Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 11:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How do I go about any SC question?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

How do I go about any SC question? [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2012, 09:24
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

90% (01:40) correct 10% (00:40) wrong based on 20 sessions
i've currently finished Manhattan sentence correction guide.
at the end of each chapter, they've mentioned a list of question from the OG which test the concepts recently studied in the given chapter. when i know which error to look for, it isn't too difficult. but the problem is when i pick up a random question, i dont know how to go about it.

eg.
(OG 12, Q44)

The plot of The Bostonians centers on the rivalry between Olive Chancellor, an active feminist, with her charming and cynical cousin, Basil Ransom, when they find themselves drawn to the same radiant young woman whose talent for public speaking has won her an ardent following.

A) rivalry between Olive Chancellor, an active feminist, with her charming and cynical cousin, Basil Ransom,
B) rivals Olive Chancellor, an active feminist, against her charming and cynical cousin, Basil Ransom,
C) rivalry that develops between Olive Chancellor,an active feminist, and Basil Ransom, her charming and cynical cousin,
D) developing rivalry between Olive Chancellor, an active feminist, with Basil Ransom, her charming and cynical cousin,
E) active feminist, Olive Chancellor, and the rivalry with her charming and cynical cousin Basil Ransom,

please guide me as to go about any SC question. should i read the question first then go through the answers? or should i read and stop where ever i think an error might be (like a pronoun) and check all the options and eliminate accordingly, then continue reading? or should i immediately look for splits in the start and/or the end .. ?
i end up just eliminating 1-2 options and then just simply reading all the answers and choose whichever sounds right.. i know it's wrong. please help!!
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 11

Re: finished reading rules, problem in solving [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2012, 12:32
Use of 'between - and' correctly given in C.
got confused with 'that' in C. is it right to use that here?
but then out of all options c - the best
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 241 [0], given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: finished reading rules, problem in solving [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2012, 18:00
phoenixreborn wrote:
please guide me as to go about any SC question. should i read the question first then go through the answers? or should i read and stop where ever i think an error might be (like a pronoun) and check all the options and eliminate accordingly, then continue reading? or should i immediately look for splits in the start and/or the end .. ?
i end up just eliminating 1-2 options and then just simply reading all the answers and choose whichever sounds right.. i know it's wrong. please help!!

You should read all of the original sentence first and try understanding the meaning of the question.
Then, scan through the answer choices and find the differences between them, discover the error, eliminate the answer choices containing that error.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 11

Re: finished reading rules, problem in solving [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2012, 03:43
phoenixreborn wrote:
i've currently finished Manhattan sentence correction guide.
at the end of each chapter, they've mentioned a list of question from the OG which test the concepts recently studied in the given chapter. when i know which error to look for, it isn't too difficult. but the problem is when i pick up a random question, i dont know how to go about it.

eg.
(OG 12, Q44)

The plot of The Bostonians centers on the rivalry between Olive Chancellor, an active feminist, with her charming and cynical cousin, Basil Ransom, when they find themselves drawn to the same radiant young woman whose talent for public speaking has won her an ardent following.

A) rivalry between Olive Chancellor, an active feminist, with her charming and cynical cousin, Basil Ransom,
B) rivals Olive Chancellor, an active feminist, against her charming and cynical cousin, Basil Ransom,
C) rivalry that develops between Olive Chancellor,an active feminist, and Basil Ransom, her charming and cynical cousin,
D) developing rivalry between Olive Chancellor, an active feminist, with Basil Ransom, her charming and cynical cousin,
E) active feminist, Olive Chancellor, and the rivalry with her charming and cynical cousin Basil Ransom,

Dear phoenixreborn,
In my opinion one point makes a lot of difference thats you are a native speaker or not.

for me one cannot rely on "simply reading all the answers and choose whichever sounds right "!
one should read the sentence, find what is wrong and which option is fixing it. ths is not expert reply - telling you how i am improving.
i dont think there is any problem in "stop at error, find the option correcting it".
dont think you are wrong ! everyone has one's own method :). if you do it with 'i m wrong' - u wont be able to do it right.

Move systematically. i mean where you see error, it must be an error -- not just bcs you feel so.
you must be able to justify your reasoning.
Re: finished reading rules, problem in solving   [#permalink] 20 Jun 2012, 03:43