a tough time getting into a top program without work experience. Even if you do get in, getting a job will be much more difficult than you can imagine.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: How Do B-Schools Look At a Younger Person? [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2011, 10:22
I second the fact that you should have some real world experience. Without duplicating what others have said, here's my additional thought. When you're in b-school, you will have to re-write your resume before the official resume is due at your respective career service center. All the first-years will have their resumes put into a book and companies who wish to buy and view them can do so at their leisure. Without any post-undergrad work experience, your experience will look like a kid's. What you'll have on there is simply part-time and summer internships, which can be important, but compare that to a person with 3 years working at a semiconductor facility as a quality engineer, or to a person with 5 years and 2 promotions through the ranks at Proctor & Gamble, or to a person with 4 years doing corporate finance work for Pfizer. I think you get the idea. When you apply to top b-school, a lot of people will have pedigree (i.e. undergrad institution and quality work experience) and numbers (GPA, GMAT, other certifications). I'm sure you have great quality as well, but you will fall short when it comes to quality work experience. And just imagine when the recruiter looks at your resume versus someone else's, you've got no relevant work experience to offer. Therefore, it will be extremely tough to standout in the crowd. Work for a few years, then think about b-school.

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: How Do B-Schools Look At a Younger Person? [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2012, 07:01
I'd agree with the above posts. It'll definitely be a benefit to you and your classmates to get a few years of experience under your belt before starting an MBA program.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: How Do B-Schools Look At a Younger Person? [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2012, 02:43
I am a student and i know that student life is very happy life.

Test Papers | Exam Questions | CertKiller | TestKiller | Exam Dumps

Re: How Do B-Schools Look At a Younger Person?   [#permalink] 31 Mar 2012, 02:43