Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 23:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How do closed interview lists work?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
How do closed interview lists work? [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2009, 09:09
There's been some talk about the lottery system that many schools have where you can bid on the open interviews.

However, I'm curious how the closed lists work.

Does each company just go through the resume book and start picking names? Or do have to actually request to be interviewed?

I'm thinking it's the latter as you'd have a lot of people on the closed list who have no intention of working for that particular company.

So how do you make it known that you want an interview? Do you send your resume on your own?

RF
2 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 74

Kudos [?]: 688 [2] , given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: How do closed interview lists work? [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2009, 13:27
This post received
KUDOS
I know this has been covered else where but is probably under school threads. It is going to vary by school but at most schools here is how oncampus typically works.

1) you submit cover letter and resume for job postings you are interested in
2) companies pick who they want from all the people who applied to the posting. However, the proportion of closed vs open varies by school...some do 50/50, some do 70/30, and some dont have requirements.
3) often they will have alternate so there will be people placed on that
4) if you didnt make a closed list you can bid on an open list slot. Most schools you didnt even have to apply to a job to bid on the open list. If you under bid you will be waitlisted in order of bid amount.
5) if all the open list slots aren't filled during bidding they go to first come first serve
6) if people accept other offers or drop out of the interview they will take people off the alternate list and if there aren't any or they used up all those they go to bid waitlist.
7) if people bail short notice they start making calls for people who applied if you bid or not to see if you are available. Thats usually if people get sick.

Most schools have fines and penalties for missing interviews.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: How do closed interview lists work? [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2009, 15:50
Thanks River.

So all on-campus recruiters post jobs before coming to campus?

Is there something in the job postings that tell you whether or not someone will come to campus to recruit?

I was reading the Tuck Student Handbook and it mentions losing access to the alumni database or recruiting priviledges if you don't follow the rules.

As an aside, I also found this...
Quote:
3. Dogs in Classes
a) The presence of dogs in a class session may occur with the unanimous approval of every
student and faculty member in the class. Any person who wishes to bring his/her dog to
class must receive prior approval via confidential, unanimous vote of the students and
faculty in the class. Without exception, if anyone objects to having a dog in class, the dog
will not be permitted.

RF
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 74

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: How do closed interview lists work? [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2009, 16:34
There are dogs that come in our building all the time but never in class...I would find it very distracting. Even if they are well behaved it just doesn't seem like the place for them. We have small dogs at TG and big dogs often are at sporting events...i have seen lab sized dogs in the building. I dont see an issue with that but a dog in a class unless the person is blind I would have an problem with and I love dogs. You know the dogs in class are most likely lap dogs being totted around by some girl in their purse anyways.

refurb wrote:
So all on-campus recruiters post jobs before coming to campus?

Is there something in the job postings that tell you whether or not someone will come to campus to recruit?

I was reading the Tuck Student Handbook and it mentions losing access to the alumni database or recruiting priviledges if you don't follow the rules.

On campus and off will be in different places as long as your system isn't horrible. We have on-campus stuff and then a job board...on campus comes in waves at most schools. So round A will have 50 positions, round B will have 50 positions and so on. Some companies post half a dozen different positions and sometimes across different rounds. Job board is like monster where companies just post stuff. All companies book out on campus stuff well ahead of time. This year was tough so I know Kellogg managed to bring in some new companies after the fact but that is highly unusual and is more a result of them bending over backwards giving recruiters everything they wanted.

Kelloggs "SANCTIONS" obviously which is applied depends on what you did.
If a student is found to have violated the Recruiting Contract, please be advised that any combination of sanctions may be imposed based on severity and/or frequency of violation(s), including but not limited to:
Verbal warning from CMC with suggestions for improvement
Written warning from CMC with suggestions for improvement
Letter of apology to recruiter and/or student body
Freezing or reduction of CMC bid points
Ban from attending future company presentations or events
Ban from using CMC Services (from 1 year to lifetime ban)
Ban from conducting future on-campus recruiting
$200 fine for missed interviews, or $50 fine for missed mock interviews

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: How do closed interview lists work? [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2009, 17:32
Thanks again River, your posts are always so informative!

riverripper wrote:
Ban from conducting future on-campus recruiting
$200 fine for missed interviews, or $50 fine for missed mock interviews

:shock: Wow! Actual monetary fines?

I guess that's a sure fire way to keep people in line.

I can see why it's so important to hold students to a certain standard when it comes to recruiting. They're pretty much the lifeblood of the school. As good as the professors and classes might be, if you can't land a job afterwords it doesn't mean much!

RF
Re: How do closed interview lists work?   [#permalink] 08 Jun 2009, 17:32